• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Deer Season is over

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Yesterday was opening morning for rifle deer season. I think all told we have 9 guys here hunting, and they are avid deer hunters. Tree stands, popup blinds, get out of bed and go freeze waiting for a big deer to come their way kind of hunters. I guess in a way I am just as avid. I sit at my dinner table watching out the patio door. Lisa is my scout, 'cause she sits so that she can see the back side of the yard. Well after all my great white hunters do their thing yesterday, and I am eating breakfast, here comes a nice doe. 30 yards out the door. I wait another couple minutes, and Lisa says he's coming. Open the door, and 40 yards out is a nice TREE SLAYER/ 5X5 white tail.

Deer001-1.jpg

Deer002.jpg

Deer005-1.jpg

Season was over at 7:45, and I still had to put my boots on, 'cause the grass was all frosty. Still in my Jammies when I shot him.

The winch we use to hang them was shorted out yesterday, so I didn't get a weight then, but I'll weigh him when I check him in tomorrow.

I shoot mainly a Ruger M77 stainless 7mm. Hand loads with 120 grain Hornaday loads. Used to use an OLD Remington Springfield 1903, with the peep site on it. I still love that gun, but with old age I need a scope. :oops:

That's a dandy buck. Glad you waited till hunting season so you can brag a bit. Probably got some jelous hunters on your hands. They can take turns making you breakfast next year in exchange for your "hot" stand.
My wife shot a big 6x6 whitetail in our back yard a few years ago. She had to crawl out a small window to do it. You might be a redneck if......
I was in deer camp an hour away, hers was the biggest buck of the week.

Mine wasn't the biggest, but he is nice. We are going to age him when I check him in. Its part of the "management" plan for the deer. Here you either shoot a nice mature buck, plus a whitetail doe, or you get fined $100. I think there were 4 nice bucks taken this weekend, and 14 doe. I still need to get at least 1 doe, and will probably try for 2 or 3 before season is over. All of our hunters are gone for the year, so at this point I spend as much time running outside hunters off, as I do getting any other work done.
I told Lisa I am not much of a hunter, I just HATE deer, and the damage they do!!

He weighed 170 lbs, and was 5-1/2 years old. Plus he shot a baby girl deer to help with the population control. She weighed a whopping 45 lbs.. lol My dogs weigh more than that! :D

LW Leather said:
He weighed 170 lbs, and was 5-1/2 years old. Plus he shot a baby girl deer to help with the population control. She weighed a whopping 45 lbs.. lol My dogs weigh more than that! :D

And it took 2 shots to bring her down. The first one took out a high tensile wire along with her ribs, second took out her lungs. Not enough mass to get any expansion.

Latest posts