• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

cutting bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Castaration is something that has to be done right wether you band or knife cut you have to know what you are doing. When banding you need to know how to count to two. I have seen and heard of way to many that only banded one nut. I have even heard of a situtation where a feeder discovered the steers he bought all had one nut left in the gut. Seems as the guy that banded them thought it was a good idea to only band one.

I personally have done it both ways. I have cut somewhere between 7000- 7500 hd. with a knife and never have lost one but I am sure someday my luck will run out. I attribute my good luck on a very good teacher. FWW I never cut cords I only pull until they tear.

We went out and bought emasculators just like the vet uses, and then my husband had the vet show him how to do it properly. Emasculators will cut the cord, and crush it at the same time, so the bleeding risk is reduced. We wouldn't cut a calf without it, especially anything over 500 pounds.

It's well worth the investment to take one or two calves to your vet, and have him/her teach the proper way to do it. They shouldn't mind doing it either, because it's not a job vets love to do. :) They'd rather spend their time on bigger things. :shock:

If you get a bleeder, anything that can make it clot will help. Packing it with gauze, and then wrapping it up with vetrap will work too. That flour idea was impressive. :lol: Good job. :!:

I'm now using the Tri-Bander from Jeffers. I did one calf that was about 380 lbs, that was tricky to get one testicle through at a time. Two were two big and I had to cut. The first time I used my pocket knife I didn't realize it at the time but cut a big flap of skin near the hock. I put gauze and vet wrap on it and it was perfectly healed in a few days. The two I cut the other day I used the ear tag remover knife to cut the bottom of the scrotum off, then seperated the testicles from the connective tissue and pulled until they broke. No problems yet.
Are you guys giving the tetanus booster or just the one shot when you you band/cut?

Faster horses said:
There is a lady that raised Limousin cattle on the Tongue River and she cuts bulls standing up. Does a good job, too. First time we ever saw it done that way, she did it.
That's all I've ever done. Odd how different it is from here to there on some things. As a matter of fact, that's all I've ever seen done. We work everything in a chute.

Jason said:
I lost my first knife cut bull this winter. His testicles were strangely deformed and I had a heck of a time getting them down into the sack. The bull was from a share deal so I wondered if he had an implant that affected him. It would have been almost impossible to band this one. There was no sign of blood where he died but I assume he bled out internally.

The others were as big as 30 cm and 1000 pounds no problem with them.

Did you get him PM'ed?

We lost one last spring and we found him dead in the yard looking like he was just lying there sleeping. No blood under him or in him.

Turns out that he had an allergic reaction the the blackleg vaccine, according to the autopsy result..

Sometimes you can't win for loosing.

A post wouldn't make me any money. It wasn't as if he died without cause. No shots at cutting, maybe a lice treatment.

The deformed testes definately worried me in the chute, forgot about them until the next morning.

It won't stop me from late cutting some bulls. They feed better as steers than trying to sell them without enough nuts as bulls.

Faster horses said:
There is a lady that raised Limousin cattle on the Tongue River and she cuts bulls standing up. Does a good job, too. First time we ever saw it done that way, she did it.

Bein's they were Limo's, it probably helped them drop a little lower so she could find them. :wink:

Sorry for your loss! We use a bloodless castrator, the California Bander. Small, neat little contraption, better than our old one we used to have which was a Wadsworth bloodless castrator.

We also vasectomize our gomer bulls, last one the vet did the bull bled quite a bit... even though it was done surgically...

The California bloodless castrator plus a pkg of 25 banders cost us $55.00, including shipping and handling. Very cheap insurance :D PM me if you're interested in more details....

Latest posts