• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Democrat's Shopping List

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
The Stimulus Shopping List: $1.17 Trillion in Pork Goodies

Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:00 PM

By: David A. Patten Article Font Size

Having trouble putting down that cigarette? The stimulus bill has $75 million for programs to help people quit smoking.

The $1.17 trillion stimulus bill passed by House Democrats on Wednesday bears little resemblance to the bill originally proposed by President Obama, with less than 5 percent of the funds now going to repair America's deteriorating infrastructure.

GOP critics point out the bill is loaded with tens of billions for items ranging from Amtrak subsidies to sexually transmitted diseases to the National Endowment for the Arts -- much of which won't actually flow into the economy until long after economists expect the current economic crisis to subside.

In late November, Obama promised: "It will be a two-year, nationwide effort to jumpstart job creation in America, and lay the foundation for a strong and growing economy. We'll put people back to work rebuilding our crumbling roads and bridges," modernizing schools and stimulating development of alternative forms of energy.

Even some Democrats are now objecting that the measure contains too few highway and mass transit projects. Moreover Mark Zandi, chief economist for Moody's Economy.com, says most of the infrastructure spending in the plan won't occur until 2010 or later.

Provisions of the bill that many legislators are questioning:

$1 billion for Amtrak, which hasn't earned a profit in four decades.

$2 billion to help subsidize child care.

$400 million for research into global warming.

$2.4 billion for projects to demonstrate how carbon greenhouse gas can be safely removed from the atmosphere.

$650 million for coupons to help consumers convert their TV sets from analog to digital, part of the digital TV conversion.

$600 million to buy a new fleet of cars for federal employees and government departments.

$75 million to fund programs to help people quit smoking.

$21 million to re-sod the National Mall, which suffered heavy use during the Inauguration.

$2.25 billion for national parks. This item has sparked calls for an investigation, because the chief lobbyist of the National Parks Association is the son of Rep. David R. Obey, D-Wisc. The $2,25 billion is about equal to the National Park Service's entire annual budget. The Washington Times reports it is a threefold increase over what was originally proposed for parks in the stimulus bill. Obey is chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.

$335 million for treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases.

$50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts.

$4.19 billion to stave off foreclosures via the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. The bill allows nonprofits to compete with cities and states for $3.44 billion of the money, which means a substantial amount of it will be captured by ACORN, the controversial activist group currently under federal investigation for vote fraud. Another $750 million would be exclusively reserved for nonprofits such as ACORN – meaning cities and states are barred from receiving that money. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., charges the money could appear to be a "payoff" for the partisan political activities community groups in the last election cycle.

$44 million to renovate the headquarters building of the Agriculture Department.

$32 billion for a "smart electricity grid to minimize waste.

$87 billion of Medicaid funds, to aid states.

$53.4 billion for science facilities, high speed Internet, and miscellaneous energy and environmental programs.

$13 billion to repair and weatherize public housing, help the homeless, repair foreclosed homes.

$20 billion for quicker depreciation and write-offs for equipment.

$10.3 billion for tax credits to help families defray the cost of college tuition.

$20 billion over five years for an expanded food stamp program.

Republican leaders say the stimulus package will add 32 new government programs at a cost of $136 billion. They object that many of the programs, once established, are likely to continue indefinitely.

Most media outlets are reporting the cost of the package at $819 billion. As Newsmax revealed yesterday, however, the Congressional Budget Office calculates that the interest on the debt generated by the bill's spending will cost another $347.1 billion, making the total cost approximately $1.17 trillion.

Of course, the measure contains hundreds of billions in tax cuts and infrastructure projects that conservatives will find palatable. But as House Minority whip Eric Cantor, R-Va., told the media Wednesday, "This was not a stimulus bill. It was a spending bill."
© 2009 Newsmax. All rights reserved.

Yep-- and now the Repubs want their chance to fill it with "their pork" before it passes...

Except for the $75 million to fund programs to help people quit smoking, and the $50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts- I have no major problems with most of it....Some of it is what has been needed for years rather than building the economy and infrastructure of Iraq and every Mullah in the desert like the past President spent his reign...

$1 billion for Amtrak, which hasn't earned a profit in four decades.

$2 billion to help subsidize child care.

$400 million for research into global warming.

$2.4 billion for projects to demonstrate how carbon greenhouse gas can be safely removed from the atmosphere.

$650 million for coupons to help consumers convert their TV sets from analog to digital, part of the digital TV conversion.

