• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Digital TV B.S.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Pardon me while I blow a freaking gasket! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: We have had great TV reception for only around 50 years! Then the powers that be decide we all need to upgrade! The government gives away millions and hundreds of millions of dollars worth of convertor boxes! Then they turn off the analog signal and we start trying to get digital TV! Well since I live beyond civilization our coverage is garbage. I have a new box. I have an outdoor antenna on a 25 foot pole. I have moved the antenna all over heck's half acre! And I get garbage for reception! :mad: I refuse to pay $40 or $60 bucks a month for Satalite. So my question is, how many others are having problems? This could turn into an emergency as if my sweet wife can't watch dancing with the stars somebody will get beaten into goo! I got on the FCC website tonight and discovered that according to their own map, I get zilch for signal! I could have an antenna that picks up Zimbawain yodeling contests and mount it on a hundred foot pole and I'd get Squat! :mad: :mad: :mad: Tell me I ain't alone! :cry:

H, if something is bothering you, just let it go....get it off your chest, you'll feel better. we are here for you :wink:
we were switched over quite a few years ago, so nothing has changed for us. but i do understand your concern about your wife not getting her favorite shows. for my wife it would be SVU, or law & order...if she did get those there would be hell to pay, and i would probably the first he would collect from :? :cry:

The new and improved quite often leaves those of us out in the country with little or nothing. We went with satellite TV over 20 years ago since all we could get was mediocre reception on one station. I just paid the annual bill for Dish Network last, will take a steer calf to cover it. We have satellite internet since it was the only option faster than dialup.

Big Muddy rancher said:
It could be worse. :nod: :nod: :nod:

You could get real good reception of the CBC :roll:

For the first 20 years we had TV we had 2 or 3 stations- Regina and one or two North Dakota stations....Stampede Wrestling, Lawrence Welk, Hockey :gag: , or Minnesota Twins baseball ( I knew every Hamms Beer Bear ad theme song by heart)..

Bring your family and watch Satelite TV with us H. On the other hand, Mrs says she has some old knitting books from before we got TV (1998). :D

Now drink a glass of warm milk and chill out. It's not the end of the world, just another of life's hurdles.

Think of the taxes you'll be able to serve your country with when you break down and buy satelite. :wink:

Just think of how many more stations you will have with nothing to watch that is worth while. RFD-tv and the history channels have some good programing. Satellite bills are cheaper than divorce or hospital after the wife makes goo out of you.

You are not alone! Reception is terrible. Thought it was the old TV, bought a new one. Reception is still terrible.

You're not alone. Try explaining to one of those people that you live in a coulee, that have no idea what the heck a coulee is, and you are getting zero signal. Solution, get a bigger antenna. :roll:
Haven't watched any TV on the local channels since they shut off the analog.

Ours hasn't changed abit, they are still broadcasting in analog thru the local translator district. Which is a good thing cause we aren't getting anything digital either.

We could give you the play by play on Dancing with the stars right here on Ranchers. :roll:

Yes, that is the way it is. Anyone quite a distance from a station is out of TV. Analog would still work with a weak signal, but digital will shut down with a weak signal.
Raising your antenna another 20 ft. may bring in the signal, but at that expense, maybe satellite is the best way to go.
In the earlier years in Cherry county, Nebraska we put up towers, some 100 ft, to get a weak signal. With some translators, at least one channel was available. Now in the Valentine area, since the translators burnt down in a fire a couple of years ago, there is nothing off the air, except PBS if you have a good antenna.

jodywy said:
Our local transmitter take the didital and turns in back into analog we didn't have to change a thing here :D

Are they going to be able to continue doing that? It was my understanding that those analog bands were designated for emergency services and the military to use and eventually going to be allocated to them....

Reminds me of years ago- when some people were picking up some of the close transmitted police calls on certain tv channels...

Oldtimer said:
jodywy said:
Our local transmitter take the didital and turns in back into analog we didn't have to change a thing here :D

Are they going to be able to continue doing that? It was my understanding that those analog bands were designated for emergency services and the military to use and eventually going to be allocated to them....

Reminds me of years ago- when some people were picking up some of the close transmitted police calls on certain tv channels...
It my understanding it the deal the local TV association made with the FCC, It is a deep mountain valley and takes 3 or 4 re-transmitters. Guess the band will not interfere with anything else

jodywy said:
Oldtimer said:
jodywy said:

It my understanding it the deal the local TV association made with the FCC, It is a deep mountain valley and takes 3 or 4 re-transmitters. Guess the band will not interfere with anything else

Hopefully that is what ours did too.

We've had satellite for years otherwise we got nothing down here where we live. Were close to the RR Tracks and their radio waves mess up our TV waves. We don't go out much so TV is our entertainment. Rodeo's cost too much to attend $15 per person plus $25 in gas to get there before any treats. I have no desire to drive anywhere to watch sports boring.

Latest posts