• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Damn Im tired

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Of dead batteries, every brand I tried are short lived and a PITA to change, Im thinking of getting me one of these and just run dead batteries.
I keep a good battery in my chore tractor but my hay tractors sit an awful lot especially when its this dry.
Anyway Im thinking they are about 95 hp and Im also thinking this oughta work ?
http://www.shopperschoice.com/item_item_371805.html?source=froogle&mr:trackingCode=EA2AC0C3-1EE8-E111-9B44-001B21BCB944&mr:referralID=NA&mr:adType=pla&mr:ad=16397963662&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:filter=19250232502&gclid=CL2pwujD9bMCFZGPPAodUEoAiw

Thanks & good luck

Haymaker, Why don't you get one of those solar trickle chargers and leave it on the tractor. They only cost a few bucks and even work inside if there is enough daylight.

I got one from Harbor Freight and put it on a fuel wagon. Kept the thing up for 4 or 5 years.

CP

Those work really good, as long as the batteries aren't stone dead, and even then if your machine starts good it will likely work. Can't speak for that brand, but I imagine in that price range they are all similar or even made by the same outfit.

Cowpuncher said:
Haymaker, Why don't you get one of those solar trickle chargers and leave it on the tractor. They only cost a few bucks and even work inside if there is enough daylight.

I got one from Harbor Freight and put it on a fuel wagon. Kept the thing up for 4 or 5 years.

CP

I never thought about a solar trickle charger..............thanks & good luck

Silver said:
Those work really good, as long as the batteries aren't stone dead, and even then if your machine starts good it will likely work. Can't speak for that brand, but I imagine in that price range they are all similar or even made by the same outfit.

They are stone dead and if Im gonna use the tractor the next morning I just put a charger on it overnite, but would be nice to tote something like this along then you could at least turn your tractor off for lunch.
Price seems right I been giving New holland about $150x2 for a tractor and seriously you things dont last over the winter, what brand do you use ?
good luck

I've heard folks have good luck with battery reconditioners to bring batteries back to life. Been thinking about trying one just haven't got around to it. Seems like there's always a battery or two around here that won't take a charge anymore.

I went away from New holland and John Deere for batteries... I only buy CATERPILLAR now...stonger, longer lasting, and durable.

trickle chargers are great.. and cheap..

another way to save or extend the life of a battery is a decent cutout switch.. Just make sure the cut off switch is able to handle the starting amp load,

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Perko-Battery-Selector-Switch&i=31620

We have yuke tire tanks that tend to freeze up when it is super cold. We also have a sump pump that is battery powered for cleaning them out, will this charge a battery enough to keep a sump pump running and circulate the water?

thanks

lazy ace

lazy ace said:
We have yuke tire tanks that tend to freeze up when it is super cold. We also have a sump pump that is battery powered for cleaning them out, will this charge a battery enough to keep a sump pump running and circulate the water?

thanks

lazy ace

all solar panels have different wattage ratings,. the key to it working would be to correctly match the panel to a load..

with many of the panels a charge controller would be needed to prevent over charging the batteries..

I have about a dozen batteries I store over the winter, I used to use trickle chargers which are about $5 from harbor freight and are on sale alot..

I bought a 15 watt panel on sale/closeout return with a charge controller from them and set it up...

not only does it keep all the batteries charged, but I use it for a few lights that were included in the set to light up the shop at night..

I have it hooked up to a sump pump as a back up,.. but other then throwing a hose in to test it.. and it pumped for at least an hour..

but I have never actually had to use it..

with a panel, a charge controller, and a deep cycle marine battery the set up would have been a bit pricey, but I bought them all on clearance.
and since I store the marine batteries for a friend.. they are technically free as well,..

and while pricey,.. you would save time, gas and the battery cost over time..

Big Muddy rancher said:
Haymaker your a old Crank why don't you just hook them up to yourself. :lol: :lol:

I aint that old and cranky, them battries are as dead as a can corned beef, I do remember hand cranking a few old popin johnnys tho, matter of fact I still have a 37.
good luck

I have a '36 Massey that'll dang sure make me cranky gettin' her goin' :lol:

more often than not i just giver a pull :wink:

The first tractor I ever bought with my own money was a 1939 John Deere "H" with electric start ( 6 volt ) but I never could afford a battery good enough to start it if cold.

I just parked it at the top of a hill - - - after it started the first time the starter would work the rest of the day.

Boy when I was able to ad a WD Allis Chalmers I was in hog heaven. I rarely used the crank on it as it had a 12 volt system and started fairly well.

Latest posts