• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Dehorning yearlings

Help Support Ranchers.net:

tamarack

Reaction score
Has anyone used those thick black rubber bands (the kind for casterating bigger bulls) to dehorn calves that are coming year old this spring?

tamarack said:
Thanks guys I only have one out of 65 and thought I would give it a try hate sawing off with wire.

You may already know this but make sure you push all the hair back away from the base of the horn. I didn't think of it right away and had to redo one.

By golly what will they think of next? We sawed and clipped for years . Usually the first good thaw in Feb. and was time to dehorn yearlings. used to be a d------ bloody mess. sometimes there would be 2--3 hundred. Old traders bought all horned cattle as they usually sold a buck or two less. Had one old timer that would sware that cattle did better if you bled them good before they went to grass. Never heard old traders say that but we had to cut them close so there was no stubs. Also would buy cows and dehorn and let them heal over a bit and resell them . Beleive that they about always made some money. Now use paste and or hot irons at branding,nearly nothing to it anymore.

" cut them close so there was no stubs" If I have to dehorn----havn't for many years---I deliberately leave a little stub. Make a loop from one to the other with sisal twine. It'll immediately stop the bleeding and keep it stopped. If you made loop too big, stick a twig in it in the middle and twist it like a fence brace, till bleeding stops, leave twig there.

You only need stubs maybe 1/4" inch or so. Animal will rub the twine off within a few days.

thanks didn't know that about pushing hair back will try as soon as it warms up a bit cooled off -20c today with stiff wind feels like -40 after the warm spell last week.

Latest posts