• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dehorners

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RobinFarmandRanch said:
I dont know if many of you have horned cattle, but im lookin for a dehorner for my corrientes. its getting tough to tip the horns with a sawzall. :shock: any suggestions???

check these out.
http://catalog.mooremaker.com/browseGroup.cfm?item_group_id=29461

I'm still a sawsall man and a good set of nose tongs. Haw far u cuttin them back? For ropein. I'm goin to look at a new rig the got out this weekend. I"ll let u know. The blades they use on tow trucks and emt's r the best. I take a little under cut first. Then the big cut. We got a 2 in. Pipe welded to a rod that we sear them with if they bleed. Sure helps.

a polled bull could tip those horns at the base, with no labour from yourself :p

We have a good electric jobby that has lasted so long I can't find the brand on it anymore.

cowhunter said:
I'm still a sawsall man and a good set of nose tongs. Haw far u cuttin them back? For ropein. I'm goin to look at a new rig the got out this weekend. I"ll let u know. The blades they use on tow trucks and emt's r the best. I take a little under cut first. Then the big cut. We got a 2 in. Pipe welded to a rod that we sear them with if they bleed. Sure helps.

yeah im getting my younger corrientes ready for roping. what kind of rig is it? i found a pair of dehorners at TSC for 20 bucks i may go pick up. thanks for the help

gcreekrch said:
You're an old duck hunter, use your 12 gauge....... buffalo style. :wink:

My grandad shot a horn off of one of his cows once. Story got out that was the way he dehorned his cows. Truth was he was so mad at the cow he was going to shoot her and she turned her head at the last min. She got to stay around awhile longer. She must have done what he wanted after that.

Does the band thing work on older cows? I have two that need something done. They are just to big to get into the shute with out alot of work.

Have you ever used a OB saw? I think they work the best if you are cutting them off. It doesn't matter if they are moving around and you can saw them off from any position. Here is a site to find them, they're pretty inexpensive. http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_search_results.html

We used to use loppers for cutting through small tree branches. Worked pretty good!

I aint seen it yet but its somethin new. U know, I think it kind of rings the horn like a pipecuter then u have a clean cut that don't frazel. We cut some for a friend that we roped in his pasture with a little black and decker cordless chain saw. It was real real sharp. But to corse. It left ragidy cuts that frayed bad. A horn aint much morn than a bunch of hair. It worked real good at gettin the whole horn though of some wild hookbuggers. We looked like a bunch of texas chainsaw masicarodo's though.

Latest posts