• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

disk hay cutter

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I've got 2 1411 NH discbines. They are tough and easy to work on when the operator drags them over something they shouldn't be.

I really don't know much on the subject so this is just what I see. There is an awfull lot of used John deere swathers setting on the local macdon dealers lot. A couple people that I think even have green underwear switched to a macdon. Where my wife is from there are about as many switching from John Deere to massy- agco-Heston-whatever you want to call them. Like I said don't know anything about the machines just what I see in the fields and on their lots.

we have run a New Holland 1409 discbine for 8 years now with no trouble, cutting around 320 acres per year. blades and grease have been only expense so far

956 John Deere. Quite a bit wider than what you are looking for though, but I imagine the narrower ones are much the same. I expect mine is nearing the end of natural service life, (it had cut many thousands of acres before I got it) but it's still an amazing machine. I have actually cut 100 acres in a day and still had time to make 100 bales.

Silver said:
956 John Deere. Quite a bit wider than what you are looking for though, but I imagine the narrower ones are much the same. I expect mine is nearing the end of natural service life, (it had cut many thousands of acres before I got it) but it's still an amazing machine. I have actually cut 100 acres in a day and still had time to make 100 bales.

ya but where you live in the summer time your days are 3 months long. :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:

ya but where you live in the summer time your days are 3 months long. :lol: :lol:
:lol: :roll: :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Silver said:

Well, that is a valid point! :lol:

Worked in Deere dealership, but we had a lot of new Hollands, ran a Vermeer, for a neighbor, new Hollands were easier to fix when theynreally broke down, cutter modules were quick to replace, the vermeers with the quick change blades were a lot more forgiving in what you ran over that you shouldn't have. The deere 's were engineered better, probably a stouter machine, but working on them is a more intensive operation.
If I was buying one tomorrow, it would be a yellow one, and I tend to have a green tint to me. The mac dons are good machines so I've been told, am a little leery of getting parts tho.

I have a Kuhn 11.5 ft. It hasn't cut any hay this year though it works great our hay is a bit thin this year and my double 9 rowse mower will out cut it on a lot less fuel in that type of hay but thick knarly lodged hay the discbine excels. I've been told that Kuhn made the early discbines for John Deere but I don't know if that's true or not.

We have a Kuhn GMD 700 3pt it has 7 disc's and cuts 9ft +. we have had it for over six years and it cuts through anything ( drawback no conditioner ) Like Denny said Kuhn and Taarup were on the cutting edge of disc mowers no pun intended and they did build them for other companies.

3 M L & C said:
I really don't know much on the subject so this is just what I see. There is an awfull lot of used John deere swathers setting on the local macdon dealers lot. A couple people that I think even have green underwear switched to a macdon. Where my wife is from there are about as many switching from John Deere to massy- agco-Heston-whatever you want to call them. Like I said don't know anything about the machines just what I see in the fields and on their lots.

The reason for so many john deere's sitting on macdons lot,because macdon makes swathers for john deere now,and they can probably buy the same swather a lot cheaper from macdon then john deere.We are seeing the same thing here,die hard john deere guys are trading off there green equipment and bringing home red,especially swathers,high clearance sprayers and quad track tractors.I drove one of the last new john deere swathers cutting hay,it was a nice swather because it was new,but besides that i kept thinking this is a new machine and this is the best machine you can build,macdon will defiantly be a big improvement over the swather i ran.

I have a 5209 New Idea discbine. I was told they make them now but under a diffent name and number. Anybody know what it is. The 5209 has been a good machine. farmguy

Latest posts