• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Different ways to start a range fire.l

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LazyWP

Reaction score
Its been an interesting spring to say the least. What with little moisture, and 50mph winds. I have been doing a little corral remodeling. The first day I didn't have my fire pumper with me, and tried to burn the neighbors bale pile down.

017-2.jpg

The rest of the time I never tried welding without the fire unit running.

013-3.jpg

Then tonight, Lisa and I were out driving around and found this.

001-3.jpg

003-3.jpg

004-4.jpg

There was bark and parts of the tree over 100 feet from the tree. Must have happened a couple weeks ago, when we had a thunder storm blow through. The weird part was, I couldn't find any char marks coming down the tree. No burned spot on the ground either, thankfully.

What no pictures of the fire? :wink:

A week ago I responded to a hay fire at the neighbors started by a hay grinder. My guess from what they told how the bales were stacked about 600-800 big squares burned.

There are both positive and negative lightning strikes and only one will start fires but I can't remember which.

Cedarcreek said:
What no pictures of the fire? :wink:

A week ago I responded to a hay fire at the neighbors started by a hay grinder. My guess from what they told how the bales were stacked about 600-800 big squares burned.

There are both positive and negative lightning strikes and only one will start fires but I can't remember which.

Reds Hot
Blacks Not :? :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Cedar had one over a week ago too. Guy was good at burning CRP but not good at using fire lines. Idiot burnt 2500 acres.

Guy had the nerve to ask me if he could go in these coulees to put out the fire. Told him no because I wasn't in charge of that fire.

Few more weeks and I'll be looking for any tips I can get to get a good fire. 2500 acres would be a fine start! :D

We had a fella here start one with a rotary ditcher. He hit some rocks, which sparked and set the grass on fire. With 40+ mph winds it was off and running. Darn near burned his house and two of his neighbors' houses also.

I sure like your fire apparatus, great idea.

Silver said:
Few more weeks and I'll be looking for any tips I can get to get a good fire. 2500 acres would be a fine start! :D

Thats what I was thinking you could burn 10,000 acres here and all it would do is kill off some brush and alot of ticks.

The fire outfit normally goes on a 91 Dodge 1 ton dually, but the 1 ton was tied onto a gooseneck trailer, and this way I had both the welder, and the fire unit right there with me.
I think almost every "controlled" burn, around here, has gotten away from them. There was one south of us that burned nearly 10,000 acres. Probably alot of the area needed burned, but..... this country HATES fire with a passion.

nice thing about having it on a trailer, can be hooked onto anything or by anybody in need and doesn't tie up a truck

LazyWP said:
I think almost every "controlled" burn, around here, has gotten away from them. There was one south of us that burned nearly 10,000 acres. Probably alot of the area needed burned, but..... this country HATES fire with a passion.

A couple of counties over from me, a farmer after being told 3 times not to burn a field in red flag conditions did so anyway. It got away, now he's on the hook for a million$ of damage and suppression costs.

I know for sure that you can't burn money to start a fire.
Case in point: a friend of ours was gathering wild horses in AZ
and it was really, really cold. He wanted to get a fire going to warm
up a bit and didn't have anything to start the fire with. All he had
in his pockets were some bills so he tried to get them going to
get the fire started. He says, "Have you ever tried to burn money?
It won't burn."

I always remembered about that because it was so funny to
me at the time. :lol: :lol:

Burning pasture this spring and had a near disaster when evidently a flaming rodent ran across the road into our big pasture. Not a fun position to be in having two fires burning and only one of them intentional.

Jake said:
Burning pasture this spring and had a near disaster when evidently a flaming rodent ran across the road into our big pasture. Not a fun position to be in having two fires burning and only one of them intentional.

We had a hay stack fire one time... flaming rabbits would run out of the stack on fire and into another stack that wasn't on fire. The owner sprinted back to the house for a shotgun, to prevent the fire (rabbits) from spreading to other stacks. :shock:

It has been my experience that the only fires that are a real benefit are those that scare the hell out of you.

Latest posts