• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

December-type day in November

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
GladIfoundatoothpick.jpg

Glad I found a toothpick
Cakewithwhitefrosting.jpg

Cake with white frosting
Cleaninguptheirplate.jpg

Cleaning up their plate
Heavyload.jpg

Tired team and a heavy load
Heifersinthesnow.jpg

Heifers in the snow
Windmillbirdheifersandsnow.jpg

Windmills, bird, heifers, and snow
SnowyRivercows.jpg

The cows from Snowy River
Cowswithcoldbacks.jpg

Cold backs
Cowinthesnow.jpg

Yonder, who's coming?
Anothersundown.jpg

Another sundown
Doggone.jpg

Doggone. Day gone.

Those cattle look to be in good shape going into winter,hope it dont get to rough,I figured yall was having rough weather,been doing chores in shirt sleeve weather around here ,but I could'nt help but notice large flocks of geese winging their way south,funny how some of them will bear south east towards eagle lake and others fly due south towards Kingsville.......................good luck,soap

As usual I love your pictures - - My daughter keeps telling me she is going to learn how to place mine on here but I have about given up on that.

If somone has a method that even a dummy can follow please PM me and I will try. I just hope no one shoots me when they see how I have babied the cows. I don't let slackers stay around but if they keep producing and making me money I feel I need to do my best for them.

As usual I love your pictures - - My daughter keeps telling me she is going to learn how to place mine on here but I have about given up on that.

If somone has a method that even a dummy can follow please PM me and I will try. I just hope no one shoots me when they see how I have babied the cows. I don't let slackers stay around but if they keep producing and making me money I feel I need to do my best for them.

George, don't apologize for taking good care of your cows.

We'll probably go broke feeding ours, but we like to see them well-fed and content (like Soapweeds). So if they need fed, we feed 'em. If we can't, we'll go do something else. Never got much joy out of looking at a thin cow.

My little joke as always been that my husband likes everything fat except me. :p :roll: :? :wink:

Faster horses said:
George, don't apologize for taking good care of your cows.

We'll probably go broke feeding ours, but we like to see them well-fed and content (like Soapweeds). So if they need fed, we feed 'em. If we can't, we'll go do something else. Never got much joy out of looking at a thin cow.

My little joke as always been that my husband likes everything fat except me. :p :roll: :? :wink:

I agree faster horses,take care of your cattle and they will take care of you.
Tell your husband there aint any thing better'n a big woman,keep a man shaded in the summer and warm in the winter :D .............good luck

Faster horses said:
Well, Haymaker, I can almost fill that bill, 'cept I'm not very tall!!

But what a sweetie you are for posting that old saying. :wink:

Are you working today,or has the weather got all yall holed up?...........good luck

Soapweed, your picture of the Atlantic Ocean is the best! :D
(That's the next to the last photo) which looks exactly like you took it standing on a Delaware beach looking over the sand dunes towards the ocean in the distance.

nr said:
Soapweed, your picture of the Atlantic Ocean is the best! :D
(That's the next to the last photo) which looks exactly like you took it standing on a Delaware beach looking over the sand dunes towards the ocean in the distance.

You have a pretty vivid imagination, but if I try real hard I can see how you came up with the idea. It would have to be sunup instead of sundown, though. :wink:

I worked my cattle for the first time today since I bought the herd of registered Charlois :D and don't get me wrong with the deal I got any of you would have bought them. :D

My problem is that most of them really had a problem getting in the chute :? and three of them could not get in at all!!! :x

In the deal I got with the cows the person I bought them from gets to match any price I could get elsewhere and he buys them back. :D :D When he was out looking at the calves he was disappointed :???: that the cows were not heavy enough to suit him. :???: :???:

My son and I took 10 of the older cows ( 12 to 14 years old ) over to the gravel pit and ran them across the scale - - - it is 10' by 70' fenced on both sides and weighs in 20# increments 19,860# :? :? This is not heavy enough?? :???:

He wants me to keep the calves till the first of the year but feels they will wean close to 800#@ :D

I started them on a creep feeder about three weeks ago to get them used to feed prior to weaning - - - not really a creep feeder - - - I made a special gate the calves can go through to a section of the barn and they get free choice alfalfa and ADM Rough and Ready. Another thirty days and they should really push the scales down! :D :D :D

