• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dec. pictures

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cedarcreek

Reaction score
Finally got logged back in to Photobucket so I can share pictures again.
Cows on cake
DSCN0077.jpg

Winter trail
DSCN0084.jpg

Frosty trees
DSCN0090.jpg

4H calf with some cutbacks.
DSCN0093.jpg

Frosty Home
DSCN0098.jpg

Frosty trail.
DSCN0107-1.jpg

Young cows waiting for cake
DSCN0116.jpg

Ready anytime
DSCN0118.jpg

Wait for me
DSCN0120.jpg

Frosty makes for pretty pictures. Those black cattle contrast the white as well as being in good shape for the rest of winter.

Glad to have ya back! The pictures look chilly but the cows look fine. Our snow has sure left in the last few days. We had 10 inches and drifts to 3 feet but an early thaw has knocked it down to 8 inches of mud.

Yep- Cedarcreek its looked the same way here for days- with the dismal/dreary clouds, fog, and frost....At least today the temp got into the 30's (some say they saw around 40)- but we didn't have the Chinook wind and high temps like down on the Missouri River and south did that took away a lot of their snow... Just a beautiful day... Went to the cow sale- and it didn't matter if it was bred or just canners- the market was good.....Salesbarn was full- town was full of Christmas shoppers- a lot of wannabe buyers sitting on their hands at the prices-- cow buyers from Havre and Chinook took lots of the better cattle- altho I saw nothing really what I would call great... Tops were big old 1500+ lb (way to big for my thinking) red 4 year olds that sold for around $1400....And with all the cows they had in they will still be selling shorttermers at midnight....But heavy cull cows were selling for almost $1000- and even old crippled crackers ( of which I hauled a couple in) were worth $450/$500+.... :)

What a little bit of sunshine can't do to cheer folks up :D

Sounds like a couple of days of the Canadians sending us below zero lows of cold for the weekend- and then back up in the 20's/30's for next week..... :)

good lookin cattle and cold lookin country,my hats off to you folks that can pencil cattle in that cold country.
good luck

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
good lookin cattle and cold lookin country,my hats off to you folks that can pencil cattle in that cold country.
good luck

Seems to me that some of us feed less hay then some producers farther south.

how would you know,furthest south you ever been was little beaver saskatchewan,probably where Miss Tam is from little beaver :D :D
good luck

Your place looks real nice Cedarcreek. We can hope for a January
thaw--sure is easier (and cheaper) to keep those cows in good condition than to let them lose and try to catch up. I think perhaps the folks down
south don't realize how important that is.

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

how would you know,furthest south you ever been was little beaver saskatchewan,probably where Miss Tam is from little beaver :D :D
good luck

I have been all around the world on ranchers.net. :D

For years now i have heard about ranchers in Alabama, Missouri, Texas complaining about running out of hay. How deep was the snow down there? :roll:

Thanks for the comments. The plan is to graze all winter with about 4 lbs of 20% protein cake every other day. The young cows usually get hay for about a month. Depending on snow conditions the prime aged cows may not get any hay at all. If the snow gets too deep and hard then I have to feed hay. A couple of warm days can put a pretty good crust of ice on the snow making grazing tough. These cows are bred and raised to take care of themselves.

Well the weatherboys missed their guesstimate- and the storm that was supposed to go south of the Missouri, went north of the Missouri- and we've had snow and blow and drifting all day...Probably got another 3-4 inchs so far- and they say we could end up with 6 before it ends tonight...Temps keep dropping and we're supposed to get 12-15 Below tonight....

All the schools in the area let out this morning or at noon-- and most east/west highways are now listed severe driving conditions-emergency travel only...Just nasty for man and beast..

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

good luck

For years now i have heard about ranchers in Alabama, Missouri, Texas complaining about running out of hay. How deep was the snow down there? :roll:

it was'nt the snow..............it was the h2o,now do me a favor go over to the mirror
see what i hafta put up with ???????????
:D :D
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
good luck

it was'nt the snow..............it was the h2o,now do me a favor go over to the mirror
good luck

Or rather the lack of H2O and not bein able to make enough hay to start with. And when your not able to make hay...your not able to make grass durin those months either. It's tough sometimes to make things work down here. And the way it usually works out is...ya didn't get enough rain in the summer time to make grass and hay....then the rain hits in the winter time...and temps are just above freezin. Cold and wet for days on end is hard on cattle. Sometimes I think harder than it is for them to handle the snow.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
HAY MAKER said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

good luck

Or rather the lack of H2O and not bein able to make enough hay to start with. And when your not able to make hay...your not able to make grass durin those months either. It's tough sometimes to make things work down here. And the way it usually works out is...ya didn't get enough rain in the summer time to make grass and hay....then the rain hits in the winter time...and temps are just above freezin. Cold and wet for days on end is hard on cattle. Sometimes I think harder than it is for them to handle the snow.

I'd have to agree on the cold and wet being hard on cattle. Snow doesn't soak the hair all the way to the skin. If the cattle are in good shape and have a good hair coat the snow won't melt on them in real cold weather.

Good thing ya raise black cattle cause if ya had white cows they'd be awfully hard to find in the winter to cake! lol Sunny days on snow though are very photogentic!

Latest posts