• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dang Horse

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I Luv Herfrds

Reaction score
Saw my son's horse was standing on a hill side today. He was just staying there.
Went out to see what was going on.
He was cut in front of his right hind knee. Got tangled up in some barbed wire messing around with the cousin's horses next door and got the worst of it.

Called our regular vet, but he was 3 hours away. Called the vet he works with and she came out.
Said he didn't cut the tendon; thank goodness; no bones broken. He did tear what looks like a vein though.

We are to wash his wound every day with a hose for 20 minutes. Let it air dry and re-apply a dressing with PVP iodine ointment and wrap it.
Told me to figure this may take around 4 weeks for this to heal.

Couldn't get him off the hill while she was there. He was in too much pain. She gave him some buit and a mild sedative. We waited til just before 7pm and he was starting to move around, so we got him in the barn tonight.

That's too bad. You just can't have horses next to other horses with
a barb wire fence between them. They can find every way in the
world to commit suicide...

I'm surprised the vet didn't give him some banamine. It sure makes
them feel better.

Bring him down here, we have a horse in that we have to do a
regime on...not for a wire cut, but because he is lame. We'll
take care of both of them at the same time... :D

Thanks for the offer FH, but I don't think he would enjoy the trailer ride. :D

Got the Underwoods, but it burns like heck. Treated his hoof cut with it and talk about a rodeo.

need to pick up more vet wrap today. Used what I had left on his last cut. :roll:

Moved the other 3 horses to a different pasture.

He got a tetnus shot and some equine long lasting penicilian.

I Luv Herfrds said:
Thanks for the offer FH, but I don't think he would enjoy the trailer ride. :D

Got the Underwoods, but it burns like heck. Treated his hoof cut with it and talk about a rodeo.

need to pick up more vet wrap today. Used what I had left on his last cut. :roll:

Moved the other 3 horses to a different pasture.

He got a tetnus shot and some equine long lasting penicilian.

Get some wound all.... It works magic and all you have to do is spray it on..

Cold has slowed the healing, but at least there are no flies bothering it.
He's out of the corral now. we were worried for a moment there because his leg had swollen up. It is down and looking normal now.
Guessed that he had slipped on some ice.

Latest posts