• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Delivering DDGS to the herd?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I would buy an older mixer wagon I have a Patz 240 we gave $1500 for at least 7 years ago found a gehl on craigslist my friend bought for $1800 then your feeding options are endless and they have scales on them. Of course you'd have to drive a tractor so the cowboy costume would need to be re-arranged.

Denny said:
I would buy an older mixer wagon I have a Patz 240 we gave $1500 for at least 7 years ago found a gehl on craigslist my friend bought for $1800 then your feeding options are endless and they have scales on them. Of course you'd have to drive a tractor so the cowboy costume would need to be re-arranged.

It is not hard to put a small gasoline engine ( about 25 HP ) on the tounge and a 4 to 1 reducing gearbox, electric start and electric clutch and then you can do it all with your pick-up

George said:
Denny said:

It is not hard to put a small gasoline engine ( about 25 HP ) on the tounge and a 4 to 1 reducing gearbox, electric start and electric clutch and then you can do it all with your pick-up

They get heavy. My two feeding tractors go 27 mph I drive about 3.5 miles each day each way its not so bad and tractors were made for this work pick-ups not so much

4Diamond said:
Maybe feed less more often??

I spent most of the day wrenching on the old forage wagon. Ugh. I'm thinking the further I can stay away from bearings, grease zerks, chains, and shear bolts the better off I am. A few extra trips with the home made nifty feeder is sounding better all the time.

This might be way bigger than what you had in mind.
http://www.billsvolume.com/UsedEquipment/TruckUnits/Product_3195-1981-FORD-WKELLY-RYAN-6X14_92001.aspx

This is the only photo I have of the "Pellet Puker" my son built. It has a gas operated power pack to run the hydraulic motor. Used all new materials and he isn't cheap. Cost $3000. It holds 3000 lbs of grain screening pellets, would hold more weight of a denser product like DDG's. The only change I would make is a 6 inch auger instead of the 4 inch we installed. You have to be in 4 wheel low to make a big enough row.

Oh, and drive in a circle when you feed them....... :wink:

https://scontent-ort2-2.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t31.0-8/16707351_394286960936584_6208647797936462525_o.jpg?oh=e36636e61446c4271e2ca30e7e01191e&oe=5A96AFDD

Neighbour built a big feeder out of an old air seeder cart. Holds lots, and was super cheap to build. Not sure if he pulls it with the truck or not.

Latest posts