• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Da Vinci Code

Help Support Ranchers.net:

kolanuraven

Reaction score
Anyone seen it? I'll see it next week after crowds back off a bit....I LOVED the book...but I'm a quadruple history major from college days anyway, so that is right up my alley of interests.

Do any of you see " the conflict" in the book or movie?

Guys, I'm going to guess that a quadruple history major is well aware that it's fictitious and that has nothing to do with her question...

No, kola, haven't seen it yet, but I really want to. In fact, I just picked up the paperback today.
I've seen several History Channel specials on various aspects of the book (and why it's really not plausible...) and have found them quite fascinating. But have been waiting patiently for it to come out in PB before reading the book. :wink:

So far as the conflict-- frankly I don't understand the various Christian groups who are up in arms about this. Unless they think people aren't going to realize it's fiction...? :???:

theHiredMansWife said:
Guys, I'm going to guess that a quadruple history major is well aware that it's fictitious and that has nothing to do with her question...

No, kola, haven't seen it yet, but I really want to. In fact, I just picked up the paperback today.
I've seen several History Channel specials on various aspects of the book (and why it's really not plausible...) and have found them quite fascinating. But have been waiting patiently for it to come out in PB before reading the book. :wink:

So far as the conflict-- frankly I don't understand the various Christian groups who are up in arms about this. Unless they think people aren't going to realize it's fiction...? :???:
You're probably right. Those stupid Christians aren't smart enough to understand fact from fiction. Christians are the lowest of all the evolved religions. Morons of the worst kind.

Red Robin said:
theHiredMansWife said:

You're probably right. Those stupid Christians aren't smart enough to understand fact from fiction. Christians are the lowest of all the evolved religions. Morons of the worst kind.

I am sure there is at least one Mullah who would agree!

:D

B.C.

HMW,you amaze me,even when you agree with us lowly conservatives, your snotty about it!

Broke Cowboy said:
Red Robin said:
theHiredMansWife said:

I am sure there is at least one Mullah who would agree!

:D

B.C.

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

That was hilarious!

reader (the Second) said:
I have to admit that I couldn't read the book past about page 35 which is unusual for me. But my brother-in-law and my son and daughter loved it.

I will likely see the movie although I hear it is disappointing.

good friend of mine read the book---heck, could not put it down til she was done with it---and will be going to see the movie this next weekend!! Hope she is not disappointed!! :roll:

I'm not sure why Christians get in such a flap about these "threats" to our belief system. Have you not read Psalm 2:1-6 lately? It's not like the attack is directed at us. And the One who is being defamed is surely going to have His say before it is all over. You can take that to the bank.

Another interesting point is that when attacks are launched against the Muslim belief system, the author usually gets a bounty on his head. That does not seem to be the case with this anti-Christian book/movie and others that have insulted Christ's integrity. Why might that be?

HMW some things in the book ARE true and some things have been used with creative licenses....thus it's historical fiction, you're getting a little bit of both.

But if you're a person who is 'sound' in your faith and secure in it...no book or movie or internet forum shoud shake that faith or make you get ' snotty' or snide in remarks about said book or movie.

As far as the book being anti-Christian....where do you see that MLA? I don't think it ' takes sides' nor was ever intended to that.

But I as knew would happpen....one or two here instantly went snarky in their reply.

I plan to see it this wk. As far as the book goes I bought it when it first came out, last fall I believe, and I read in in one day! Could not put it down! The previoius book Angels and Demons isn't quiet as good , I liked it.

Mrs.Greg said:
HMW,you amaze me,even when you agree with us lowly conservatives, your snotty about it!

How is my reply snotty?? :???:

Unless maybe you're one of those who's so determined I'm supposed to be the bad guy around here that everything I say must be snotty?
Or are you referring to my point that the first three comments were nothing to do with the question, but merely pointing out the obvious? That wasn't snotty, but I did mean to point out that kola deserved a little bit of credit for already knowing the obvious just like everyone else...

HMW some things in the book ARE true
Of course. That's the fascination of the book. There's enough fact in it that it makes people wonder if it could be true.

And the One who is being defamed is surely going to have His say before it is all over.
Granted, I'm only a few chapters in, but knowing the basic premise, I don't think it's defaming. Or intended as such.
Christ is who He is. And frankly, I think it's perfectly normal for people to want to see Him as more human. That whole Son of God, part of the Trinity, Savior of Man stuff can be a bit intimidating. Personalizing Christ can make Him seem more accessible... I've read where a lot of churches are using the interest and curiosity the book/movie have generated to reach out and teach. Which I think it's smarter than the Catholic approach...
My adult Sunday School class has had this come up several times. And it's interesting to see who knows which parts are fact and which parts are invention. (We were obviously not the only ones who'd been watching the History Channel lately. :wink:) Last week we had a fun conversation on the gnostic gospels and canonization.

I will likely see the movie although I hear it is disappointing.
I've heard the same. In spite the hype, it's getting panned.

"quadruple history major is well aware its fiction"...thats what made me think you were being snotty HMW,you sometimes give the perception you think your better then some others on Ranchers,its obvious I'm not the only one that gets that same impression.Sorry if I hurt your feelings

you sometimes give the perception you think your better then some others on Rancher

Not really.

There are just several people around here who are determined I'm supposed to be one of the "bad guys" so that's how I'm portrayed. It hadn't really crosssed my mind that you were one of them, though.

But like I said, I was pointing out that those first few comments mentioning the obvious should have given kola a bit of credit for knowing the obvious too.
If you're actually interested, you three came across as a bit snotty as well.
confused-smiley-013.gif

Oh, and don't worry about my feelings.
There are several really nasty people on this board who go out of their way to try to hurt people, but you've never struck me as one of them.

I never read your or anyone elses posts with a closed mind,Yes I've noticed your pounced on easily at times,I just felt you came off snotty in that post,just because someone is a quadruple anything doesn't mean they are more educated then others on here, sometimes life is more of an education then books are.And yes there are people out there that do not realise that book is fictious.

WHOA here folks!!! Yes, I've got degrees up to my ears. I like to be educated...I like going to school ,learning new things and I still do at age 45! I go back to college anytime I see something interesting offered ... WHY you may ask.... BECAUSE I CAN!!!!

And guess what I also spend about 3 months a year watching cows arses for birthin' problems just like the rest of you do!! I've been up to my shoulder in " it" for way too many years it seems at times.

I like to consider myself aware of many things in the world...I'm no expert and never said I was. I was wondering what a general opinion was of the book/movie, that's all. I didn't take HMW's comment as snotty nor as directed at me. But re read the whole post and you'll see one or two that instantly get defensive and snarky.

This has spun into a cat fight with no provocation what so ever

Latest posts