• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Demo Opposition

Help Support Ranchers.net:

passin thru

Reaction score
Demo Opposition.............wonder why. The House of Representatives voted yesterday to require voters to provide proof of citizenship in order to vote in federal elections. What a good idea...this will keep the illegal aliens away from the polls. Naturally, the Democrats are opposed.

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - In a move to crack down against illegal immigrants voting in U.S. elections, the House of Representatives voted on Wednesday to require Americans to provide proof of U.S. citizenship to vote in federal elections.

Democratic opponents said the bill would discourage eligible voters. But it passed with overwhelming support of Republicans who argued that it would prevent fraud and stop illegal immigrants from casting ballots in U.S. elections.

"Those who are in this country illegally want the same rights as United States citizens without obeying the laws of our land," Rep. Ginny Brown-Waite, a Florida Republican, said during the House debate. "We should not let these criminals defraud our election system by allowing them to vote."

The legislation passed on a largely party-line vote of 228-196 and although immigration issues are a hot topic in this year's congressional elections, it has little chance of winning Senate agreement before the November 7 vote.

The bill would require voters to present a photo identification to vote in federal elections in 2008. By 2010 the photo identification would also have to show the voter is a U.S. citizen.

Democrats said the bill's requirements would hurt the poor, the elderly and others unable to easily obtain the documents required. They argued that obtaining required documents can be expensive and that there was no evidence to suggest voter fraud is widespread.

"It's an imaginary problem," Rep. Charles Gonzalez, a Texas Democrat, told reporters. "This is calculated to disenfranchise a certain segment of our society and those are minorities. The collateral damage will be seniors, the homebound, victims of disaster and members of the armed services."

But Republicans argued that requiring proof of citizenship and a photo identification would not impose a great burden on voters because identification is routinely required for other purposes.
http://today.reuters.com/news/articlenews.aspx?type=politicsNews&storyid=2006-09-20T204854Z_01_N20466565_RTRUKOC_0_US-USA-IMMIGRATION.xml&src=rss&rpc=22

You know, I always look forward to how the resident libs here respond to certain issues but I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS!

How will they SPIN it?

I am not a resident lib but this same Reublican controlled Congress cannot pass any type of Illegal immigrant bill????? Could it be the corporations need them too badly?? Too much corporate control??

Hang onto yer hat boys....I agree with you that this or something of the like should have been a requirement YEARS ago!!

TSR said:
I am not a resident lib but this same Reublican controlled Congress cannot pass any type of Illegal immigrant bill????? Could it be the corporations need them too badly?? Too much corporate control??
Has any such legislation been introduced by the Dems?

I can't imagine why this is even a discussion topic in Congress. How could anybody who claims to be an American even begin to think illegals or non-citizens should vote. Isn't that part of what America is? What are our military men and women fighting for? It just completely befuddles me that there could be any opposition to having to show a photo ID before voting. Heck, I had to do that to write a check at WalMart today. Why do they take voting priviledges away from felons...because it is considered a priviledge...and one that has been EARNED.

Soapweed said:
This is a no-brainer that shouldn't even be an issue. It should have been a requirement all along.

I agree Soapweed. But contrary to what Red Robin thinks. Why doesn't the Republicans pursue an effective immigration bill as fervently? Just a simple question??

Cal said:
TSR said:

Would they have the votes to pass it???

Red Robin said:
TSR said:
I am not a resident lib
Yes you are , you're just in denial. :wink:

Not at all RR, I just disagree with our president who said that it would be impossible to round up millions of illegals. I just don't believe that's true.
No matter how many or how dispersed they are, each small community has it law enforcement just as Los Angeles or any other big city does. It would just take time and someone with the courage to want to do it. I would be for such an undertaking, after all, are they ILLEGAL or not?

TSR said:
Cal said:
TSR said:

Would they have the votes to pass it???

So since they are not in power they should just sit back and do nothing till they regain power? :? Makes sense :roll:

TSR said:
Red Robin said:
TSR said:
I am not a resident lib
Yes you are , you're just in denial. :wink:

Not at all RR, I just disagree with our president who said that it would be impossible to round up millions of illegals. I just don't believe that's true.
No matter how many or how dispersed they are, each small community has it law enforcement just as Los Angeles or any other big city does. It would just take time and someone with the courage to want to do it. I would be for such an undertaking, after all, are they ILLEGAL or not?
I agree. Round em up and send them home. You get no argument out of me.

BBJ said:
So since they are not in power they should just sit back and do nothing till they regain power? :? Makes sense :roll:
:D I like that idea a lot. The dems should just sit down and shut up. Just like dis finally did. :lol:

It's not easy though, is it dis? :p

As a non citizen, with a greencard application pending, I fully support the position that proof of citizenship be a requirement for voters.I still have my Rhodesian picture ID which was a requirement for voting, the system now in place allows the corruption which has kept the present Zimbabwean government to stay in power (Thousands of dead people voted in the last election). Democracy is too precious to allow any loopholes that can be abused, protect it now or lose it through appeasement.

Latest posts