• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Desert Reunion 2010

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Will G said:
Great stuff H. What were they mining for in that old mine?

Our country has a little of everything. That mine was a gold/silver with a bit of lead and zinc also. We still have some Copper and Beryllium claims we fool with a little. The Tintic mining district was one of Utah's richest around the late 1890's through 1910.

leanin' H said:
Will G said:
Great stuff H. What were they mining for in that old mine?

Our country has a little of everything. That mine was a gold/silver with a bit of lead and zinc also. We still have some Copper and Beryllium claims we fool with a little. The Tintic mining district was one of Utah's richest around the late 1890's through 1910.

I didn't know what Beryllium was so looked it up. Interesting.
Uses

Beryllium is used as an alloying agent in producing beryllium copper, which is extensively used for springs, electrical contacts, spot-welding electrodes, and non-sparking tools. It is applied as a structural material for high-speed aircraft, missiles, spacecraft, and communication satellites. Other uses include windshield frame, brake discs, support beams, and other structural components of the space shuttle.

Because beryllium is relatively transparent to X-rays, ultra-thin Be-foil is finding use in X-ray lithography for reproduction of micro-miniature integrated circuits.

Beryllium is used in nuclear reactors as a reflector or moderator for it has a low thermal neutron absorption cross section.

It is used in gyroscopes, computer parts, and instruments where lightness, stiffness, and dimensional stability are required. The oxide has a very high melting point and is also used in nuclear work and ceramic applications.
Handling

Beryllium and its salts are toxic and should be handled with the greatest of care. Beryllium and its compounds should not be tasted to verify the sweetish nature of beryllium (as did early experimenters). The metal, its alloys, and its salts can be handled if certain work codes are observed, but no attempt should be made to work with beryllium before becoming familiar with proper safeguards.

Latest posts