• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

December evening on the desert

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MC, I'm picking up a Jillknife for xmas;)
Oh, dear! That sounds dangerous. Don't cut yourself. Be careful backing your trailer so you don't jillknife. Tell us, up there in Alaska is a two-handed long handled sledgehammer called a double jack, a sledgehammer, or a persuader?

that rubber tire tank I got was cheaper than a 14x2 meatal one
I always liked 5 gal rubber buckets for watering my goats in the winter, because with a few heel kicks the ice cube would fall out. I never wore one out. For the cattle, I broke ice off the pond that never froze deep due to the creek running through it. A few smacks of an 8 lb double jack and then tossing the pieces down the frozen-topped creek, did the trick.

Growing up in Colorado it was breaking ice off of the spring-fed stock pond twice a day. It was never allowed to get frozen very deep, so it wasn't too big a deal and usually my father's job.

I just opened the gate so the steers could go drink out of the Burnt River. It flows fast enough to prevent freezing on most of it.

1671585025142.png

Old ranch that spring creek took -25 for a couple days before starting to freeze over

Latest posts