• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Day Length

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
The computer says that tomorrow will have 2 minutes and 54 seconds less day light. No wonder it seems like I am sitting around waiting for it to get light outside. It sure seems like the days get shorter this time of the year a lot faster rate than they get longer in the spring.

I agree that days in the fall seem to shorten faster than they lengthen in the spring. It also seems to me that the months and years are passing faster than ever before.

The old saying at dawn pushing cattle down to winter pasture or for some the slaughterhouse, that we are burning daylight gets more real as I age.

I think of Alaskarancher losing 7 or more minutes a day just to be in 24/7 dark soon and that is just too much darkness for me to comprehend.

Also remember daylight slaving time is ending soon and the real time won't seem right. :cautious:

Last edited:
6 years ago, on my many trips going 500 miles east, with my Aluminum Titan Livestock trailer full house good or 5 generation of ranch items. Where I had every delineator post named along the route. I stay in the House My Daughter and Son in law had moved into. There a 2-bedroom apartment attached thru what we called the party room. Living in a high mountain valley with the mountains on the east going up over 10,000 feet the sun took a while to get up every morning and went down a tough earlier with the 8,000-to-9,000-foot mountain on the west. Well, the new ranch is right at the western edge of the black hills. The steep ecosystem divide, we go from ponderosa pine on the east side to prairie on the west. The Bear Longe mountains are a few miles to the east, but to me they are just hills. But what got me and still dose is how early the sun comes up here. I get up at 4 AM and head west in early morning light, on those trips. Sun still comes up earlier, and when friends all over the west post those Charlie Russel sunset pictures, we seem to have them the same night as they do.

Standard time will be here soon. I hate the time change. I wish they would leave it one way or the other, I don't care which. It seems like the time change is what I can't get adjusted to.
The thing that chaps my patoot is that years ago Oregon had to wait for Calif. and Wash. to come on board. They did and now what is the delay? We have to wait for Congress to approve it. Well, Congress seems to always be busy with some Russian concern so time stability isn't even on their agenda.

Please help me start the rumor that Russia is behind the twice-a-year time change that confuses livestock and barnyard 🐓 and causes a lack of :sleep: making even the mildest-natured rancher or farmer cranky as :poop: Strangely the 🐄 farmers including milk 🐐 farmers seem to have the biggest 🐂.

I should have moved to Arizona years ago where 🕑 isn't 🕒 in the🐤 and 🕒 isn't 🕑 in the 🍂🍁
:barbwire:

Last edited:
I like the switch. It allows more time in the evenings to get things done after work. It should effect AG people the least. They can get up whatever time they want and don't have to clock in at a job at a certain time.

it doesn't bother me at all. Having it daylight at 4;00 in the morning in the summer is just a waste of daylight. Right now I am looking forward to the change. It is 7:00 and still dark. I am waiting for day light to go do chores.

It looks like I am outnumbered with my anti-time change dislike. For me, it makes sense to leave it on standard time. It was dark here at 7 AM and now light at 8 AM which will soon be 7 AM with standard time. For me, if it was left on daylight, it would be 8 AM before there is daylight and that is just too late for early risers, one such as myself. :(

With that said the time change really upsets my system. After the change when I wake and see 2 AM which was 3 AM for the last several months, I will try to force myself to stay in bed and sleep. It takes several days and being tired from lack of sleep to adjust. So my wish is just to make the daylight thing year around since the ones of us raised on early-rising ranches are a dying breed and few and far between.

MC indeed we are loosing 7+ minutes a day now, 12-20-22 is winter solstice (shortest day) but it is still light for about 3 hours!! However the sun is just a red ball 3ft above the horizon and you can look straight at it.

MC indeed we are loosing 7+ minutes a day now, 12-20-22 is winter solstice (shortest day) but it is still light for about 3 hours!! However the sun is just a red ball 3ft above the horizon and you can look straight at it.
Please share a photo here of that if possible. The only time we can look at the sun here is during heavy forest fire smoke. Here is one from an early morning shot taken in Washington below Mt Baker. I was amazed at how dark it was.

241843290w0bwVQb.jpg

It looks like I am outnumbered with my anti-time change dislike. For me, it makes sense to leave it on standard time. It was dark here at 7 AM and now light at 8 AM which will soon be 7 AM with standard time. For me, if it was left on daylight, it would be 8 AM before there is daylight and that is just too late for early risers, one such as myself. :(

With that said the time change really upsets my system. After the change when I wake and see 2 AM which was 3 AM for the last several months, I will try to force myself to stay in bed and sleep. It takes several days and being tired from lack of sleep to adjust. So my wish is just to make the daylight thing year around since the ones of us raised on early-rising ranches are a dying breed and few and far between.

when I milked cows the milking time at the change the sun wouls still be in the same place, thought it was dark both spring and spring other then spring the night milking was still light.

weather turning colder now, 4" snow 12 degrees last nite and not above freezing during day anymore. Pix one month ago, another yesterday

Attachments

• Fairbanks fall colors-9.20.17.jpg
    Fairbanks fall colors-9.20.17.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 8
  • Chena River ice.jpg
    Chena River ice.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 4
I always hear that they go back to standard time because they didn't want school kids waiting for the bus in the dark. It didn't get light out here until about 7:00 this morning. Farewell Bend and Huntington are less than 30 miles from here and on Mountain Time. So it was about 8:00 their time when it got light out.

We split the time change over 2 days for the milk cows. Half hour each day. They adjust easier and they aren't pushing up against the gates for an entire hour or fighting to get into the parlour. It's such a nightmare for accidents like the splits etc when they get that way out!

Latest posts