$600 million to buy a new fleet of cars for federal employees and government departments.

$21 million to re-sod the National Mall, which suffered heavy use during the Inauguration.

$2.25 billion for national parks. This item has sparked calls for an investigation, because the chief lobbyist of the National Parks Association is the son of Rep. David R. Obey, D-Wisc. The $2,25 billion is about equal to the National Park Service's entire annual budget. The Washington Times reports it is a threefold increase over what was originally proposed for parks in the stimulus bill. Obey is chairman of the House Appropriations Committee.

$335 million for treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases.

$50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts.

$4.19 billion to stave off foreclosures via the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. The bill allows nonprofits to compete with cities and states for $3.44 billion of the money, which means a substantial amount of it will be captured by ACORN, the controversial activist group currently under federal investigation for vote fraud. Another $750 million would be exclusively reserved for nonprofits such as ACORN – meaning cities and states are barred from receiving that money. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., charges the money could appear to be a "payoff" for the partisan political activities community groups in the last election cycle.

$44 million to renovate the headquarters building of the Agriculture Department.

$32 billion for a "smart electricity grid to minimize waste.

$53.4 billion for science facilities, high speed Internet, and miscellaneous energy and environmental programs.

$13 billion to repair and weatherize public housing, help the homeless, repair foreclosed homes.

$10.3 billion for tax credits to help families defray the cost of college tuition.

Oldtimer said:
Yep-- and now the Repubs want their chance to fill it with "their pork" before it passes...

Except for the $75 million to fund programs to help people quit smoking, and the $50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts- I have no major problems with most of it....Some of it is what has been needed for years rather than building the economy and infrastructure of Iraq and every Mullah in the desert like the past President spent his reign...

$1 billion for Amtrak, which hasn't earned a profit in four decades. OT says yes

$2 billion to help subsidize child care. OT says yes

$400 million for research into global warming. OT says yes although over 600 top scientist say it isn't happening.

$2.4 billion for projects to demonstrate how carbon greenhouse gas can be safely removed from the atmosphere. OT says yes.

$650 million for coupons to help consumers convert their TV sets from analog to digital, part of the digital TV conversion. OT says yes. Gotta have that digital TV
$600 million to buy a new fleet of cars for federal employees and government departments. OT says yes...

$75 million to fund programs to help people quit smoking. OT doesn't smoke so he's against this

$21 million to re-sod the National Mall, which suffered heavy use during the Inauguration. OT is for this

$2.25 billion for national parks. This item has sparked calls for an investigation, because the chief lobbyist of the National Parks Association is the son of Rep. David R. Obey, D-Wisc. The $2,25 billion is about equal to the National Park Service's entire annual budget. The Washington Times reports it is a threefold increase over what was originally proposed for parks in the stimulus bill. Obey is chairman of the House Appropriations Committee. OT is for this

$335 million for treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases. OT is for this....sex education at it's finest

$50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts. OT doesn't have an interest in art so is against this.
$4.19 billion to stave off foreclosures via the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. The bill allows nonprofits to compete with cities and states for $3.44 billion of the money, which means a substantial amount of it will be captured by ACORN, the controversial activist group currently under federal investigation for vote fraud. Another $750 million would be exclusively reserved for nonprofits such as ACORN – meaning cities and states are barred from receiving that money. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., charges the money could appear to be a "payoff" for the partisan political activities community groups in the last election cycle. OT is all for this
$44 million to renovate the headquarters building of the Agriculture Department. OT is for pretty buildings.

$32 billion for a "smart electricity grid to minimize waste. Smart?

$53.4 billion for science facilities, high speed Internet, and miscellaneous energy and environmental programs. OT is for all this MISC

$13 billion to repair and weatherize public housing, help the homeless, repair foreclosed homes. OT is for this. Homeless repair homes???Yeah right. :mad:

OT is for this....gotta expand the food stamp program by all means.

Talking about a piece of crap. Where is the stimulus??

TexasBred said:
Oldtimer said:

$1 billion for Amtrak, which hasn't earned a profit in four decades. OT says yes

$2 billion to help subsidize child care. OT says yes

$400 million for research into global warming. OT says yes although over 600 top scientist say it isn't happening.

$2.4 billion for projects to demonstrate how carbon greenhouse gas can be safely removed from the atmosphere. OT says yes.

$650 million for coupons to help consumers convert their TV sets from analog to digital, part of the digital TV conversion. OT says yes. Gotta have that digital TV
$600 million to buy a new fleet of cars for federal employees and government departments. OT says yes...

