• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

December rain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

George

Reaction score
So far we have had over 9" this month - - - with 3.6" coming on the night of the 26th. Surprising the mud is not really to bad - - - I guess as it has never frozen so far the water is still able to soak in.

I'm sure glad it was not all snow - - - all of my snow moving equipment is sitting idle and that is fine with me. As I approach 70 years old the fun of playing in the snow keeps losing it's appeal.

Trying to get a new dog kennel built but +42F with 30 MPH steady wind and 50 MPH gust and steady rain does not make me want to work outside. I will go over to the school I bought and change out lights in the gym.

The architect is supposed to have approved building plans the first week of January so we can get going on it. My goal now is to have at least a few apartments occupied by Valentines day!

Locally lots of places 8-12" of rain the past 2 days. It's rained about 40 straight hours. I've never seen anything like this, lots of flooding damage and some lives have been lost as well. I've never seen so many floods in one year.

Over five inches of rain here and now two inches of snow. worse in your country according to eldest daughter. They didn't get here yesterday for Christmas.

We got another 3.5" of rain today with temps from +31F to +45F and 30 to 50 MPH winds.

The Kennel got started 2 weeks ago - - - dug footers with a 12" bucket then put 4" of insulation on the outside wall held 4" above the bottom to give a 12" footer then 8" up to the floor - - - 4" of insulation between the earth and the concrete.

After the forms were in place we cut the top 4" off the insulation so the slab goes all the way out.

Pex in the floor for heat

The half barrels have a 3" drain from each and a 4" perforated pipe in the bottom leading to the 3" and then filled with #8 crushed limestone to the top of the concrete - - - I can clean the manure and the urine and wash water will go down to the drywell.

Framing got started but with the rain it has not progressed much. I bought a semi trailer of insulated steel garage door panels rated at R18 that I will apply like you would pole barn metal for the sidewalls and roof - - - should heat easily.

You can see some of the panels stacked the the left rear.

I am looking forward to finishing and posting pictures of the completed project.

Forcast is for dry and mid 40s tomorrow with little wind - - - hope to make progress!

4Diamond said:
Locally lots of places 8-12" of rain the past 2 days. It's rained about 40 straight hours. I've never seen anything like this, lots of flooding damage and some lives have been lost as well. I've never seen so many floods in one year.

I can't even begin to imagine rain like that. We are still dryer than average here. By the way is the cat still around with all the rain or wash away? Lmao

MO STOCKER said:
Over five inches of rain here and now two inches of snow. worse in your country according to eldest daughter. They didn't get here yesterday for Christmas.
It's been a tough go. We are approaching 72 inches for the year, scary part is one year we are going to be extremely short to make the average

3 M L & C said:
4Diamond said:

I can't even begin to imagine rain like that. We are still dryer than average here. By the way is the cat still around with all the rain or wash away? Lmao
It has been miserable. We are approaching 2' above a normal year in rainfall. So much fence to be repaired in bottoms and gaps it's not even funny.

We got in 3 hours of dry so the walls are framed and the front door is in - - - hopefully tomorrow will be dry!

Soapweed said:
You are a hard working man, George, and your accomplishments are many. You are very much an inspiration.

I have to find something to keep me out of trouble!

Today was a good day - - - +29F with drizzle but no wind!

Got all four sides framed up.

This is the front with the start of the roof.

This is the west end showing the 3/12 pitch on the front and a 1/12 pitch on the back. I put windows in the rise and there is a 12" overhang on all 4 sides - - - the 12" overhang between pitches is to allow me to leave the windows open in hot weather while getting little rain in.

This is the east end with the 7' X 9' opening for an overhead door. This will allow me to bring in full pallets of dogfood.

Still a lot to do but progress each day that it doesn't rain me out.

Latest posts