• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

DDG

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It's the best feed known to man in my opinion. I've fed it to stockers that are on grass for 2 years now (and that alone) . I've fed it to cows in drought . NOTHING beats it as a feed where you aren't trying to get 25 lbs of feed in them. I have got a little over 3lbs per day gain out of steers on good grass feeding less than 5lbs of ddg per head. They were good steers and it was a very good fall but none the less, it's a wonderful, cheap feed in a day where lesser feeds are 25% more money. Use it if you can.

This is my second year of feeding DDG and I like it and so does the cattle.
I had been feeding it before in a pellet that was high in DDG and skim milk.
Good luck finding any if you didn't have it contracted months ago. Big boys have it all locked up. Closest I have been able to find was out of Missouri with a $50+ freight bill on top of $116 for the product. On top of that, it would have been delivered in a hopper and I am not set up to unload a hopper. Been getting it in a live bottom trailer, guy just backs in my quonset and pushes it out. ends up in a pile about 8 or 9 feet deep. load it out with front end loader on a tractor. I have to many qriters to pile it out side.
My brother piles it out side and sprinkles a bit of junk silage off the edge of his silage pile to keep it from blowing. If you get a light rain, It crust over and don't blow to bad. (I heard that, not sure what rain is, but I remember my grandpa talking about rain !!!)
Last fall it was possible to get ddg delivered for around $80/ton so I may be ready to take some piled out side even with some loss to the @#$%^& scores of deer, coons, skunks, black birds, 100's turkeys and what ever other of the Nebraska Game and parks animals they expect me of feed for free.
I have a neighbor that gets his corn delivered by the truck load and dumped on the ground beside his silage pile as he needs it. He has been complaining to his corn supplier that according to his scales on his feed wagon he has been comming up way short on the corn so didn't belive the corn suppliers scales was accurate. Corn supplier drove down the road to another certified scales to weigh and came out enough heiver to be worth his time to drive over there to weigh. I figure that If I put corn on the ground, I would loose over 50 bu a week! I think that may be somewhat in line with what the neighbor is commning up short.

I am thinking of switching to whole soybeans if I can't get some ddg by the time I run out. Looks like by useing the soybeans which is higher in protein and feeding some low quality hay in the ration, I can actually make my calf ration 1 or 2 cents / head / day cheaoper than what I am doing now with ddg and figuring the price ddg is gona cost if I can find it.

Not sure where you are at, I never got it from them, but Farmers Ranchers Coop told me they could have contracted it last fall for delivery to Valentine for around $80 / ton delivered. They haven't found me any lately either.

With the new plants comming on line, the supply may be better next year, but then I was thinking that this year. More people are figuring out how to use it so would guess that a year from now it may be the same situation.

Here is an excellent site. Start clicking on the upper left hand side & go down the line.

http://www.ddgs.umn.edu/

Latest posts