• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

discharge

Help Support Ranchers.net:

andrews29

Reaction score
have a cow that appeared to have have cleaned out after calving last thursday. today she has a small amount of bloody mucus coming out. was thinking of running her through the chute and giving lute and antibiotic. whats everybody think ? Cow seems healthy has not went off feed or water

WyomingRancher are you saying this is a normal part of her cleaning out ? the reason i ask is our vet always say they should be done cleaning out 12 hours after birth

I'd call it normal remember we've most likely calved more cows than a vet.

I bet ya she is fine and just taking her time finishing cleaning out. Keep an eye on her and if she keeps messing around or acts infected then treat her. :D I am not a vet but i play one on TV. Kidding. Good luck

andrews29 said:
WyomingRancher are you saying this is a normal part of her cleaning out ? the reason i ask is our vet always say they should be done cleaning out 12 hours after birth

Yeah, if it isn't tissue looking, I wouldn't get very concerned. They can leak a little goop for a while after they calve. Even if it is tissue, I still wouldn't get too worried if she's still feeling good, just give her some antibiotics.

Sounds pretty normal to me...as long as it doesn't appear to be any remaining afterbirth. Although on that regard, last year I kept records on all the cows that had some retained afterbirth a day or so after delivering just to see if they would breed up or not (we got pretty lazy and didn't doctor them) and they ALL bred back up. Ugly to see though; and like I said we got pretty lazy about it! :oops:

Latest posts