• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dectomax

Help Support Ranchers.net:

adventureman

Reaction score
Hey out there. For all of the Canadians out there, I got a bit of a survey that maybe you can help me out with. I think my vet is trying to rip me off :shock: and I was wondering if you could help me compare prices. I need to know what you are paying for 1 litre or 5 litre jusgs of Dectomax. Is anyone getting a better price than my $105/ 1 L or $350/ 5L ?

Thanks for the help.
________
Yamaha YZF-R1

I think we paid $350 per 5L jug last fall. This fall I think we will try to get our hands on some of the generic stuff that is way cheaper!!

Thanks for the info, fh!! For the price difference I think 80% effectiveness is still pretty decent. Ivomec and Dectomax are both priced out of line up here. A lot of people in this area last fall used the cheaper variety and had jsut as good or better control with it as opposed to the brand names.

M-R - just wondering about the status of importing generic ivermectin from the states. I thought I'd heard last year CCA was trying to stop it. Is it still allowed?

Bro; You can still import generic ivomec; contact customs and find out the rules.BTW while CCA is opposed to bringing in unlicensed vet products THEY are doing nothing to stop the actual process! CCA is actively pushing for harmonization of registration on vet products beween the US and Canada to allow easier access and hopefully better prices on animal health products.

cowsense said:
Bro; You can still import generic ivomec; contact customs and find out the rules.BTW while CCA is opposed to bringing in unlicensed vet products THEY are doing nothing to stop the actual process! CCA is actively pushing for harmonization of registration on vet products beween the US and Canada to allow easier access and hopefully better prices on animal health products.

That is something that definitely needs to be done...I wish more people and groups would go to battle against the big money corps and the big money taker politicians protecting them...The chemical and pharmeceutical companies are ripping off both sides...Identical weed sprays- made by the exact same company- that have a different name stuck on them in each country, that sell for 10 times the amount in the states, but are outlawed under the Canadian (cheaper) name-- same with some vet medicines and antibiotics--- Then they come right back and rip Canadians off on the ivermectin type chemicals, because the patent hasn't ran out up there yet....

And don't even start looking at the human pharmaceuticals that are 5 times cheaper in Canada- so the the FDA and the US government tell us they don't meet US standards- and when you check they are made in the exact same facility :wink: :roll: :( :mad:

Back in school in my Animal Health class told us we should buy drugs from our Vet as much as we can, this is part of their income. It also improves your relationship.

Anyway, I've been breaking that rule lately, I buy a little from my Vet, especially two weeks ago when I needed some LA-200 dropped off in a hurry...what could that be used for this time of year?? My Vet's prices was less then the local feed store.

I buy some of my stuff from Jeffer's, 5L of Cydectin is $299, not including dosing gun.

Paying a little more from your Vet makes them more willing to answer the phone when you have questions and need advice but don't actually need them physcially there.

Faster horses said:
Be very careful when buying the generic product. It had to only be 80% as good as the original avermectin products.

There is a real immunity building up to these products and 80% effective
is part of the reason why.
FH you are correct about the immunity building, but you are incorrect about only being 80% as good. generics use the same drug as the namebrand products but use a much cheaper carrier that reduces shelf life.

I got it from a Professional. Generic had to only prove to be 80% as
effective as the origianal to get cleared for sale.

My opinion is to use Safeguard for worming. Gets many, many more worms. There is supported evidence that the avermectin products only
get 50-70% of the worms, because of immunity buildup. Now take
that times 80% and you can see you really aren't cleaning up worms.

Plus the avermectin products won't touch Nematadiris, a worm
that can kill young cattle. When we run fecals and Nematadiris shows
up, the folks running the fecal get real excited. We did not have this
worm in Montana for a long time, but now we do. We see it quite a
bit. One positive for Nematadiris is too much.

We have our fecals run at an independent lab, not at the vets, since
most of their machines are set up for dogs, not cattle, and they miss
a bunch. That is why we were under the misconception we didn't have
worms in these northern areas. Believe me, we do have them.

We ran a fecal for a fellow who had been complaining that his cows
weren't shedding and had a reddish tint. He had been using Generic
Ivomec. His cattle had 7 DIFFERENT KINDS OF WORMS. I've never
seen a fecal come back with that many different kinds of worms.

My recommendation, pour for lice and grubs and treat for worms with
Safeguard. Either in the mineral, the feed or orally. We just did our yearlings and two-year olds and calves the
early part of July, doing it orally. The applicator works good. You can do
it at preg check time or to the calves when you pre-condition. You will clean up the calves and they aren't going to get re-infected when it is this
dry. Now in Canada, or where it is wet, the cattle could get re-infected.
Strategic de-worming is recommended at 6 weeks after turn-out to clean up the pastures.

We don't de-worm at preg checking, because we do that in October. If
we should get a wet fall, then the cattle would get reinfected. We pour them for lice and grubs at that time and worm using the mineral with
Safe-Guard in December. It's been working real well.

Refer to BEEF Magazine, April 2005, for an article on Parasites. It will
support what I have to say.

Hope this helps!

