• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Denny and others

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Well, with winter on its way, its time to update a few things in the shop. Every winter, I end up with some sort of a metal project to build. A couple years ago, it was a building to work our exotics in. Last year, an ally to work cattle, and so on.
My cheap old chop saw is about done, and I need to replace it. I do have a band saw, but use it very little. My question is... do I buy another abrasive saw, or step up to the slow turning carbide saws?

a few of the welder/fabricator guy's around here are going to the hand held portable band saw's Milwaukee brand comes to mind but i'm sure there are others

My abrasive cutoff just died and I bought another one I bet I've owned 25 of these in 25 years we work the heck out of them but also have a stationary metal cutting band saw that I like quite well. For what they cost I would'nt be without one this new one was purchsed on friday at Menards for $109. 2 year warrenty bet I get a free one but the last one lasted 3 years had a Milwuakee that lasted 3 cuts one time never bought another milwaukee , Makita's are my favorite but knowone here has them.

Neighbor has a carbide type and I've used it was'nt impressed for what they cost and the amount of use he got out of it mine pencil out cheaper and it was slower cutting around here they fight over the saw the way it is so you better get with it and get out of someone else's way. Cost's us about $15 per trailer for cut off blades and saw replacement cost.

Denny said:
My abrasive cutoff just died and I bought another one I bet I've owned 25 of these in 25 years we work the heck out of them but also have a stationary metal cutting band saw that I like quite well. For what they cost I would'nt be without one this new one was purchsed on friday at Menards for $109. 2 year warrenty bet I get a free one but the last one lasted 3 years had a Milwuakee that lasted 3 cuts one time never bought another milwaukee , Makita's are my favorite but knowone here has them.

Neighbor has a carbide type and I've used it was'nt impressed for what they cost and the amount of use he got out of it mine pencil out cheaper and it was slower cutting around here they fight over the saw the way it is so you better get with it and get out of someone else's way. Cost's us about $15 per trailer for cut off blades and saw replacement cost.

that's the best endorsement you can get, from someone who actually uses/wears it out :tiphat:

I have a Milwaukee that has served me well for quite a few years. I have a stationary metal cutting band saw that I use quite a bit. The chop saw is nice for its portability. I'm curious what the rest of you are using for cut off blades. The last I got were Metabo. I don't care for DeWalt blades.

Cedarcreek said:
I have a Milwaukee that has served me well for quite a few years. I have a stationary metal cutting band saw that I use quite a bit. The chop saw is nice for its portability. I'm curious what the rest of you are using for cut off blades. The last I got were Metabo. I don't care for DeWalt blades.

There's two types of Dewalt blades one is junk the others are pretty good about $1.50 price differance.

Had a Makita cut off once. Cut a lot of small stuff and didn't realize it had a problem, then went to cut a 4 inch pvc pipe and it didn't cut right. Put a square on it and it was off, grrr.

I'll never have another Makita product.

Thanks for all the replies, and input. When I was working at the fertilizer plant in Kansas, we would go through a chop saw a year, and they got used for alot more then just cutting. My 2 biggest complaints are the dust and the diminishing size of the blade. The local welding shops here are really pushing the carbide tipped saw, and to honest, the price isn't all that far off of the price of an abrasive one. If I was spending my own money, I might be more inclined to buy a carbide tipped saw, but spending the ranch money...

Again thanks for all the input.

I have a Makita lc1230 carbide chop saw. It's tough. Takes somewhere around 20 seconds to cut 8 inch I beam. (Actually cuts all but the last quarter inch). They are more expensive, but definitely worth it in my opinion. Actually got mine off CL for $200.

Latest posts