• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dead Man Walking

Help Support Ranchers.net:

S CO rancher

Reaction score
In my case: Ex rancher ranching. You know what is going to happen, when it is going to happen, and the final consequences of the action. You also know when it is final, you will never again own a piece of land large enough to run a herd of cows.

In three hours I go in and sign the final papers selling the ranch. It would not be so emotionally wrenching if it was my choice, but poor estate planning, the notion that you know more than anyone else or the courts, and the notion that you are immortal is not a good plan to pass the ranch on to the next generation.

A piece of advice for families: Make a plan for generational transfer before it becomes an estate. Make sure everyone understands, review it on a regular basis (at least annually), and remember that sometimes fair does not mean equal. If there are step families involved and there is any tension, the written plan is vital. Once the plan is written down, spend a little extra, take it to a different lawyer/solicitor/estate planner and make sure that it does what you and the family want. When you get into something this complicated, sometimes one misplaced or mistated word can change the meaning of the whole plan.

Cattlearmy: Thanks for the 50 points to ponder. I really needed those today.

I will be lurking around, but it is going to be extremely hard to read posts from people doing what they love, loving what they do, and planning for a future in doing what I love to do.

I am planning on getting my 'cow fix' through my AI business, but in the last 24 hours of changes, I may not even be able to keep that. Talk about a roller coaster ride of emotions.

I am so sorry to hear of the changes you are going through. It must feel like a huge loss. There will be a lot of sorting out to do for a while.

I wish you all the best in the future. I hope that you can find something that will give you satisfaction and fulfillment.

Keep your head up, as tough as it might be. We'll be sure to be thinking of you.

And, thanks for the advice....advice that all of us should take, but few of us will.

May God Bless you S. Colorado Rancher. I am sorry that you've had to pay the price for a lesson the rest of us hopefully learn.

Take care,

TTB :wink:

Hang in there. I know it won't seem like it now, but everything turns out for the best.

When we bought this place, we couldn't afford to keep the cows and buy the land, so had to sell the cow herd to buy the land. Watching a cowherd you have worked on and improved for most of your life, go thru' the sale ring, was a very hard thing to do.

But as it turned out, it was a good thing because within a few years the market dropped and if we had tried to balance and keep both land and cattle, we would have lost both.

We still have the land and we are always re-building the cow herd. -usually just when things strt looking better, a drought or some such comes along and there goes the cow herd again :roll: -

So hang tuff, you'll get through this and probably be the better for it.

Remember, the only thing that never changes is that everything changes.

We'll be praying for you and yours.

Oh man...thats a tough one! We sold our cow herd a few years ago because of drought and BSE and like JB because we bought Gregs parents land,a herd we had built from the beginning.

We're trying to get back to the herd we had but are no where near that yet,it takes years.....understanding where your hearts at right now and send hugs from Canada.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Big hugs heading your way from Montana.....your story rips the heart out and i know how much this must be tearing you up inside!! Know that we are all here for ya!! Best of luck to ya!!

I want you to know how badly I feel for what you are going thru.
Please, please don't be so hard on yourself.

If you are blaming yourself, it will be really hard to get through
the grieving process. And believe me, you will go trough a grieving
process.

We must remember that NOTHING IS FOREVER.
We must remember that if we can put both feet on the floor
and stand up in the morning, THAT IS A BLESSING.

I know these are empty words right now. But please remember
to come back and visit them from time to time.
And TIME does heal all wounds. But we have to let that time
pass. If you continue to struggle, there is nothing wrong with
seeking help.

Just forgive yourself and move on as best you can.
Your family needs you.

Hugs from Montana (((((((((((((((((((((((((((( ))))))))))))))))))))))))

S CO rancher, our thoughts and prayers are with you, different circumstances to us, but the results and feelings are the same!
All the best with your AI business, I hope you hang on to that, but please do stay on the forum.
I never learned though, While managing for a large company, I am still starting up a small herd again partly for my disabled son, and partly as a retirement project.
All my best wishes-Andy.

Hugs. I know words dont mean alot right now. But looks like you have some good folk around for support :) You don't judge a man by what he owns or how many cattle he has. You judge him by how many people stand behind him in a life changing situation :) We are behind you.

for the support. Yesterday was one of the worst days I have had to live through. Reading your encouraging words last evening made the evening better. Today has also been wrenching because my father's widow insisted on the disbursements today. Not unrealistic, but when she tried to change the written stipulations in things during the meeting with the accountant, it became a little tense. Nothing got changed.

It is amazing how a kind word from people who have common interests but may be complete strangers can lift a person's spirits. I think that everyone in agriculture has experienced or seen someone experience this kind of rejection or loss. All of us can relate to someone in these kind of circumstances because of our love for the land and livestock in our temporary care.

Thanks again.

Latest posts