Thanks Manitoba Rancher, anyone else with prices? I know where I can get some generic stuff, it is exactly the same as Ivomec, $100 plus shipping, but I was interested in Dectomax as well. I only have one local source for it so some more info might help me negotiate better.
________
C/K

Most healthy mature cows up here in the great white north will shake off whatever worm load they encounter-we've done fecals a few different times and never found any wormload worth treating for in the summer. We do treat in the late fall and our grass cattle-alot of problems that people have with poor results is product being applied when it's convenient for the rancher not necessarily when it is most opportune for control-ex. too early in the fall. Ourselves we use Dectomax we've had good results and I know there will be good customer service if there is any problems-not sure I'd get that with something I bought out of the back of a halfton somewhere across the medicine line. I have a feeling all you'd get is a 'Too Bad-So Sad'. It's like I've said before you can spend alot of money propping up your bottom ten percent of your herd.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
I think we paid $350 per 5L jug last fall. This fall I think we will try to get our hands on some of the generic stuff that is way cheaper!![/quote

There is a group FNA that had members get generic for - $80/5l jug.
I saw an ad in a farm paper. There number is 1-877-362-3276.

How can a generic Ivermectin product give you less effetiveness or build resistance when the active ingredients are IDENTICAL to the brand name products? How is this scientifically possible. That is like saying that generic Acetminophen is only 80% as effective as the brand name product Tylenol...does not make sense.

If active medicinal ingredients are identical with the same % of active ingredient then how could it possible be any different... hmmm.

Why pay more than the $80/5 liter jug that some Canadian ranchers have already paid for the same active ingredients in a no-name brand label. We do it everyday at the grocery store and pharmacy when we shop for ourselves.

Faster horses said:
Be very careful when buying the generic product. It had to only be 80% as good as the original avermectin products.

There is a real immunity building up to these products and 80% effective
is part of the reason why.
FH - you are absolutely correct in your connotation concerning the "80% as good as the original" product!

For those breeders who are skeptical regarding the effectiveness of generic products, look at the WHOLE picture from a little different angle. I am as eager to save a buck (or a LOT of bucks) as the next person, but let's consider the physiological aspects of - - - well, ANY substance - the above-mentioned Ivermectin products, for example. Application of medication "X" does it's job 100%, and that is what we expect it to do. Generic product is much cheaper, is only 80% as effective -but - 80% does a fair job, and it is a lot cheaper and - and - and - - well, you know the rhetoric. But here is the rub, if you will pardon the pun: the 80% Generic product, in doing a - - well - FAIRLY good job, allows the Reticulo-endothelial system (explanation in a moment) to do only a FAIRLY good job. The Reticulo-endothelial system is a large part of the network of "disease-fighting" cells in the body endeavoring to resist invasion of the body of all kinds of negative bacteria, viruses, and other unhealthy critters. It includes cells of the spleen, lymph glands, liver, bone-marrow, blood cell formation, phagocytic destruction of old red blood cells, and bacteria, and the manufacturing of antibodies. By not destroying all of the "bad guys" right off the bat by functioning only 80%, we prevent the body from building up it's natural resistance to - "Whatever's" and the "bad guys" gradually strengthen themselves and get more powerful over time - causing the need for stronger and stronger "Anti" substances to be required to do the same job as the original would have done.

The 80 percenters may work okay in the immediacy of the problem, but in the future it will require stronger doses to accomplish the same results. That is exactly why the current anti-biotic products are so much stronger than they had to be 20-30 years ago-both for animals AND humans. The "bad guys' are stronger and the animals (including us humans) are less capable of resistance - therefore -stronger and MORE EXPENSIVE products are necessary. It is a continual "Catch 22" dillema, and we have nobody to blame for it but ourselves. If we continue to do a half-way job of correction and prevention, we will pay for it in the future, as we are doing right now - not only with our animals but with our Government as well! By NOT doing a 100% job of putting down traitors, insurrectionists and terrorists RIGHT NOW - - we have created a bigger problem in the future. Same thing with "80%" products. It will rise up and bite us in the buttocks sooner or later. Better to do the job right in the first place!

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!

DOC HARRIS

If active medicinal ingredients are identical with the same % of active ingredient
The operative word here is "IF". I understand your reasoning completely, but I think that we should have a healthy dose of skepticism when Product "A" is "- - - just as GOOD as product "B" - - but a LOT cheaper". Perhaps immediately - but I question if it is in the LONG RUN.

. . . .and . . of course . . we have to pay for the development and advertising of the product. I am not naive to the point of not understanding the business aspects of product promotion!

Just my personal opinion.

DOC HARRIS

By reading the label a person will know if the generic has the same AI as the name brand. If after reading the they are the same then you should expect the same results. The one outstanding difference there will be is that if there is a problem there might not be any service with the generic.

Bill

Apparently exposure to UV light, and air are both a factor in how well any of these products work. If it comes in a clear bottle, and is not sealed airtight, don't touch it. Even the name brands will lose effectiveness if you leave the top off the bottle and put it out into the sun. :shock:

I asked the rep from Pfizer about proper storage of Dectomax, and he told me that cold and dark is the best, and if you have a part of a big bottle left over, to put it into a smaller one that will leave less air space for storage. So save those one litre bottles. He also said that freezing is actually good. That made me feel better. Here I thought we were being sloppy managers forgetting the jug out in the tractor shed all winter, when we were actually doing the right thing. 8) Go figure.

It's not a good practice to use the same product year after year. Weather it's weed chemical or cattle pour ons. Mix it up and you aliviate the chances of resistance building up.

Latest posts