• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Diamond "A" Cattle Company

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Up until a few years ago at least, the Matadors still had a place in Montana. Maybe sold it to all of the big money out of California? Or even Ted Turner? Seems like it was over towards Dillion or in that area. Read about it several times in Western Horseman and other magazines.

Silver said:
cowsense said:
It's very interesting to see the references to Murdo Mackenzie and the various Matador operations. The Matador operated a grasser operation in central Saskatchewan from 1912-1922 . They stated that they got their best gains and finishes on the "northern" shortgrass ranges. Settlement contributed to the Matador pulling back to it's Dakota and Montana operations. "The Last Roundup" by Stan Graber gives a good overview of the final era of the Canadian Matador.

I don't know much about it, but my grandfather worked for the Miner ranch in the '30s and he talked about the Matador... so it must have went past 1922.... or am I mistaken?

Silver the Madator became a big grazing lease the I think the Perrins ran for some time and it still operates today. I am sure cowsense know more about that area then me.

The Matador is down by Dillon, still running cows, Ray Marxer runs it

Yes there was a Washington County in South Dakota.

It was located east of Custer and Fall River counties and between Pennington and Shannon County. The town of Kyle was on the eastern edge of Washington County. I don't think this county was ever organized.

TXTibbs
Mossman was a shipping point for the Diamond A. It was or is located 7-8 miles west of Ridgeview along Hiway 212. It was located next to the Old Milwaukee Road railroad tracks. There is still a large set of corrals there. Last I knew the land where the corrals are, was owned by Johnny Holloway.

Speaking of Washabaugh County reminds me of this little deal. Nebraska has 93 counties, and on the license plates,for the most part they are numbered by population rank. Douglas County contains Omaha, and it is number 1, Lancaster County with Lincoln is number 2, etc. Cherry County, which is by far the biggest in land size even though not too many people live here, is number 66.

Back when Washabaugh County was still a viable entity, it was number 66 in South Dakota. One time an old Sandhill rancher was eye-balling a South Dakota car. On its license plate was 66. He thoroughly surveyed the situation, and then drawled, "I didn't know there was a Cherry County, South Dakota." Of course, he "got the goat" of the South Dakota rancher who owned the car, which was his intention all along. :)

Silver..... BMr is right: when the Matador pulled out in 22 the Perrin family run the operation for years as a community pasture (I presume) that continues to this day under the Matador name. My only knowledge of the ranch comes from " The Last Roundup". It's an entertaining read. Perhaps you may have read exerpts that were run in Grainews years ago. The Perrins perhaps know more about the Canadian Matador story than anyone!

cowsense said:
Silver..... BMr is right: when the Matador pulled out in 22 the Perrin family run the operation for years as a community pasture (I presume) that continues to this day under the Matador name. My only knowledge of the ranch comes from " The Last Roundup". It's an entertaining read. Perhaps you may have read exerpts that were run in Grainews years ago. The Perrins perhaps know more about the Canadian Matador story than anyone!

I have dug out a book, dusted it off, and see that you are quite correct. The Matador pulled out in 1922. It is interesting to note that one 'field' on the Matador was 69,120 acres with only a perimeter fence. Thats big.

I've grown up hearing names like the Matador, Cruickshank ranch, Minor ranch, etc. and it gets a little confusing. Gotta sit down with the books once in a while :?

You all have come up with some interesting and informative posts.

I believe the Matador is, or was fairly recently, owned by the Koch, pronounced like coke, I think, corporation/family? Not sure. We drove around part of it in TX a few years ago, and hope sometime to visit the operation in MT. Ray Marxer and his wife are good friends, good people, and good ranchers. The Matador won the national Environmental Stewardship Award of NCBA for their region the same year we won the Region VII (ND, SD, NE, KS). I think it was seven years ago. The Matodor finished in top place, and the Marxers were excellent spokesmen for the program to demonstrate the environmental excellence and efforts practiced by many ranchers.

TXTibbs, is that book by your mother available for sale? What is the name of the book?

