• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Days Plan(???)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Rowdy Ranch

Reaction score
This is what the plan for the day was last night--Send me to work ground ahead of grain drill so leave home at 6:30 am-send drill directly behind.Now I need a little time to get ahead of drill so hopefully drill tractor needs fuel. Then comes seed wheat truck and pickup(you know for break downs). 2 more days of winter wheat seeding and we will be done except for corn ground that goes back to wheat.YIPPEE!!! So I best go fix lunch to tote along and get in gear! You all have a great day.

Good luck, and hope you all have no breakdowns! Do you see your operation going no-till someday?

I chickened out and didn't plant any wheat this year. Probably wet enough now but too chilly. Didn't want to take a chance and get out smarted by mother nature like I did with the oats this spring.

Good luck to ya Rowdy.

Cal-farming is headed that direction,but the no til has been tried some around here,but has not been that successful,but it needs to be done. What we do around here is go in after harvest and burn the stubble then disc and depends on the moisture,but this year only fieid cultivated twice before drilling wheat.I know in SD there is set aside,but here it is continuous wheat.But with fuel and fertilizer prices I see that changing especially with the price of the crops. Well, the day did go good so I am done with my part so can go check cattle and run errands.

Rowdy Ranch said:
Cal-farming is headed that direction,but the no til has been tried some around here,but has not been that successful,but it needs to be done. What we do around here is go in after harvest and burn the stubble then disc and depends on the moisture,but this year only fieid cultivated twice before drilling wheat.I know in SD there is set aside,but here it is continuous wheat.But with fuel and fertilizer prices I see that changing especially with the price of the crops. Well, the day did go good so I am done with my part so can go check cattle and run errands.

You boys really need to get out of Kansas once in a while. You could work the field once then seed. The days of 2 passes before seeding have been gone here for more than 20 years.

In really heavy stubble, a heavy harrow pass before seeding helps.

The neighbors here seeded a section to winter wheat after a barley crop. The combines were done the heavy harrow went in 2 days later. It rained so lots of weeds started. They burned it off with roundup then direct seeded and harrowed again.

Latest posts