• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Desert disguised as Canada (Pictures)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Well, winter is here. :D We got thumped on thursday by a storm and me and my dad headed for the ranch yesterday (friday) to check on the cattle. We almost didnt make it. It was a pretty western trip across the desert just getting to where i could unload a 4 wheeler to open gates. We called the county and got them to send a patrol to grade the roads today so we could get a stock trailer up to unload horses. But our mission for Friday was to open gates and let the cows head for lower ground. This picture was taken about 15 miles from where i needed to get to. :shock: Some desert??? :roll: :wink:

This at the mouth of Joe's canyon. That's a solid 15 inches of snow. I was able to get up to the gate and open it. 7 cows were waiting at the gate and they gladly headed for the desert. We will trail them across the desert to home tomorrow.

My dad went with me. He doesnt get a horseback anymore but he likes to help scout for cattle on his 4 wheeler. We spent a good day together and opened all the gates we wanted to get open so the cows could start down.

We got the gates on the east side opened and started a few cows down. Then we went over west and attempted to get to Burn canyon and open the gate. But there was even more snow west. So i left dad at the 4 wheeler and started hiking. Figured it was just over 2 miles to the gate. Trouble was, hiking in 20 inches of snow isn't a picnic. Just go ahead and try it on for size if ya doubt me. This was about halfway to halfway. Thankfully, one old cow had come on down and i had here trail to follow part of the way.

King Soloman ledge was sure pretty sticking up out of the snow. Kinda looked like an iceberg in the setting. :wink: Indians musta liked it up there as they left drawings if a guy knows where to look.

I made it to the gate in 57 minutes. Not bad for a out'a shape old guy. :D This is the water trough in Burn canyon. It usually stays open all winter. That water tastes good after a hike through the snow.

Here's the gate i needed to open. The cattle arent on top of the mountain. They are on the foothills at about 7000 feet on private ground. Leaving them out as long as we can sure saves hay. But, when a big storm comes, we have to take em' and go for home.

22 head were standing there wondering where i'd been. They strung out like they knew where they were going. :D By the time i got back to the 4 wheeler, 6 more had caught up and passed me. 28 head on foot is a pretty good little jag of cows. BUT I'D MUCH RATHER RIDE! :D Gotta do what it takes though.

Today, we followed the grader up and unloaded the horses. Brought a wheeler too but didnt use it much. I owe the grader operator a package of steaks and a 12 pack of Pepsi. Well worth it since it saved me walking again. :wink:

Dad stayed home today and Phil was my compadre. Pulling up out'a Burn canyon in deep snow took a while. We had 102 out there and i'd found 40 total yesterday.

I just snapped a few pictures as we gained altitude so we could head down into the "pocket". It's a spot cows drift into when a storm like this one shows up. This pic was kinda cool with the lighting and the snow.

We split up and each took a draw. I pushed this lone cow off toward the gate before dropping down toward the pocket. What did they say in "Man from Snowy River"?.....If ya know where to look you can gather em' up with a butterfly net! :D

When the snow covers up the grass, these ol' desert cows will hit the browse pretty hard. They had tuned up that little patch of sage and buck brush. They werent taking any hurt but they would if they couldnt get down out'a there.

We brought 31 head out and strung them across through the ridges and out. It was a cold, clear day but a great day nonetheless. Everyday a horseback is a fine day. What a priviledge it is to ride a good horse through pretty country after cattle. :D

There was 2 feet on the level in places and bigger where it drifted. We messed around checking spots that always hold cows and ended up with 86 head heading south for home. We found tracks where cattle had followed my trail from yesterday out in the night and feel pretty confident that 95+ are down. We will have hard numbers tomorrow when we hit the first corral. Those of ya that don't run in big country might scratch your head that we can't account for every cow yet. But we will and every cow has a way down out of the deeper snow. No bovines left behind.

The last bunch of 12 was found right before dark. They will be the tailenders and we will trail them down with the others tomorrow. 3 counties, 3 days and roughly 60 odd miles. It'll be more fun than throwing little chickens in a creek. :wink: :D :D See ya in a day or two. Have a fine evening.

That's double the snow we've got H. Don't know how anyone could live in a place like that! :D

Hope you guys got them all and the trip home is uneventful. When that white stuff sinks in it will look pretty good.

Glad to see you got some moisture 'H, I bet it will pay dividends in a short while. Is it unusual to get that much snow in your area at one time? If so I'm with Gcreek, you may wanna look for some place more hospitable to live! :lol:
Looks like you got done what needed doing, and enjoyed doing it!

Great pictures, Leanin' H. You definitely have hard work cut out for you, but you seem to be handling it "in stride." :wink: Hope all the cattle find their way out of the mountains before you start trailing them home. That desert country will bloom next spring with all the moisture that has occurred. Thanks for letting us trail along with you.

Great pictures H!!! I can't imagine hiking in 2 miles in deep snow. I've done it, but whined about it for a week afterwards. You live in some pretty country, as long as I can see it from my nice warm house!!!

I've got water lines froze up, already, so I am moving critters around trying to keep them hydrated.

Good to see the eastern part of the Great Basin is getting blessed too. On the western edge we have had an awesome fall and winter. Just when I get ready to complain about the snow and mud. I remind myself how damn dry we were up until a couple months ago. Makes a guy giddy about next Spring..

Great pictures as usual!!!! Good luck with the rest of the drive and don't forget your camera :) Great that you got the snow.

beautiful pictures H :D

if you keep makin' those cow's eat bush they'll turn into goats :wink: :lol: :lol:

Best of the New Years wishes for you and your's :!:

Whitewing said:
:shock: Unbelievable that anything can survive under those conditions.
It's just a bit of snow Whitewing. Sure beats bugs and snakes and things that all go away with the coming of the snow.

Will your moisture soak in or run off next spring? Our soil froze up last week so any snow we get between now and March will just blow around and run off when it melts. Hopefully we get dumped on in March and April.

We have mud under our snow so I feel it will soak in for a while anyway - - - at least I hope so.

per said:
Whitewing said:
:shock: Unbelievable that anything can survive under those conditions.
It's just a bit of snow Whitewing. Sure beats bugs and snakes and things that all go away with the coming of the snow.

A bit of snow? 20" :shock: Being from Louisiana originally, I'd be dead in an hour. :D

H they make these thing that strap onto your Muck boots called SNOW SHOES makes it alot easier to walk 20+ inches of snow :D just something a Desert Rat should look into when he has to go walking in deep snow :roll:

jodywy said:
H they make these thing that strap onto your Muck boots called SNOW SHOES makes it alot easier to walk 20+ inches of snow :D just something a Desert Rat should look into when he has to go walking in deep snow :roll:

These?

lepus_americanus.jpg

Latest posts