• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dam is breaking.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch said:
12 cows and 13 calves so far.

You might be headed down the road we went down, we had 110 live calves out of the first 100 cows calved :shock:
After a break of about a week in the twin department I extracted our 12th set of twins from a cow this morning.

14 of the 18 cows have calved as of this morning - - - started 6 days early - - - if the last 4 come by the 24th they will have all come in 30 days - - - not bad for a young bull in his second breeding season.

George said:
14 of the 18 cows have calved as of this morning - - - started 6 days early - - - if the last 4 come by the 24th they will have all come in 30 days - - - not bad for a young bull in his second breeding season.

In your situation, that should have been a cake walk for a 2 year old bull. I have to say, I'm still
not fond of the look of your bull. However, the mark of a good sire is that he will sire better than himself.
Glad he is working out for you.

Faster horses said:
George said:

In your situation, that should have been a cake walk for a 2 year old bull. I have to say, I'm still
not fond of the look of your bull. However, the mark of a good sire is that he will sire better than himself.
Glad he is working out for you.

I feel most of the people here will really think I'm nuts that I'm going to buy a bull that has a twin heifer sister - - - U of Nebraska said not to use these bulls as the heifers they sire will have a 75% chance of twins each pregnancy. I feel with the climate here and ease of maintaining themselves the cattle can handle twins quite well - - - I know in ranching conditions most cows have to work too hard to try and support 2 calves and still breed back.

I do not always follow the crowd - - - and sometimes I do not get the results I'm looking for - - - when I fail I just chalk it up to a learning experience.

This morning it was +42F with sustained winds of 30 MPH and gust up to 50 MPH - - - I had cleaned the loafing shed and had not reopened the gate and when I walked out the door my spoiled girls were telling me all about it!

I opened the gate and allowed them back in the shed - - - open to the south for sun but enclosed on the other 3 sides so the wind does not blow in - - - about 30 minutes later all the calves were laid out enjoying the sun and three of the older cows were i with them, the rest were out grazing content that their babies were taken care of.

It got up to the mid 50s and the rain stopped so all were back out this afternoon - - - This is better than the winter we just came thru but I'm ready to plant!

Still have 2 angus cows and 2 smokey cows left to calve - - - if they come in the next 4 days I will have all in a 30 day period.

This morning it was +42F with sustained winds of 30 MPH and gust up to 50 MPH - - - I had cleaned the loafing shed and had not reopened the gate and when I walked out the door my spoiled girls were telling me all about it!

I opened the gate and allowed them back in the shed - - - open to the south for sun but enclosed on the other 3 sides so the wind does not blow in - - - about 30 minutes later all the calves were laid out enjoying the sun and three of the older cows were i with them, the rest were out grazing content that their babies were taken care of.

It got up to the mid 50s and the rain stopped so all were back out this afternoon - - - This is better than the winter we just came thru but I'm ready to plant!

Still have 2 angus cows and 2 smokey cows left to calve - - - if they come in the next 4 days I will have all in a 30 day period.

The weather is still getting in the low 30s at night and we hope to get to 60 today - - - light wind and sunshine - - - our normal for this time of year is lows in the lower 50s and highs in the upper 60s.

Still have 2 angus cows and 2 smokey cows left to calve - - - They just seem to want to wait for warmer weather! Possibility of 70 on Sunday so maybe that will get them moving!

Ours were officially due April 10th we had some early ones from the heifers and some boughten cows but were 1/2 done today but it looks like its going to get drawn out a bit.

Finally finished yesterday - - - we were to have storms that night ( and did ) so I put the last 2 in a 3 acre lot attached to the barn. Went out yesterday morning and had 2 heifers - - - ended up with 10 bulls and 8 heifers - - - 3 of the heifers are out of cows with a good track record and look good so they will probably stay around.

Latest posts