I guess I will have to split the chute down the middle and spread it three inches. :eek: If it did not have a side discharge I would have been in trouble as none of them could have gotten through the headgate.
:eek: :eek:

George,

How old is the chute and what Brand????? A lot of the chutes made in the 60's and 70' and even some in the 80's were made for smaller sized cattle. Every manufacturers chutes are bigger now,

PPRM

I purchased it from the Mooremans feed dealer in the mid 1970s and I have no idea what brand it is :? . Very well made and user friendly. :)

I always had registered Angus cows and bread them to Charlois bulls. :D

In 1994 I flipped a Goldwing motorcycle end for end :( and I was told by two hospitals and many doctors I would never walk again. :cry: So the cows left! :cry: :cry: I have never felt good about that but was not able to devote the time and energy needed until this spring. If the Good Lord wants you to walk he will provide a way. :D :D It has taken me many years to get back to where I am and while I still have pain I feel I can keep up with anyone my age and most that are ten years younger than I am. :D

The chute has been good and with modification it will perform for me as long as I need one. :wink:

Today made me glad I have made pets of the girls as with their size I would not have wanted to work them any other way!
:wink: :D

George said:
I purchased it from the Mooremans feed dealer in the mid 1970s and I have no idea what brand it is :? . Very well made and user friendly. :)

I always had registered Angus cows and bread them to Charlois bulls. :D

In 1994 I flipped a Goldwing motorcycle end for end :( and I was told by two hospitals and many doctors I would never walk again. :cry: So the cows left! :cry: :cry: I have never felt good about that but was not able to devote the time and energy needed until this spring. If the Good Lord wants you to walk he will provide a way. :D :D It has taken me many years to get back to where I am and while I still have pain I feel I can keep up with anyone my age and most that are ten years younger than I am. :D

The chute has been good and with modification it will perform for me as long as I need one. :wink:

Today made me glad I have made pets of the girls as with their size I would not have wanted to work them any other way!
:wink: :D

George, congratulations on your success at working yourself into physical fitness! You must be an encouragement to others around you who have fewer obstacles to surmount.

It wasn't me - - - the Lord provided everything needed.

When one Doctor told me I needed 900 hours of physical theraphy I asked what that would cost. He then looked at me and said " $150.00 per hour, O you don't have insurance do you ? Well you don't need the theraphy " I stated I either need it or I don't.

Two days later a friend called with a job of burying 2 acres of concrete. Nancy Ursay ( owner of the Indianapolis Colts) was putting in a horse training area and it needed to be done in 3 months. I stated that I doubted I could work a full 40 hours a week as I was just getting back to walking but I would work for $45.00 per hour with a 410 JD backhoe.

I was to fax in my hours every Thursday for pay on Friday. The third day there the forman came to me and told me I needed to take a 20 minute break every 2 hours. I stated that I could not do that as I would freeze ( no cab on the hoe) to just pay me for 40 extra minutes a day if he wanted.

The first Friday a lemo pulled up and in the snow I walked over and an envelope was handed out the window. When I got home I called Mrs Ursay and stated there was a mistake as I was paid $55.00 per hour. She stated she had been watching me and felt I was worth it. Next week she paid me $65.00 per hour and the forrowing week at $75.00 per hour. They had me tear down a strip mall and several other projects that lasted about 4 months total.

I could have laid and cryed about not being able to afford therapy but instead the Lord provided me with the therapy I needed (working the controls on the hoe) and paid me for taking it.

This is only one of many blessings I have recieved. Each of us is presented with blessings on a daily basis - - - but we need to do our part and follow through.

Now I will stop my soap box - - - Just remember we all have the Lord looking after us. But we are much like our own children and sometimes to bull headed to comply. Just as we try to make things easy and good for our children the Lord wants the best for all of us.

The was a good story, George, and you definitely have a good attitude. You should submit your story to the Guideposts Magazine. They are always on the lookout for inspirational material, such as that which you just shared.

George,

Especially in light of the prominant-The World owes me- attitude a lot of people have, that was refreshing...Thanks for sharing, it didn't come accross as soap box either, maybe soap weedy, but not soap boxy, LOL,

Thanks again for sharing,

PPRM

Latest posts