• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

DDG's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nebraskadave

Reaction score
Thinking about starting to feed DDG's to the cows as supplement along with the hay they are getting. Anyone have much expierence with feeding DDG's, how many pounds did you feed?

wet distillers that we feed is around 45-50% moisture 45-50.00 per ton. dried is 100.00 per ton. feed less per hd of dried

FH, I think the main difference between wet distillers grain and Dry Distillers Grain is that one is wet and one is dry! :p :p :p Yep, there's a smarta$$ in every crowd! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously, at the level of distillers fed to cows for a winter maintenance ration I doubt sulfur would be a problem. If you were pushing cattle on distillers in a feedlot situation, then I would say yes.

Also need to take into account the sulfur in the water supply. I have never noticed any ill effects from feeding my weaned calves a moderate ration of dry distillers. The artesian water my cattle drink does have a significant sulfur taste. Not sure just how much is in it. If in doubt it would probably be a good idea to test both the WDG/DDG and the water supply, and buy mineral accordingly.

FWIW, my calves seem to do fine wiht the standard 3V2S or 3V4S. :wink:

I must admit I know nothing about wet distillers and have no experience with it.

I have fed dry distillers mixed with cracked corn for many years to my weaned calves. "Here" it costs about $190/ton picked up at the elevator in town for a 50/50 mix.

DDG by itself doesn't have much body. It's kinda like cornmeal. Cracked corn by itself is dusty. I like the combination. The oil content of the DDG seems to settle the dust in the cracked corn. The cracked corn adds some body to the DDG. I believe the finished product combination is around 16% protein.

Calves and cows both love the DDG/cracked corn mix once they figure it out. I've scooped it directly out the pickup box on clean ground and cows will slick it up very well

Sounds like a great combination. I'd like to find something to feed our
heifer calves. They get hay and mineral. Usually that's fine, but this
winter, I'm not so sure. I don't think we can get cracked corn here;
but I like your plan so I'm going to find out.

Thank you!

Another thing I have done is make my own lick tub out of the corn and distillers.

I admit I am cheaping out and haven't been feeding mineral regularly like I normally would this winter. :oops: I mixed about 10% Hi-Salt (trace mineral salt with EDDI @ $6.50 bag) and the cracked corn/DDG for both the cows and calves to work at while standing around the water tank.

The cattle haven't eaten much salt this winter because my artesian water also has high sodium content. The do eat more salt when I was feeding them the cracked corn/DDG with it than they ate salt alone.

If anyone was contemplating doing something like this, I would recommend 10% salt as a starting point and vary that up or down to get the desired consumption. Could do the same thing with mineral. :wink:

Faster horses said:
Sounds like a great combination. I'd like to find something to feed our
heifer calves. They get hay and mineral. Usually that's fine, but this
winter, I'm not so sure. I don't think we can get cracked corn here;
but I like your plan so I'm going to find out.

Thank you!

Just buy a load of corn. I'm sure Katrina could get a load over to you. You can feed it on the ground and not loose much. The hfrs would do great just don't over feed them.

Wet distillers and dry are about the same and not.If your plant has a drier like the one here the dried is very inconsistant they may burn some and not get some dry enough so it varies in feed quality. The syrup test almost identical to the wet cake but is actually 1% drier even though its a liquid It is fine solids. I've fed the wet up to 40 lbs per day to cows with no ill effects it is a by-pass protein and you are basically wasteing it by over feeding but the winter we did we had 40 semi loads at $210 each. Our plant has a different fermantation process than most hence the product is lower in sulfer content.The mineral to use is 3VO S it has no phos as the distillers products have plenty for your cow needs. It also has Thiamine added if I remember correctly to help digest or pass the sulfer.I know that it takes about 3#s of dry to = the protein in a pound of soybean meal but you gain some energy and also 2#s more of the cows dry matter requirement.Dried is very light so it will blow out of the bunks on a windy day. We feed the syrup because it's free just pay trucking but thats ending in april as they are getting a new drying system.I will most likely feed the wet cake next winter because we use it more to blend corn silage and ground swamp grass and the wet is sticky and keeps the swamp grass hidden in the mix.Wet cake is a pain to feed without a mixer wagon.chuckwagon or a silage box of some sort.I've carried it in 5 gallon pails, you know you've done something after feeding a bunch of cattle. First thing I would do is some forage tests if you don't need it why buy it but if it's cheaper than hay the cows can handle alot of it.

Trucking is the major cost with it we live 40 miles from the plant and trucking is $300 a semi load to us more by the hour than the mile.I know the dried is a better deal at $100 a ton than wet at $30 but wet can be fed on the ground where as the dry not so much.In a tmr the dry might work also but I'd maybe add some water if the blend got to dry.

Denny said:
Wet distillers and dry are about the same and not.If your plant has a drier like the one here the dried is very inconsistant they may burn some and not get some dry enough so it varies in feed quality. The syrup test almost identical to the wet cake but is actually 1% drier even though its a liquid It is fine solids. I've fed the wet up to 40 lbs per day to cows with no ill effects it is a by-pass protein and you are basically wasteing it by over feeding but the winter we did we had 40 semi loads at $210 each. Our plant has a different fermantation process than most hence the product is lower in sulfer content.The mineral to use is 3VO S it has no phos as the distillers products have plenty for your cow needs. It also has Thiamine added if I remember correctly to help digest or pass the sulfer.I know that it takes about 3#s of dry to = the protein in a pound of soybean meal but you gain some energy and also 2#s more of the cows dry matter requirement.Dried is very light so it will blow out of the bunks on a windy day. We feed the syrup because it's free just pay trucking but thats ending in april as they are getting a new drying system.I will most likely feed the wet cake next winter because we use it more to blend corn silage and ground swamp grass and the wet is sticky and keeps the swamp grass hidden in the mix.Wet cake is a pain to feed without a mixer wagon.chuckwagon or a silage box of some sort.I've carried it in 5 gallon pails, you know you've done something after feeding a bunch of cattle. First thing I would do is some forage tests if you don't need it why buy it but if it's cheaper than hay the cows can handle alot of it.

Trucking is the major cost with it we live 40 miles from the plant and trucking is $300 a semi load to us more by the hour than the mile.I know the dried is a better deal at $100 a ton than wet at $30 but wet can be fed on the ground where as the dry not so much.In a tmr the dry might work also but I'd maybe add some water if the blend got to dry.

Denny I got a mixer wagon for ya. :D

Big Muddy rancher said:
Denny said:

What kind and how much I'm looking at getting an upgrade I'll be in Montana 3 times in the next month delivering trailers.

Denny said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
Denny said:

What kind and how much I'm looking at getting an upgrade I'll be in Montana 3 times in the next month delivering trailers.

It's a Big Auggie 14. I'd take $8,500 US for it.
HaybineandBigAuggie007.jpg

HaybineandBigAuggie008.jpg

HaybineandBigAuggie009.jpg

mn said:
Denny- how do you store your syrup?

We have a side hill I pushed up a dirt berm this fall then set round bales in a channel shape. We just unload it on the ground and scoop it up with the skid loader.

Latest posts