• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dakota governor urged to block import of Canadian Cattle

Help Support Ranchers.net:

redcattle56

Reaction score
South Dakota governor urged to block imports of Canadian cattle
By JOE KAFKA
Associated Press

PIERRE, S.D. -- Republican Gov. Mike Rounds should follow the lead of his predecessor and close the state border to cattle from Canada, a potential political opponent said Wednesday.

Ron Volesky of Huron, who plans to seek the 2006 Democratic nomination for governor, said the recent reopening of the United States border to Canadian cattle and beef products has put South Dakota's cattle herds at risk of infection from mad cow disease.

The United States banned Canadian cattle in May 2003 after Canada's first case of the fatal brain-wasting disease bovine spongiform encephalopathy, or BSE. The ban was about to end in March when a ranchers' group persuaded a federal judge to keep it in place.

However, an appeals court overruled the judge on July 14, and the border was reopened.

In a letter to Rounds, Volesky noted that former Gov. Bill Janklow took the bold step of closing the South Dakota border to Canadian products in September 1998. Janklow orchestrated a three-week, inspection blockade of Canadian grain and livestock to protest trade practices that the four-term GOP governor said were unfair. He lifted the ban when U.S. and Canadian officials agreed to hold trade talks.

Resumption of cattle imports from Canada calls for drastic action to protect South Dakota's cattle industry, Volesky told The Associated Press.

"The governor needs to lead on this issue," he said. "We, as a state, need to stand up and fight for our cattle producers. It's just the right thing to do."

The response from Rounds' office Wednesday was brief.

"The governor receives thousands of letters each year and personally responds to each one through an established process. That policy won't change for political candidates," replied Mark Johnston, the governor's press secretary.

The cattle industry is the bedrock of state economic development, said Volesky, who spent 16 years in the state Legislature, first as a Republican and later as a Democrat.

A flood of Canadian cattle not only would pose a health threat to domestic herds but also would drive down cattle prices, he said.

"As a result, the narrow margins of profit which South Dakota cattle producers are currently faced with will turn into great losses," he warned.

"I recognize that this decision carries with it great political implications," Volesky continued. "Closing the South Dakota border would go against the wishes of the Bush administration, along with much of the Republican leadership in Congress."

Aware that he might be criticized for political posturing, Volesky retorted that Rounds would lose few votes by ordering a blockade on Canadian cattle.

"I'm encouraging the governor to do this," Volesky said. "I'm trying to help the guy out. I'm trying to help him do the right thing."

Another pathetic piss ant steps up to the plate. I'll bet he practices his speeches in front of a mirror. Probably an "Associate Member".

Ron Volesky of Huron, who plans to seek the 2006 Democratic nomination for governor, said the recent reopening of the United States border to Canadian cattle and beef products has put South Dakota's cattle herds at risk of infection from mad cow disease.

Is this guy just misinformed or is he trying to mislead the public?
Being that BSE is not infectious.

I'm trying to help the guy out. I'm trying to help him do the right thing."

Politics between political parties must be alot different in the states than it is in Canada. :roll:

Typical liberal democrat!

Can't see the bigger picture, CHUST DEM DAM IMPORT TRUCKS, YAH?

~SH~

What is South Dakota and Montana going to do about Texas cattle and the states cattle where the cow from today comes from if she is positive. Those cattle will be just as much of a risk as Canadian cattle are. Will they ban them too. When does it stop. When you have State by state juridiction and no cattle cross state lines. It is time to get a grip on reality here. :roll:

I heard today that he will also have all trucks from BSE infected American states re-checked for infection!

Good on you governor!

Murgen said:
I heard today that he will also have all trucks from BSE infected American states re-checked for infection!

Good on you governor!
Kind of makes you hope she was from South Dakota doesn't it. :wink: or somewhere in the Billings area :wink:

Ron Volesky will do about anything to get his name in the paper. I am just glad we have a governor who is smart enough to see the bigger picture.

mlsfarms said:
Yea for South Dakota if this happens.

Good display of utter ignorance and stupidity. Hopefully the 2nd case of Mad Cow disease is in your neighbour's herd. Then you'd wet your jeans.

He's done this before. Yada Yada Yada.

What happened last time is that the trucks went around South Dakota, and bought their fuel and whatever else they needed in neighbouring states. Cattle haven't been going to South Dakota from here in years.

With fuel high if SD has any tax on it at all, when the trucks start bypassing his state im sure he will crying in his beer!! :dunce:

Typical liberal democrat!

Can't see the bigger picture, CHUST DEM DAM IMPORT TRUCKS, YAH?

YOU ARE RIGHT SH!

Great Guy, this wannabe politician......making political Hay with the Ranching Economy....what a moron! I bet he bought into the R-CALf BS bigtime! :roll:

Hi, I sure hope we don't import the Anthrax running rampant in the Dakotas into Canada. Maybe that is a reason for Canada to shut their border to all US beef products?

Stupid question, but who owns the majority of cattle going South? I believe it is US owners that will be charged these "extras" And with the record prices they have been getting for the last couple of years, it shouldn't be a problem. Get er done!

It will be a small price to keep some of those Northern plants open!

Latest posts