$75 million to fund programs to help people quit smoking. OT doesn't smoke so he's against this

$21 million to re-sod the National Mall, which suffered heavy use during the Inauguration. OT is for this

$2.25 billion for national parks. This item has sparked calls for an investigation, because the chief lobbyist of the National Parks Association is the son of Rep. David R. Obey, D-Wisc. The $2,25 billion is about equal to the National Park Service's entire annual budget. The Washington Times reports it is a threefold increase over what was originally proposed for parks in the stimulus bill. Obey is chairman of the House Appropriations Committee. OT is for this

$335 million for treatment and prevention of sexually transmitted diseases. OT is for this....sex education at it's finest

$50 million for the National Endowment for the Arts. OT doesn't have an interest in art so is against this.
$4.19 billion to stave off foreclosures via the Neighborhood Stabilization Program. The bill allows nonprofits to compete with cities and states for $3.44 billion of the money, which means a substantial amount of it will be captured by ACORN, the controversial activist group currently under federal investigation for vote fraud. Another $750 million would be exclusively reserved for nonprofits such as ACORN – meaning cities and states are barred from receiving that money. Sen. David Vitter, R-La., charges the money could appear to be a "payoff" for the partisan political activities community groups in the last election cycle. OT is all for this
$44 million to renovate the headquarters building of the Agriculture Department. OT is for pretty buildings.

$32 billion for a "smart electricity grid to minimize waste. Smart?

$53.4 billion for science facilities, high speed Internet, and miscellaneous energy and environmental programs. OT is for all this MISC

$13 billion to repair and weatherize public housing, help the homeless, repair foreclosed homes. OT is for this. Homeless repair homes???Yeah right. :mad:

OT is for this....gotta expand the food stamp program by all means.

Talking about a piece of crap. Where is the stimulus??

You just proved your not an Ag producer-- much of the food stamp money vitalizes US agriculture- and agriculture products prices- who's producers if they have money buy equipment- and feed products- etc. etc.-- and puts money into circulation thru these equipment dealers, meatpackers, mills grocery stores, etc......

I can tell you're one of those that think milk, eggs, beef, macoroni grow in grocery stores :roll: :wink:

And as these 1,000's a day lose their jobs- and their homes- how do your expect them or their families to eat :???: You gonna move a few families in with you and feed them :???:

The food stamp program is probably one of the better stimulus needs for our economy right now...

IT IS ALL A BUNCH OF BULL SHEET !
OT Except for the $75 million to fund programs to help people quit smoking[/quote
I thought that all the tabaco tax should have gone to lowering the price of medicines used to help people quit smoking. But the government would lose all those taxes if people quit and no cigarettes were sold. They paid the taxes, then they should get it back with help to stop. This country is in for bad four years.

rancher said:
OT Except for the $75 million to fund programs to help people quit smoking[/quote
I thought that all the tabaco tax should have gone to lowering the price of medicines used to help people quit smoking. But the government would lose all those taxes if people quit and no cigarettes were sold. They paid the taxes, then they should get it back with help to stop. This country is in for bad four years.

Oh I think it will be longer than that...The Bush Bust is much deeper and going to take much longer than most think to recover from- and I doubt if my generation will ever recover to the state they were....

Additional tobacco taxes (raised $1 a pack) will go to fund the SCHIP program the Senate passed yesterday....

Oldtimer said:
rancher said:

Oh I think it will be longer than that...The Bush Bust is much deeper and going to take much longer than most think to recover from- and I doubt if my generation will ever recover to the state they were....

Additional tobacco taxes (raised $1 a pack) will go to fund the SCHIP program the Senate passed yesterday....

Amazing OT...you still want to blame Bush if Obama falls on his ass. When does Obama start taking responsibility? I know he started taking credit from day one but when the $hit hits the fan do we still blame Bush?

I say tax the booze, maybe $5 extra a drink. I don't think people need to smoke or drink. I can sure come up with the extra $5 to have a beer when I want. Would cut down on underage drinking, dui's, ruined family life, wife beatings, liver problems, car wrecks killing others. But then I doubt you would vote for that, right? Might save some gas from you headed to the local watering hole. Democrats think we can spend or tax our way out of problems. I say the US will be gone in four years if it follows the track our illegal president has us headed on.

