• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

December 4-10, 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Sortingoutsomeyoungcowstosell800x600.jpg

Sorting out some young cows that are for sale
Outthegate800x600.jpg

Out the gate
Anotheroneout800x600.jpg

Another one out
Theseareallthreeandfouryearoldcows800x600.jpg

They are all three and four-year-olds.
Therestofourimpromptubarricade800x600.jpg

The rest of our impromptu barricade
Doubletrouble800x600.jpg

Double trouble
Granddaughter800x600-1.jpg

Granddaughter
Onlyhishairdressernoseforsure800x600.jpg

Grandson
CarrFamilysingers800x600.jpg

Carr Family singers
AttheBowringChrismassupper800x600.jpg

At the Bowring Ranch Christmas supper
Cattleinthesnow800x600.jpg

Cattle in the Sunday snow
Notparticularlyaniceday800x600.jpg

Not a particularly nice day

Nice set of cows to be up for sale, but we are all in the same boat and it covers a very wide swath. I am trying to make up my mind which cows to go first. If ya dont mind me asking, how or why did you choose your 3 and 4 year olds? Just looking for options.

I am considering selling older cows and keeping enough replacements to take there place and if we grow grass by spring breed them and if not ship them to.

eatbeef said:
Nice set of cows to be up for sale, but we are all in the same boat and it covers a very wide swath. I am trying to make up my mind which cows to go first. If ya dont mind me asking, how or why did you choose your 3 and 4 year olds? Just looking for options.

I am considering selling older cows and keeping enough replacements to take there place and if we grow grass by spring breed them and if not ship them to.

By selling cows instead of bred heifers, we can take advantage of the cheaper capital gains tax. At least we can, if we are able to get the cows sold before the first of the year when we all fall off of the fiscal cliff. The young cows should also bring a premium price over bred heifers. I sold 36 head of coming four-year-olds yesterday for $1700 per head. We have another 100 head of these young cows for sale. All of our ten (coming 11-year-old cows) are also for sale. It's either sell cows or buy more hay.

Soapweed said:
eatbeef said:

By selling cows instead of bred heifers, we can take advantage of the cheaper capital gains tax. At least we can, if we are able to get the cows sold before the first of the year when we all fall off of the fiscal cliff. The young cows should also bring a premium price over bred heifers. I sold 36 head of coming four-year-olds yesterday for $1700 per head. We have another 100 head of these young cows for sale. All of our ten (coming 11-year-old cows) are also for sale. It's either sell cows or buy more hay.

Rivers are quickly drying up around here and so far, this winter is shaping up to be like last winter....warm and dry which sets next year up for disaster.

flyingS said:
I thought that Valentine had an outstanding sell today. I hope that the optimism brings moisture.

JF Ranch gave the same optimistic report. I would have liked to have gone to the sale, but yesterday and today we ultrasounded the yearling heifers that came back from Minnesota last week. They are looking good, and checked out 8.5% open.

What were older short-solid and broken mouthed cows bringing today in Valentine? I have about 80 head of ten-year-old cows for sale and am wondering what they might be worth. :wink:

They were sure worth a premium yesterday in my opinion. I had an order for Feb. calving short term cows and never even got to bid. I would say that those cows were worth $150 to $200 or better over weigh up. Greg did a good job of selling higher weigh prices and optimism for rain. I believe the higher weigh prices, they traditionally are better after the first of the year, but not optimistic about rain. I hope all works out, if we have another year like the past I don't see how it will. It seems that prices have an opportunity to be spectacular, but that will do no good if the range is destroyed.

garn said:
Soapweed said:
eatbeef said:

Rivers are quickly drying up around here and so far, this winter is shaping up to be like last winter....warm and dry which sets next year up for disaster.

Yep carbon copy of last winter here so far.

Latest posts