• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dart gun question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

DejaVu

Reaction score
I have a PneuDart rifle. Not Co2 but the pump style. I darted a 250lb calf with pink eye the other day and discovered the dart never discharged the Draxxin I loaded in it. Any ideas on what I did wrong or if the dart was a dud or whatever? I had to wait for it to fall out of the calf so thought everything was good. I shook the dart and noticed Draxxin coming out. I took the syringe I use to load it and drew out almost all I had put in. My faith in my handy dandy dart rifle is not so much at the moment.

Did it need more velocity to discharge, and did the dart need topped off with sterile water? My boys have been using a rifle that uses the .22 loads. Can't dart young calves with the loads they've been getting because the dart goes in too far, not good when that happens.

You have to pump it more than you think you should have to since the force of the impact is what triggers the charge to expel the drugs. I use a minimum of five pumps regardless of syringe size. Five pumps at about 30-40 feet with a 7 cc dart works well for me. If I need to use a bigger dosage I will add several more pumps. The only time I have had problems with it firing is when I didn't pump it enough.

Thanks rancherfred. I'm betting that was my mistake. I only pumped it twice because it being a smaller calf I thought it would'n't need much force. Thank You very much.

Traveler, my darts have a gel collar on them which supposedly limits the depth of entry of the needle. Darts are single use.

DejaVu said:
Thanks rancherfred. I'm betting that was my mistake. I only pumped it twice because it being a smaller calf I thought it would'n't need much force. Thank You very much.

Traveler, my darts have a gel collar on them which supposedly limits the depth of entry of the needle. Darts are single use.
There was a little too much power for a calf's hide. The dart went pretty far into the neck. Kind of an OH SH** moment.

Latest posts