TexasBred said:
Oldtimer said:
rancher said:

Amazing OT...you still want to blame Bush if Obama falls on his ass. When does Obama start taking responsibility? I know he started taking credit from day one but when the $hit hits the fan do we still blame Bush?

Well if history is our guide it seems like only yesterday the right-wing nutters were still blaming Clinton for everything.

TexasBred said:
Oldtimer said:
rancher said:

Bush spent 8 years practicing his "fiscal conservity" :roll: :lol: , corruption, failure to enforce laws and rules on the corporates and elite, and putting globalism and world expansionism ahead of the US worker/legal citizens, to get us into this mess we're in-- it will probably take as long or longer to get out of it--and like I said - many will never recover... :(

The Farm Bureau seems to think there is some great stimulus opportunities for Agriculture....

FB: Ag focus in stimulus bill
Jan 23, 2009 9:40 AM, SOURCE: American Farm Bureau Federation

An economic stimulus bill up for consideration by lawmakers must include investment in programs that will strengthen American agriculture and rural life, the American Farm Bureau Federation said yesterday.

"America's farmers, ranchers and rural communities are vital to our nation's economic future," AFBF President Bob Stallman wrote in a letter to members of the Senate and House appropriations committees.

"It is crucial to the future of rural communities that broadband deployment be approached in a manner that produces long-term economic growth," Stallman said.

He urged the inclusion of $6 billion in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Bill of 2009 to build a reliable rural broadband network that is affordable, moves data quickly and securely, and can be adapted as telecommunications technology changes.

"The slow or nonexistent deployment of modern telecommunication services in rural areas hinders the health, education, safety and economic opportunities of rural Americans. It also obstructs rural citizens' access to goods and services enjoyed by Americans living in more densely populated areas," Stallman said.

He also urged funding for the Rural Business-Cooperative Service, to provide rural business grants and loans, as well as for health information technology that will improve the quality of health care services.

Improvement of the nation's transportation system, particularly rural highways and the inland waterway system of locks and dams used to transport domestic goods including farm products to market, also is critical, according to AFBF.

"Our rural highways and bridges are outdated and crumbling. It is imperative that rural America get an equitable percentage of the proposed $30 billion for highway and bridge construction projects," Stallman said.

In addition, AFBF urged the inclusion of $2 billon in the stimulus bill for critical upgrades to the nation's locks and waterway infrastructure.

"Not only will this investment ensure that our nation's waterways will be a viable mode of transportation for years to come, it will create jobs and economic opportunity for Americans living along our waterways, and enhance our competitiveness," Stallman said.

AFBF expressed support for a number of other initiatives in the bill, including funding for new food and agriculture research on increasing productivity, development of domestic biofuels and food safety.

http://deltafarmpress.com/news/ag-stimulus-0123/

OT, any indication the Farm Bureau got anything on their wish list?

He urged the inclusion of $6 billion in the American Recovery and Reinvestment Bill of 2009 to build a reliable rural broadband network that is affordable, moves data quickly and securely, and can be adapted as telecommunications technology changes.

Urging is different than getting!

Child Health Bill Relies on Hefty Tobacco Tax Hikes
By Billy House

January 14 2009 |
WASHINGTON -- The U.S. House on Wednesday approved a major expansion of federally funded health coverage for children – a measure that would slam cigar manufacturers in Tampa and across the country with a big tax increase.
The bill -- which passed on a mostly party-line 289-139 vote -- would authorize about $33 billion over the next 4 1/2 years to renew the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP).

The measure would also expand the coverage to an added 4.1 million children, on top of the current 7 million now enrolled.

The Democratic-controlled Senate is expected to pass a similar bill this week. Unlike President Bush, who vetoed the measure twice, incoming President Barack Obama has promised to sign the bill into law.

Supporters of the measure, including Tampa's Democratic Rep. Kathy Castor, say they hope the legislation will help make the 800,000 currently uninsured children in Florida eligible for coverage.
The measure would primarily be paid for through a 61-cent-per-pack increase in the federal cigarette tax.

Does anyone else see a problem here? :?

Oldtimer said:
The Farm Bureau seems to think there is some great stimulus opportunities for Agriculture....

An economic stimulus bill up for consideration by lawmakers must include investment in programs that will strengthen American agriculture and rural life, the American Farm Bureau Federation said yesterday.

"America's farmers, ranchers and rural communities are vital to our nation's economic future," AFBF President Bob Stallman wrote in a letter to members of the Senate and House appropriations committees.

