• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dead Calf

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Ben H

Reaction score
I had a mostly hereford calf that was being bottle fed (didn't like his mom and shipped her) that I grafted onto a Piedmontese cow at my other job. They had been doing well for over a month. I was on light duty off the farm at one of my bosses other businesses before my ACL surgery, my co-worker called the other day and told me my calf was dead. He was fine that morning, hadn't see anything wrong with him but found him dead that afternoon. The only thing he could see was a little blood coming out of the nose. The only thing I could think of was he might have tried nursing the wrong cow and got kicked just right. Anyone ever had that happen? The other idea a friend gave me is that he lost a cow due to an aneurysm, only sign of it was blood from the nose. Being on a bottle for a while, the plan was to make him into a lead steer.

No, never had it before. He was born in June, showed no signs of being sick at all prior. I did just read it can act that fast and not show signs prior, however I didn't see anything about the blood from the nostrils.

Latest posts