• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

*&%#@** deer!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oh Shelly...boy do I feel for you...but if it makes ya feel any better your husband isn't quite as bad as my son. From his Junior yr, to his senior yr..he has been hit by 5 deer,2 coyotes, numerous birds, a pelican, a badger, and several rabbits...all with 2 new pickups in 2 yrs. Our insurance co. was very good to us, although they were starting to frown when he hit gravel on the side of the road and smashed into a large dumpster! (which was to close to the road anyway...owners had to move it) After all that he got his new truck fixed and the heaviest super duty Rancher Grill Gaurd they make put on...Now he's in Wyoming where the deer and antelope play freely on the roads...lol Thanks goodness he walks most places on college campus..and leaves that dodge parked! We too have lots of deer around here, and of course this fall they'll be moving all around. It's the babies that don't move out the way I've seen. So chin up...It's just a truck....lol YA Right!

Hmmm hasn't been a problem round here (I should not say this....I'll jinx somethin) so I'll leave it at that and say........There's been 2 hogs that were about 300 lbs, hit on the road goin into town in the last 3 days. about 50 yards apart. They'll do more damage to the underside of your vehicle than the grill.
Mr Lilly's dad shot one this evenin about 6pm, not far from the house.

Woo hoo he's throwin the thing on the bbq in a couple days. It was a smaller one that prolly weighed 75 lbs.

About ten years ago I smacked two about a week apart but haven't hit any since-it's nothing to see 1-200 in the first 50 miles south of us at night.

A few years back my Mom got on a real hot streak. Late in the season she nailed 2 bucks and one doe inside of 2 weeks. Hit a real big whitetail with her little S-10 Blazer, took the grill and stuff out. 4-5 days later hit another buck with Dad's truck, took the grill out of that one, then smacked a doe the day after she got her Blazer back.

As they say, when it rains it pours. :lol: :lol:

A woman a the company I used to work for was always very worried about hitting a deer since part of her commute was thru woods. She often talked to her co-workers about dreading that drive. One day it happened and the deer she hit killed her inside the car.

I'm glad all the cases you've cited have had a "happy" ending with only car damage. :roll:

The one I hit was a really nice 5 point buck.......Really I wanted to go back and get it and throw it ontop of the car, because I know my hubby wouldn't believe me when I said I hit a deer....
And if it wasn't for all my ranchernet hunting buddies, I wouldn't evan looked to see if it had a rack....... I was trying to score the rack like you guys talk, but it wouldn't stay on my hood long enough.... Damn the luck!!

sw said:
Katrina Katrina Katrina, now did you notice that Hanta Yo is telling stories about the deer I hit, NOT the ones she has smacked? Her memory must be slipping, she has taken more of them out than I ever have and she makes me do all of the driving. The bad thing we got going here, a whole bunch of elk have crossed the highway going north, then they cross back to the river to the south for water. They tend to go through the windshield since they have longer legs. I'm staying home for the rest of the fall.

:roll: I sure haven't hit as many as you nor did as much damage :roll:

Around here we used to complain about deer all the time. I live in the third most populated county in the world as far as whitetails go--that's the rumor anyway. I think first is Kimble County a little West of here around Junction, TX.

Then, everyone got big steel grill guards and started charging $5,000 to shoot a nice buck. Season leases south of San Antonio are averaging $8500 per hunter or so. Around Junction season leases run $1500 to $4000 or so. A package hunt of three days with everything included around Laredo goes for about $7500--depending on how big a deer you shoot. If you shoot one that goes B&C (record book), you can pay $25K or so.

Not much complaining about deer anymore...and some folks quit ranching and just run deer instead of cattle and goats.

I ordered me a stainless steel grill guard........ Does anyone have one?? It was five dollars more than a chrome one....... Dang.. now I can't sing "Chrome" Isn't that the name of the song ??

An old guy out west of here filled his buck tag with his car one year-that buck was hot dogging a doe and the old guy ran him down crossing the road-not reccommended hunting practice lol. 25K for a boone and crockett can't believe how lucky we are to be able to hunt for free up here pretty much. Never put one in the book yet but I've put the fear of god in a couple-the worst was finding a 196 N.T. sleeping in a slough after filling my buck tag-I could of whacked him with a post-my buddy got him with a bow later on.

Latest posts