"It is crucial to the future of rural communities that broadband deployment be approached in a manner that produces long-term economic growth," Stallman said.

"The slow or nonexistent deployment of modern telecommunication services in rural areas hinders the health, education, safety and economic opportunities of rural Americans. It also obstructs rural citizens' access to goods and services enjoyed by Americans living in more densely populated areas," Stallman said.

He also urged funding for the Rural Business-Cooperative Service, to provide rural business grants and loans, as well as for health information technology that will improve the quality of health care services.

Improvement of the nation's transportation system, particularly rural highways and the inland waterway system of locks and dams used to transport domestic goods including farm products to market, also is critical, according to AFBF.

"Our rural highways and bridges are outdated and crumbling. It is imperative that rural America get an equitable percentage of the proposed $30 billion for highway and bridge construction projects," Stallman said.

In addition, AFBF urged the inclusion of $2 billon in the stimulus bill for critical upgrades to the nation's locks and waterway infrastructure.

"Not only will this investment ensure that our nation's waterways will be a viable mode of transportation for years to come, it will create jobs and economic opportunity for Americans living along our waterways, and enhance our competitiveness," Stallman said.

AFBF expressed support for a number of other initiatives in the bill, including funding for new food and agriculture research on increasing productivity, development of domestic biofuels and food safety.

Very funny, Fat Man. You never listened to or liked the Farm Bureau before or are they saying what you want to hear this time?

Slimey-Azz Hypocrit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Oldtimer on 8/18/2005 @ 9:01 P.M.
I was a Farm Bureau member for many years- even was asked to run for the local offices many times---was proud of the fact they supported mandatory COOL legislation and telling the consumers the truth... But I told them where they can stick it this year after their flip-flop on mandatory COOL...I do not want to belong to any organization that supports the fraud of using the USDA stamp to pass off imported beef to the consumers as US beef...

I talked with one of the National Delegation after they flip-flopped-- I was told that the beef areas delegation supported the M-COOL law, but were overrode by the people supporting the pork and poultry--( Which means 50-75% Tyson and the conglomerates)......I then sent this years FB dues to R-CALF as a donation........

You are one sleazy SOB. :roll:

hypocritexposer said:
OT, any indication the Farm Bureau got anything on their wish list?

Urging is different than getting!

I know the Broadband and some of the water system and road infrastructure updating is in it...

Also some energy plans which will probably keep grain prices up-- along with the funding for food (which Ag produces :wink: ) programs like Food Stamps/WIC ...

Mike said:
Oldtimer said:

Very funny, Fat Man. You never listened to or liked the Farm Bureau before or are they saying what you want to hear this time?

Slimey-Azz Hypocrit!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Oldtimer on 8/18/2005 @ 9:01 P.M.
I was a Farm Bureau member for many years- even was asked to run for the local offices many times---was proud of the fact they supported mandatory COOL legislation and telling the consumers the truth... But I told them where they can stick it this year after their flip-flop on mandatory COOL...I do not want to belong to any organization that supports the fraud of using the USDA stamp to pass off imported beef to the consumers as US beef...

I talked with one of the National Delegation after they flip-flopped-- I was told that the beef areas delegation supported the M-COOL law, but were overrode by the people supporting the pork and poultry--( Which means 50-75% Tyson and the conglomerates)......I then sent this years FB dues to R-CALF as a donation........

You are one sleazy SOB. :roll:

Where did I say I was a member...I've been quite open about the fact I quit Farm Bureau...

But that doesn't change the fact that Farm Bureau seems to think there is some benefits for Agriculture- does it :???:

Your going to have a type A stroke out with all your worries and rants...

Hardly, I enjoy every minute of showing others what a lying hypocritical piece of crap you are.

If the Karl Marx Manifesto agreed with you would put it here to make a point? :roll: :roll:

Have you no shame? :roll: :roll:

Mike said:

Hardly, I enjoy every minute of showing others what a lying hypocritical piece of crap you are.

If the Karl Marx Manifesto agreed with you would put it here to make a point? :roll: :roll:

Have you no shame? :roll: :roll:

Why should I have shame for that post :???: -- I didn't say I even agreed with FB-- and have made it quite clear I didn't like the outfit for years....I just made the point they seem to think it could be good for agriculture...If your a FB member- you should be pissed at them- not me-- but you never like anything that doesn't fit thru your narrow visioned glasses...
And its always the messengers fault :roll: .....

You need to go burn another cross-- and get your jollies so you can calm down a little :wink:

Latest posts