• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Degelman Bale King drum design

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Cal

Reaction score
Check out the X design of this bale processor drum. Looks like it would be easier to cut or torch the twine off, and likely is extra durable. Anybody get one with this design yet?

http://www.degelman.com/Products/baleprocessor/bp_photo_five.html#top

I think this a good idea that they have gone too. They still havent got as good as system as the Highline models but a big improvement over the previous bale king models. Our bale King should be good for one more year before we look at trading it.

I have our local vermeer dealer trying to talk me into their version of that.. Sometimes tempting, sometimes not so tempting.. IO don't know if I want another piece of rusting equipment on the place.. And god knows, the moment it shows up here it will start rusting.

Manitoba_Rancher said:
I think this a good idea that they have gone too. They still havent got as good as system as the Highline models but a big improvement over the previous bale king models. Our bale King should be good for one more year before we look at trading it.

I see that the highline has knives (or hammers?) mounted more like a hay grinder. Do you know if this collects less twine than processors with conventionally mounted flails? I would assume it does. (pictures came up s-l-o-w-l-y)

http://www.highlinemfg.com/balepro.html

The Highline dearler has been wanting me to demo one of the ones with the chopper on the side. It still has the normal flails in the tub but the chopper on the side has about another 128 knives turning at 3000 rpm I think that chops the feed alot finer. I ve talked to one guy that bought one with the chopper a few months ago and he loves it. Saves him a big tub-grinding bill.

I dont have one but my cousins just bought one last week,they say its really easy to get the twine off and they like it so far,chops it up really good

Highline (Vermeer for those of you to the south) has an excellent twine cutter attachment- works well. I've seen the Highline demonstrated with the chopper attachment........looked like a contraption to me,slow and plugged easily. There was a lot of feed lost as fines and it looked like you would have to bunk feed only. We do feed cows daily with a processor and like the fact that we can spread feed out easily and dump poorer feed on top of good to encourage consumption but feed loss is a concern!
The new X rotors look interesting but often it's best to watch a prototype for a while and see if they turn out!

The Haybusters seem to be a little more popular in this area.
We have a Haybuster, and tried a Vermeer because we like the
dealer so well. The Haybuster was stouter made, and on our
model has a conveyor that rolls the bale as opposed to 1 flail
in the middle and 2 rollers. Mr. FH had to rock the bale in the
Vermeer to get it started and he didn't care for that so much.

Ours must be two or three years old now. I think it is a 2640.
We ordered it with a scale underneath. The scale cost $2500
and was well worth every penny. Now he doesn't have to guess
how many pounds he is feeding every bunch. And it's amazing
how much variation there is in bales.

We figured saving 50 ton of hay @ $50 over the life of the
machine would pay for the scale and we's still have the scale.

Rumen,Reticullum,Omasum and Abomasum work great here-I've hired bale processing done and never could make it pencil for mature cows-just made alot of busy-happy dust for the operator. They don't make poor hay better but they sure send leaves off good hay off into the wild blue yonder. Maybe if you were processing into bunks but blowing leaves all over the snow for the cows too mulch doesn't seem to make sense to me. Just being the devil's advocate.

Oh, you are so right. It doesn't change the nutrition value of the hay,
it just helps them to eat more of it.

Mr. FH cannot abide rolling a bale of hay out with a tractor tire.
He loves his hay processor. He used to come in griping all the
time about unrolling the big round bales. When you hate
something that bad, you better find a different way. He wouldn't
go back to unrolling bales any other way, I can tell you that.
And this way we use the tractor and dont' need another pickup
for a bale bed. If we had more cattle, he might look at a bale
bed, but we don't.

I hate to see cows standing on hay with the other end in their
mouth. You can feed with a bale processer and the cows eat
ALL the hay because you can make the windrow as narrow as you
want.

To each his own.

Some bale shredder guys have resorted to feeding at night as to avoiding contact with the bale grazing guys( moving there wires) :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Both of my balers are soft core I just cut the strings and shake them on the loader they self distruct pretty well.If there is left over hay all over the cows get shorted a bale or two that day.

Northern Rancher said:
Rumen,Reticullum,Omasum and Abomasum work great here-I've hired bale processing done and never could make it pencil for mature cows-just made alot of busy-happy dust for the operator. They don't make poor hay better but they sure send leaves off good hay off into the wild blue yonder. Maybe if you were processing into bunks but blowing leaves all over the snow for the cows too mulch doesn't seem to make sense to me. Just being the devil's advocate.
If there's a little mold in the hay, I'd just as soon see it blown into the wild blue yonder, most of the alfalfa leaves are actually left on and in the windrow if you just look, and if you're in a heavy snow or mud situation your best bet is a processor and a MFWD loader. Tried to pencil out feeding cows with a team, but too many would probably starve before we got to them all. Also haying meadows, those bales need to be gotten off of there before the water rises in the fall, and getting those bales off allows for some late grazing of regrowth without getting the bales tore to hell by a bunch of cows.

HUH? Did I ever tell you not to haul your bales out of the meadows that's just silly. I know that no man dare stand between a man and his favorite iron-I apologize for that. As for processing bales onto muddy ground it makes a fine clay/alfalfa pate' that I'm sure some cows eat with relish unfortunately not mine. The only time a processor worked for us was on canola bales that were baled with snow in them. They started to heat and we hired 800 of them shredded in about four days. We put 20 or 30 per paddock and treated it as swath grazing. In my operation we gave processors a fair shot but found no benefit-if they work for yours that's good.

Latest posts