• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dead End Jobs

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Radar

Reaction score
This is on the list of dead end jobs posted on msn.com. I wonder if that 250,000 includes jobs in towns dependent on agriculture?

"Here are 10 of the jobs expected to decline between now and 2012 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Farmers and Ranchers
This dwindling occupation will see the largest decrease of all sectors, losing 250,000 jobs by 2012. The complexity of modern farming and keen competition among farmers leaves little room for the marginally successful farmer. Therefore, the long-term trend toward consolidation of farms into fewer and larger farms is expected to continue displacing small independent farmers."

Radar said:
This is on the list of dead end jobs posted on msn.com. I wonder if that 250,000 includes jobs in towns dependent on agriculture?

"Here are 10 of the jobs expected to decline between now and 2012 according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

Farmers and Ranchers
This dwindling occupation will see the largest decrease of all sectors, losing 250,000 jobs by 2012. The complexity of modern farming and keen competition among farmers leaves little room for the marginally successful farmer. Therefore, the long-term trend toward consolidation of farms into fewer and larger farms is expected to continue displacing small independent farmers."

Whats wrong with this picture? I could understand this if the population were in decline, but it's not, and people still have to eat. Plant and animal efficiency can only go so far. :???: :???:

With today"s effienciey(sp) we have produced ourselves out of buisness. Today at the elevator corn is $1.60... Pencil that into todays cost......
Try $3.90 wheat with 3.00 fuel.........
Price machinery....
Get some work done on your vehicle in town or go to the doctor, dentist any of that and who's on the short end of the stick.
Does your town appreciate you shopping in there stores???
Bottom line..............
IS THIS THE LIFE YOU WOULD WANT FOR YOUR KIDS??????

katrina said:
With today"s effienciey(sp) we have produced ourselves out of buisness. Today at the elevator corn is $1.60... Pencil that into todays cost......
Price machinery....
Get some work done on your vehicle in town or go to the doctor, dentist any of that and who's on the short end of the stick.

I heard this same thing from older folks about 20 to 30 years ago. The more things change, the more they stay the same. The only thing that doesn't change is that all things change.

If young people want to live the life and do this kind of work, they will find a way to do it. Older folks will get tired of the needed changes and young people will take their place in the ag work force.

When I was a kid we mowed hay with an H Farmall and a #5 JD mower with a roller bar hay rake now we use a Rowse dbl 9 mower and large wheel rakes with baler that will eat Very large winrows at a high rate of speed.I rent a farm that my dad rented it usally took 2 weeks to make the hay then I put it up this year in 2 1/2 days BIG difference.Its called progress.Step up or step aside...

katrina said:
Yeah right......And someday someone will have to pay for the step-up. Bought any land lately???

Dont need to, rent is near as cheap as the taxes around here I'm in the cow business not the land business leave the land to land speculators..

profit margins are leaner so you need more #s to make it work those days of making a living on a 100 cows are gone.You can do it but it will be a lean living. I just wont complain about the profession I chose you NEED to adapt to the times or quit its that simple many around here have quit and got jobs in town some like it some dont.

Would you move to Brazil to stay in the farming business.I would many have.As countries modernize their cost of production will increase its caused by greed its human nature and it has no boundries.

If things get so bad that I have to quit Framing it will be caused by my own willingness not to change.. Where there's a will there'a way....THINK POSITIVE..

You are very lucky Denny. Rent is anywhere from $30.00 ccp to $50.00. It just makes sense to own it here rather than rent. I would guess too that you can run more per acre. I do need to think positive don't I??? Whew bad day.... :?

katrina said:
You are very lucky Denny. Rent is anywhere from $30.00 ccp to $50.00. It just makes sense to own it here rather than rent. I would guess too that you can run more per acre. I do need to think positive don't I??? Whew bad day.... :?

at $50 a ccp I don't think I would be positive I would be selling out that does'nt even make sense...I pay between $10 to $15 per pair per month my yearling heifers are on a 30 acre pasture there's 25 heifers 2 pairs and a bull turned out May 20th it will hold them till nov 1 but its a good pasture...

Well, Denny, I think that if ccp land in your area would be $50, you should follow your own advice and just think a little more positive. . . where thre's a will, there's a way . . . :lol:

Not?

Actually, Denny, I hear ya. "positive only goes so far. I just get really P.O.'ed when I hear that phrase.

We have bought into the expansion theory for about 35 years too long now. Somebody forgot to tell us about the law of diminishing returns.

I always thought proctology was about as dead end a job as you could find-then I became an A'I tech.

Well, it's a $hitty job, but someone's got to do it!! I've bred somewhere between 30,000 and 35,000 cows in the last 7 years, there's a lot worse jobs!

katrina said:
Price machinery....

we see this all too often in our area......kids born and raised on the family farm/ranch..good hard working kids who leave the farm for college---and never look back!! They say "my mom and dad worked 20 hour days all thier lives for WHAT?? no pension...no insurance....no vacation..etc...." This next generation wants 9-5, Monday-Friday, weekends and holidays off with full health insurance and a nice retirement package!! Sad to see what is happening to all the mom'n'pop places around here that have been going for generations...going to auction, now!! :cry: :cry:

I hate to admit it :mad: but I work here in an office on designing of oil field equipment to pay all the bills. If I could see me paying all my bills and put food on the table along with keeping my family health then I wouldn't be here that's for sure. But a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

ranchwife said:
katrina said:
Price machinery....

we see this all too often in our area......kids born and raised on the family farm/ranch..good hard working kids who leave the farm for college---and never look back!! They say "my mom and dad worked 20 hour days all thier lives for WHAT?? no pension...no insurance....no vacation..etc...." This next generation wants 9-5, Monday-Friday, weekends and holidays off with full health insurance and a nice retirement package!! Sad to see what is happening to all the mom'n'pop places around here that have been going for generations...going to auction, now!! :cry: :cry:

yeah but the auction price is way to high for anyone wanting to get started to get started....its insane

the kids leaving has a lot of factors.
and these factors vary in different situations, but the pesamistic attitude of todays ag producer leaves a very negative ring in a kids ear.

with unions getting $25 per hour PLUS benefits and retirement and the school system pushing kids towards that life style it is an easy read on the future.

my kids are all Jr high and younger, but they know we have less, and do less than the other kids. BUT the big point I tell them is those kids blow a lot of money on junk and short term fun.....you take that money and buy sow, cows or ewes, you have a productive base.

when my 5th grader cut thistles for the neighbor this summer, he rat holed the money to buy lambs this fall. That one will stay on the farm.

I rambled on, I know, but the point is, are they leaving, or are we pushing them off the farm?????

Latest posts