• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

dart guns

Help Support Ranchers.net:

shorthorn

Reaction score
who uses them what kind and do you like them? I run stockers on grass a long way from the barn and was wondering if a dart gun would work?

We have one, I don't know what kind but the thing you need to check on is how expensive the darts are and what antibiotics are safe in them. When we use ours it is pretty hard to get a good shot, either your too close or too far away or your CO2 cartridge is low and your dart hits them in the wrong spot. Like I said it is an option but it isn't the ideal treatment device.

have a cold one

lazy ace

I will check and see what brand ours is but it is a pump. That is real nice as you can pump it up more if it is a long ways off or just 3 pumps if it is close. Ours was around 350$ i think and it is well worth the money.

We have a medidart and it has come in usefull from time to time but I can't say that I like it in generall. I used it on an animal that I had to treat for pinkeye that was trying to kill me but I had to put 2 darts into him as the max dose is 40cc I think in one of those darts and he was needing a lot more than that..

The capchur is the dart gun that uses CO2.. I would think that could come in handy if you needed t sedate an animal but I couldn't justify spending that type of money for a a once every 4 or 5 year thing... By the time I got around to needing it I wouldn't be able to find it.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Say Lazy Ace do those Dart guns meet the standards for Beef Quality Assurance program?

Your exactly right, they don't that is why I don't like to use it. I will admit I can get them in the neck but it is safer to get some panels and a horse or just rope them. I'm glad you mentioned that, because it is something that needs to be brought up.

have a cold one

lazy ace

We use them if we've got a Bucker needs help at calving lol. Thank god not often -alot of outfits use them if big bulls need a treat in the bush. Those big exotic bulls-Chars especially can be tough on men and horses.

A friend of mine running cattle on contract use his all the time. It saves him alot of time he says. I have never used it but almost did a couple of times.

My friend has had an outbreak of pastuerella recently that has kept the barrel on his gun warm lately.

Pasturella? What are the symptoms of pasturella?
I've been really curious about this disease as I don't think anyone
is sure that vaccines help.

I'm real interested in why they think it is Pasturella. Have they
lost anything?

We used to think a symptom of it was when an ear dropped, but have
found out since, that is a ear infection. Had a customer tell me
his calves had Pasturella and we visited about it. I got on the internet
while we were talking and read him the symptoms of Somnus.
That's what his calves had, not pasturella.

As I said, I'm really curious to find out more. Thanks.

They had the vet out twice a couple weeks ago when they started losing calves. They lost 8 calves as of last Friday. I tried to catch up with them when the vet was out the last time to do culure/blood work on them ( I think is how they determined it) but couldn't find which circle they were on.

The calves were flat out sick. Droopy ears, hard breathing, etc.. They moved the pairs about 3 miles to a new circle on a pretty warm day, but that night it got really cold. Then a few days later a couple calves were dead. The vet thought the move may have brought it to the front of the issue. They were going to wean the calves a couple days later, but when this started, they have left the calves on.

This is all second hand from my buddy on what all has happened, so don't quote me. I did see the cattle one day and they looked pretty bad. They have to use the gun so they don't get the cattle to worked up.

We haven't had any problems with ours this year and we didn't pre-vaccinate before we weaned, just did it the day we pulled the calves. I think next year I might use a vaccine just incase.

I have a chapchur dartgun and it is a very handy tool when it comes to doctoring calves, yearlings, cows, bulls. I wouldn't be without 1. No it is not BSQ certified if you shoot them anywhere but the neck. IF you have a CO2 operated gun and you let it set for a few months without using it I have found that it is easier to just put new CO2 cartidges in and go doctor your animal I found that the best range for a 15cc dart is just a little more than a 30 foot catch rope, when CO2 is fresh as you shoot it you may need to get closer. I get about 15 shots before I need to start getting closer. Way easier to use dartgun and less stress on sick animals to dart than to rope or trail a couple of miles home.

Chars have a bad habit of brushing up when they get older-I'll be sure to call you and a horse you hate next time somebody needs one brought out of the willows in the community pasture.I've run as many Char bulls as Angus so don't feel bad at all commenting on it. A ton plus bull on the fight in the bush is quite a bit stickier deal than handling one out in the wide open.

check out the BioBullet
http://www.solidtechah.com/bds.php

I haven't used it, but looks like a good idea.

Latest posts