• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Deep, heavy snow!!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo

Reaction score
Poor trees, they are hanging pretty low to the ground, have to beat the snow off 'em, check out the garden :cry: , we had stuff covered, but this snow is heavy!!

deepwetsnow.jpg

Three unhappy dogs

corkinsnow2.jpg

Corky has to "plow through" this snow!

deepsnow.jpg

Those "lumps" used to be sunflowers :cry:

How did everyone else fare? 10.8" at Billings airport (official)-new record! Was supposed to go to Bozo (Bozeman) today, don't think I'm going anywhere!

Sure looks like you got a dump. we just had a cold wind all yesterday and it's starting out the same for today. The horses are saddled and we are heading out for a days gather in the badlands today. we couldn't do it if we had the rain and snow that you guys got as those hills get very slippery.
Everybody take care out there.

Sounds like some areas could have some bad power problems- lines and poles down...Heard both Miles and Baker were out- lots of rural areas...
Few years ago one of these early storms took down so many power poles that there were rural folks still out of power on New Years....

Hope everyone is doing OK and staying home-luckily we missed the white stuff.....

Ok ya'll with the snow pictures...your gonna hafta post pictures like these durin the month of December for those of us in Texas that dont have any, it might help git the Christmas spirit rollin. Just makes me sick to go Christmas shoppin and see people wearin shorts and flipflops.... :wink:

I'm dreaming of a whiiiiiite Columbus Day!!!!!!! Jersey, unless I remove these pics from photobucket, come back to this thread at Christmas and get yourself in the moooooooooood. Although this heavy stuff hurts trees, etc, and poor mama cows and babies don't know what to do with themselves, replacement yrlg heifers traveling all over the pasture, we'll be going into fall wet!

Guess this dampened your fire hazard....snow suck's no matter when you get it.

Tried to call my daughter in Miles on the cell phone, but couldn't get thru- looks like the roads out of Wibaux and Baker are closed--most of the rest of Southeast Montana (including the Interstate) are Emergency Travel Only- I don't think I'll have to worry about catching up those horses for my daughter to come get today.....

Oldtimer said:
Tried to call my daughter in Miles on the cell phone, but couldn't get thru- looks like the roads out of Wibaux and Baker are closed--most of the rest of Southeast Montana (including the Interstate) are Emergency Travel Only- I don't think I'll have to worry about catching up those horses for my daughter to come get today.....

Oldtimer:

I-94 is closed from Mandan to the MT border in ND, and I suspect is closed all the way to Miles City area--it's not too bad here, but the snow has kinda let up too.

I hope everyone is safe--

By the way Hanta Yo--this Colorado Mountain native is jealous of your snow. I love these heavy wet snows-they're like what we got in the Western CO mtns., much better than the dry, powdery (? spelling) stuff we usually get here.

You're gonna have to get Corky a belly warmer :) If he's anything like Holly he's loving the snow and is rooting around in it like a hog.

Stay safe everyone--

TTB

Good pix Hanta, it looks even worse here and until it clears off a little, there is no way I'm gonna go outside to take pictures. There are big branches busted off the trees littering the yard and we have at least a foot of heavy wet snow. The temp is just a hair above freezing and the snow has melted down a little, but the wind is still blowing around 30mph or so.

Our power went off several times, but right now we've got it back so are able to pump a little water. I've filled several buckets just in case it goes off again. Weatherman on Hettinger, ND radio just north of us says the snow will continue all day, although it has quit for the time being.

The neighborhood crew was coming today to help us sort calves for shipping Monday. The work day has been canceled and I guess we'll just sort off the bigger steers as we load only one truck. We'll ship the rest in a couple weeks, if we aren't totally snowed in by then.

Well looks like ole man winter might get a lil feisty this year? Maybe this ole place they call Texas aint so bad after all.............good luck

Seems this darn Colorado low has something to prove to us. :shock: The snow is coming down here heavy and it doesnt look good for this afternoon. This is jsut to early for a storm like this. Say isnt Buckerette from Co.? All of us that have gotten hit by this storm could give her a hard time!! :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :cowboy:

zephyrus31 said:
But Hanta Yo, it's OCTOBER!! The autumn sun is supposed to be shining still!! What's the warmest day you've ever had in Montana? 30 degrees perhaps? :???:

Warmest day here that I remember was 3 or 4 years ago, got to 114, wind blew like crazy, that summer it was over 100 for way too long.

Skies are clearing up, sun is shining, lots of broken branches to clean up :(

Turkey Track Bar said:
Oldtimer said:

Oldtimer:

I-94 is closed from Mandan to the MT border in ND, and I suspect is closed all the way to Miles City area--it's not too bad here, but the snow has kinda let up too.

I hope everyone is safe--

By the way Hanta Yo--this Colorado Mountain native is jealous of your snow. I love these heavy wet snows-they're like what we got in the Western CO mtns., much better than the dry, powdery (? spelling) stuff we usually get here.

You're gonna have to get Corky a belly warmer :) If he's anything like Holly he's loving the snow and is rooting around in it like a hog.

Stay safe everyone--

TTB

Yes, he is, TTB, however it's too early for this kind of snow for me :?

Kissed the garden goodbye :(

Liberty Belle
hope it quits soon, feel sorry for anyone that had scheduled to ship the next couple of days. I see we have an apple tree totalled, two apricots in really bad shape and some quakies that are now quaking in their roots. Get out the chainsaw :evil: :evil: :mad:

sw said:
Liberty Belle
hope it quits soon, feel sorry for anyone that had scheduled to ship the next couple of days. I see we have an apple tree totalled, two apricots in really bad shape and some quakies that are now quaking in their roots. Get out the chainsaw :evil: :evil: :mad:

sw, Hanta, and others:

Sorry for your loss of trees and garden. Sounds like power is out in most of the counties surrounding us--

I apologize for being so excited about the "good mountain snow"---I do realize the distruction they cause--we would have liked to have gotten a little at our place as we could have used some moisture. The Good Lord must have decided others needed more than we did this time---

Hang in there, and as always, cheers---

TTB

PS Go out and make a few snow angels for me!!!

No biggie TTB, you think I would be out in the drive playing with BMR if I was really mad? I am just so glad that for the first time in about 8 years we are going to be going into the winter wet and this is also filling ponds, yippee!!!! As far as the garden, this is October in Montana, it finally got cold enough that there are no flies on the cows this morning, you just have to take some good along with some bad, this is for the most part all good. TTFN

If I were looking at the brighter side of all this snow, I'd have to say that trackng cattle will be easier for a few days.......
We're down to about an inch of snow, and the sun is shining. :D

Just got our power back on and the yard looks like those pictures you see after a hurricane, just substitute a foot of snow for the water. The trees are busted up bad and one of them is on top of the bunkhouse next door. Hope it didn't poke any holes in the roof.

The guys are dragging creep feeders to the cows and calves they moved in the rain yesterday to get ready to sort today. They are also looking for the owner of about forty head of mostly black cows that came drifting down our far east road from the north. Anyone missing any?

Latest posts