• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Diamond D Angus

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pknoeber

Reaction score
Has anybody ever dealt w/ Diamond D Angus out of Valier MT? I know there's several folks from the far north on here and I'm hoping you can let me know about this outfit. Mostly I'm interested in your opinions of their cattle, not 1 specific bull, but the whole outfit in general. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Phil

Phil;
I've dealt with Don/Mark for 8-9 years. Mark has always been very forthcoming with any information I felt I needed. Very honest and reputable outfit. I've bought a few bulls over the years. They have good maternal cows. With a fair bit of close breeding in the pedigrees.

One of my neighbors has dealt with them for years and speaks very highly of them- he bought a couple of their bulls and a couple of their heifers again this year... They like to follow up on their bulls and see how they work out--He had a bull that he bought from them a few years ago that developed exceptionally that they came back and bought back from him after he'd proven out on the commercial herd .... He says that you can pick out every one of the Diamond D bulls from a distance when he gathers bulls as they come in in such better shape than the others...

I have never bought cattle from them, but do have their bloodlines in one of my bulls and some of my cows--all very easy keepers- truly moderate framed and quiet, as they really stress temperment.......

I think very highly of their program. And make no mistake, it is a program. They don't chase fads, they don't look for high EPD cattle (sorry, Doc) but their cattle are very functional. I really appreciate the way they score their cattle in the catalog. They score on temperment and udder quality. Also they give cow/calf weight ratio and have done so for as long as I have gotten their catalog. I've been intersted in their program for at least 15 years. Should have bought from them long ago, because the cattle have sure gone up in price.

Look at the success they are enjoying right now. Their last sale saw fantastic prices.

I'd say they are real cattle for the real world.

We are planning to AI* all our heifers to 21X this year which is one of Diamond D's own bulls. We tried to purchase a 21X son at their sale this year and the man doing the bidding for us (we gave him $4500 to spend) said they all brought over $5000. Pretty spendy for a commercial man. Guess the cattle are working!!!

(*IF we AI.~My partner thinks there is alot easier way to go about getting those heifers bred. :wink: )

FH: As for AI your heifers, you might take a look at "Baldridge Nebraska." He was advertised at $25 but I got mine from Semex for $15.
No since putting all your eggs in one basket by using only one AI bull.

Alabama-
Heaven forbid that your calves might all look alike! Of course if the cow herd is a mixed bag they won't look alike anyway. :shock:

That's the kind of positive response I was hoping for. I'm an ag lender and I've got a customer that's looking at doing some ET work with their genetics. Fits perfectly with his philosophy/program. Problem is I don't know diddly about registered genetics (mostly farm oriented & backgrounding/feedyard). Everything he's told me about them has been supported by the responses.
FH you'd really like this guys outfit. Runs the cattle on irrigated improved grasses w/ intensive grazing. Feeds the cattle mineral, not sure if it's Vigortone :D and that's it. No grain. Yearling bulls have amazing thickness across the top & they have a decently round back-end. He doesn't want an EPD wonder that falls apart, he wants something that looks almost as good coming back in as it did when he was sent out. Moderate frames, he doesn't want replacement heifers that weigh 1500 lbs & will eat everything in sight & still need more. Guess we'll see how everything pans out.
Thanks everybody

I have heard such good things about this bull (21X) as far as calving ease and females go, that I am committed to using him. And no, he isn't one of the 'high fad' bulls. We have neighbors who would like to have the sons for heifer bulls, so as far as I am concerned, there is no need to look any further...

but thanks for the input.

The people we buy our bulls from used 21X for two years now and they don't think the heifers can be beat. That is important to me; actually THE most important reason to use him. He is a moderate bull and full of meat.

And Phil, you are right, I'd like your man's program.

Good point RRoss: A matched load will sure sell better.
Some bulls were just made to help heifers make a living on the first calf. They are hard to find at a good price.

You sound sold on 21X. If he is angus do you have his AAA number? I would like to take a look.

I think it is #12773616

He is Wye bred and you aren't going to like his EPD's. But remember, he comes from a closed herd, or a herd that was closed. He is an opportunity to get within breed outcross genetics, IMO.

He is a 1997 model. He is a very easy-fleshing, good temperment, herd sire. Mature, he weighs 2200# in a meat and muscle package.

He was sold and DeBoos bought him back when he had some age on him, after seeing what he produced.

Another thing I would like to mention about Diamond D's program. It is packed with fertility. They have stuck with Wye cattle all these years.

Alabama said:
You sound sold on 21X. If he is angus do you have his AAA number? I would like to take a look.

http://www.diamonddangus.com/ddafahren21x.htm

I sure don't like his EPD's. They suck at production but he is a bet the ranch calving ease sire. I see he descends from a long line of cattle from your environment. That may well swing the difference in your favor.
As for outcross on Angus. He is sure that. He did not trace back to anything I know. Good luck with him and please let us know how he works out for you.

21-X
He is a double bred Fahren of Wye{the Fahren daughters are pretty hard to beat]. His mother is out of Carty of Wye[another good female producer] and the great grandmother on the dams side is the 779 cow that they have flushed quite extensively.

Don Deboo kept the cow herd basically closed, but with the problems at Wye he and Mark had to look elsewhere. Mark got caught up in the Montana Angus Politics for a while and soon realized that what he had at home, was better than what his neighbors had. His epd's were low, [with the exception of $EN.] the pedigrees weren't popular. But the cattle had adequate performance, good carcass and great females.

Latest posts