MRJ

TX, I am from NC. While visiting my grandmother this week in a Spearfish nursing home (Dorsett Health Care), I met a man named Charles Capp. He is from Faith and said he rode with Diamond A and Casey Tibbs in the 30's. He started telling stories about those days and it was very interesting. He is 90 and I believe he could talk about those days all day and night (sharp memory). I thought this may be the person from Faith you were referring too. If so, maybe he is the last survivor of the original Diamond A. I am returning to NC this week and thought I would pass along this info in case anyone is interested.

TXTibbs said:
I've heard my grandpa and dad talk about Mossman as if its a location. Like they'll say "up at Mossman" or "Over at Mossman"....I'm not sure if they are refering to a draw or a creek or what. Our ranch borders the Cheyenne River (well actually now Lake Oahe) and before they flooded the river bottom and wrecked some of the best country in the area grandpa and dad used to go across and do stuff on the other side of the river quite often. Neighbors from across the river would come for parties and vice versa. I wish i'd of grew up in that era. I think it would of been a lot of fun. My mom wrote a book about our area of South Dakota and its really interesting.

Did anyone ever have the opportunity to meet Winnie Alexandar? She lived to the age of like 101 or so and died in about 2003 I guess or somewhere near there. She was an old timer from that area and could tell lots of stories. I've seen her on TV telling them about the Diamond A and sure was interesting to hear her rendition of things. She was a Hiett i believe before she married an Alexandar. She was Joe Hiett's daughter.

Joe Hiett was from the Ridgeview area, and owned the Bar Z Bar Ranch if any of you heard of it. Joe's sons were Charles and Peter (Swede) and daughters that lived in the Eagle Butte/Ridgeview area were Mrs. E.E (Winnie) Alexander and Mrs. John Maupin. There is a story in this book mom put together that talks about Joe Hiett roping a wolf while gathering cattle north of the Cheyenne River. Quite interesting to read those old stories.

I think all the original Diamond "A" bunch is dead now. Kirk Myers and some ole boy from Faith used to be the last survivors, but Kirk died and I think the Faith guy did to.

I know its turning spring and calves are dropping up home......makes me homesick.

Yes sir, that is him. I figured he died, but I guess he is still going. 90? That isn't that old...I was thinking he would be like 100 by now or close to it. Charles Capp, I believe that is the guy from Faith I was talking about. Thats interesting, thanks for the post BF.

Where did you meet him? Is he in the nursing home in Spearfish to?

TX,

I met Capp this week. He is a resident of the Spearfish nursing home (Dorsett), where my grandmother is, but it doesn't seem like he even needs to be there. He said he moved there in Sept. 2004, so he wasn't there when I last visited 2 years ago. After listening to him, it sounded like he had to grow up fast when he was young. I think he is probably happiest when he has an audience for his stories.

BF

Dode MacKenzie was shot in the town of LeBeau not Evarts. He was with the Matador Cattle company. Lebeau was south of Evarts and is also out of the water now with the low water level of the river. Last summer I found a branding iron, draggin V, that was used by the Matador. It was at an old camp of the Matador on the north side of the Moreau River. I run cattle in the old "strip" and run across interesting pieces of history.

Hey Lazy TJ, I got a chance to see that draggin V iron last summer. What an interesting piece of history. You will have to show me where LeBeau is sometime before the river comes back up. Your old cow #400 calved the other day, she had a big black bull calf

MRJ said:
EJ, I believe that was Murdo Mc Kenzie. The town of Murdo was named for him. Part of the country he ran on was north of the town of Murdo. Not too long ago, there still was an old log cabin standing that those old-timers used.

Found a bit about Cap Mossman in the Roundup Years, Old Muddy to the Black Hills book. This was from the Argus Leader and written by Laurel Gray. "The largest cattle ranch in South Dakota was started by a cowboy who once controlled the entire county of Armstrong and had 50,000 head of beef roaming (can't resist pointing out that even back then, ranchers realized their cattle were "beef" on the hoof) roaming about his domain.

The colorful cowpuncher was Capt. Burton C. Mossman and the ranch was big Diamond A, located in Dewey and Armstrong counties. A member of the tough Arizona Rangers, Capt. Mossman was thrust among the reckless, dangerous characters of the west and became the source of many heroic tales of courage. The shipping point, Mossman, was named after the brave cattle owner, although it is no more than a spot on the map today."

