• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dang Hay Wouldn't dry

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
So we did some (for us) thinking outside the box. We'd made the initial mistake of raking windrows together that were still too green, and wouldn't dry through. So this morning we dug an old auction sale treasure out of the weeds and decided to give it a try. We'd only tried this thing once before and couldn't get along with it, but I thought this might be it's chance to shine. Father was skeptical :lol: The hay had lots of dew on it this morning so we figured this was our chance to try it and hopefully not lose too many leaves.

Turns out the tedder isn't real fussy with real ropey hay, but as it dried up a bit it worked better. We tried to just move the windrow over while fluffing it but we are short a few too many teeth for this to be effective so we went with full out tedding.

The machine (all plugged up during the experimentation process on real dewey hay):
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDY0LmpwZw.jpg

Starting to get the effect we were looking for:
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDY1LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDYyLmpwZw.jpg

All spread out to dry:
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDY3LmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDY4LmpwZw.jpg

Putting it back in windrows:
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDY5LmpwZw.jpg

Just about done:
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDcwLmpwZw.jpg

The race is now on:
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDczLmpwZw.jpg

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDc0LmpwZw.jpg

Always seems to end in a tie:

utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDcyLmpwZw.jpg

All done.
utf-8BSU1HLTIwMTEwODExLTAwMDc1LmpwZw.jpg

Glad your methods worked to dry the hay out so it was baleable. A neighbor had some damp windrows, so he ran them back through his swather one more time to get another crimping effect. This method seemed to also work in getting the hay to dry faster.

Quite the crop there Silver. Dad had one of those tedders when I was a kid, what an awful thing to run in a heavy crop of red clover. :mad:

I tried running some doubled windrows through the discbine last year to break them up after the same oops was made, chopped it up some but it did fluff them up.

Latest posts