• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Deer Population

Help Support Ranchers.net:

nr

Reaction score
Our state park management says there are 200 deer per sq. mile here
which is 10 times the recommended density so there will be a deer kill this week almost at our back door. Where's my body armor?
Was wondering what the deer pop. is in your area.

Too damn many! Not so many people hunt around here anymore, too expensive. My husband was hauling bales the other day, counted over 20 in one herd alone. The deer are making life very difficult for alot of the farmers around here, not just with chewing on the bales but in crops also. If there was fields swathed and laying on the ground for any length of time, the deer were into it, pawing through the swaths and crapping all over it. It was sometimes hard to thresh the deercrap out of the grain, and grain with deerpoop in it is hard to market. Should be open season on the rodents all year round!

Aww Shelley don't you think we should lock out all the hunters like South Dakota does lol. Ty and I did our part (10) this season-the funny thing is we'll have those devoured before archery starts in Sept.

I told anyone who wanted to hunt to shoot ten, and then take the best of the bunch and tag it. Leave the rest for the coyotes and foxes, they have to eat, too!

Shelly said:
I told anyone who wanted to hunt to shoot ten, and then take the best of the bunch and tag it. Leave the rest for the coyotes and foxes, they have to eat, too!
I did the same thing Shelly,except i told them to shot as many as they wanted.Told them they could just take the hinds if they wanted,or just leave the deer for the coyotes.I didn't care what they did with it.Our deer population,has gotten completly out of control.Your right,they should be allowed to be shot year round.

Wow, you guys are tough on the deer . If you want a real problem you ought to have to deal with wild hogs. They are totally out of control in Texas. A sow will have 2 or 3 litters a year. I have seen herds of 80 and in a night they can make a pasture look like it's been chisled.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
yeap efb they sure can, I posted pictures here while back of what they do to a hay field over night.

Is it open season always on wild hogs?

I seem to recall reading a few years ago that the river valley around the Edmonton area was getting more wild hogs all the time, as escapees from farms reproduced. They were worried at the time as they are prolific breeders, and apparently didn't figure the weather would take care of them.

Yes you can kill hogs anytime. But I do think you have to get a permit, from the National forest to hunt hogs in the forest. But I dont think it costs anything, just more or less a peice of paper stating you can be there huntin em.
There's no season on em, kill as many as you want/can

We don't eat the big boars, they stink to high heaven. But the sows, or youngen's are great. They make good sausage, can't tell the difference tween it and Owens breakfast sausage you buy in the store. There's not much if any fat on em at all. So when we make sausage, I call the local grocery store that still has it's own meat market in the back, and ask them to save me some fat trimmins to mix in with it.
Small one's are good cooked on the BBQ pit, clean em and cut them in half. Now that right there is some gooooood eatin.
We've also mixed it with deer meat and made sausage. Either one is good, smoked in links, or pan sausage. Bout the only peice of meat we don't make sausage out of is the backstrap. Slice it up to fry like you would pork chops......kids call em pork McNuggets.

Wow, I think that my boys and I should come to Texas to do a little huntin by you description of that meat. We're not big on pork around here(for some reason or another :wink: ) but sausage is always a welcome dish, especially at the breakfast table. Look out Hay Maker, Jersey, Tibbs, et al, we just may drop in there if the winter gets too long!

My sister and her husband rent a place around Galveston in February . . . possibilities . . .

Feral wild boars are getting to be a problem in Sask. Hopefully we will be able to something about them. No on wants to take resonibility for them Environment says their Agricultures problem and so on.

I will send my wife your way with her SUV. She is one darn good road hunter with her GMC. She has nailed several pheasants, turkey and her latest was a deer. The body shop knows her by name and recognizes her vehicle. She may be up for the task of taking out some wild pigs!! :D :D

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
better git a handle on em quick, they have about 13 or more to a litter and breed 3 times a year. So in one year one sow will produce roughly 30-40 offspring!!!!!

Lily:
Maybe the next Rachersnet Get-together should be a Texan Hog Hunt. :!:
Clean out your troublesome wild piggies for you.
Course some of us would have to brush up a little on shooting :wink: :roll: :p DUCK!

Latest posts