I'm not certain "Mossman" is even on current maps. I personally do not know where it was. Will see if I can find out.

Isn't there a barn on the south side of the Cheyenne River bridge on hiway #63 that carries the diamond A brand? Haven't been by there in quite a while.

MRJ
the diamond a which is on that barn on 63 is owned by pseudo-cattle folks.. my grandfather managed the diamond a for "cap" from 1927-1940 when he died of cancer of stomach. he was a REAL cattleman throught and through. not like the present day imitators.

anyone wanting info on diamond a contact clarence mortenson in sun city,az. he knows more than anyone left alive of the "outfit",as it was called by the old timers. also as a boy ,put wood in "caps" woodbox when cap stayed in eagle butte during summer visits. also sdpbtv did a film and 18 hour of interviews on the "outfit" several years ago. interviewed dad,kirk myers, nels babcock,winnie alexander,and several others. nels took over for grandpa wnem he passed away in 1940 of stomach cancer. cap aked granddad who he felt could succed him and he said his good friend nals was ready and able. 60 years after granddad's passing those ol' boys still talk of him with reverence. sez alot about all of them and thier bond.bio of cap is also available and a good read.

bf said:
TX, I am from NC. While visiting my grandmother this week in a Spearfish nursing home (Dorsett Health Care), I met a man named Charles Capp. He is from Faith and said he rode with Diamond A and Casey Tibbs in the 30's. He started telling stories about those days and it was very interesting. He is 90 and I believe he could talk about those days all day and night (sharp memory). I thought this may be the person from Faith you were referring too. If so, maybe he is the last survivor of the original Diamond A. I am returning to NC this week and thought I would pass along this info in case anyone is interested.

TXTibbs said:
I've heard my grandpa and dad talk about Mossman as if its a location. Like they'll say "up at Mossman" or "Over at Mossman"....I'm not sure if they are refering to a draw or a creek or what. Our ranch borders the Cheyenne River (well actually now Lake Oahe) and before they flooded the river bottom and wrecked some of the best country in the area grandpa and dad used to go across and do stuff on the other side of the river quite often. Neighbors from across the river would come for parties and vice versa. I wish i'd of grew up in that era. I think it would of been a lot of fun. My mom wrote a book about our area of South Dakota and its really interesting.

Did anyone ever have the opportunity to meet Winnie Alexandar? She lived to the age of like 101 or so and died in about 2003 I guess or somewhere near there. She was an old timer from that area and could tell lots of stories. I've seen her on TV telling them about the Diamond A and sure was interesting to hear her rendition of things. She was a Hiett i believe before she married an Alexandar. She was Joe Hiett's daughter.

Joe Hiett was from the Ridgeview area, and owned the Bar Z Bar Ranch if any of you heard of it. Joe's sons were Charles and Peter (Swede) and daughters that lived in the Eagle Butte/Ridgeview area were Mrs. E.E (Winnie) Alexander and Mrs. John Maupin. There is a story in this book mom put together that talks about Joe Hiett roping a wolf while gathering cattle north of the Cheyenne River. Quite interesting to read those old stories.

I think all the original Diamond "A" bunch is dead now. Kirk Myers and some ole boy from Faith used to be the last survivors, but Kirk died and I think the Faith guy did to.

I know its turning spring and calves are dropping up home......makes me homesick.
mossman is located east of eagle butte,sd about 2 miles west of ridgeview.old stockyards still there along rr tracks.

Comes to my mind that someone should sit down with this gentleman for a couple of hours - and be sure to take a tape recorder.

When he is gone, so is an amazing amount of history.

B.C.

TXTibbs said:
Yes sir, that is him. I figured he died, but I guess he is still going. 90? That isn't that old...I was thinking he would be like 100 by now or close to it. Charles Capp, I believe that is the guy from Faith I was talking about. Thats interesting, thanks for the post BF.

Where did you meet him? Is he in the nursing home in Spearfish to?

I was mistaken...the guy I was talking about was Nels Babcock. He was the one from Faith I was talking about....not Charles Capp. Mr. Capp may have been with the Diamond A to, but like my Grandpa wasn't on salary but yet helped out a lot. I dunno....way before my time.

Latest posts