• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Distillers Grain

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bruce C

Reaction score
There was some discussion a while back about how much corn can be fed before upsetting the microbes in a cows stomach. Can someone comment on the use of distillers grain and how much can be fed to dry cows with fairly good year old hay( Round bales stored under cover) that is mainly grass. Can be wet or dried grains
Bruce C

Bruce C said:
There was some discussion a while back about how much corn can be fed before upsetting the microbes in a cows stomach. Can someone comment on the use of distillers grain and how much can be fed to dry cows with fairly good year old hay( Round bales stored under cover) that is mainly grass. Can be wet or dried grains
Bruce C

Bruce C:

I PMed you some info. I hope it helps!

One website that might be of some help is:

Adobe Acrobat (PDF) version
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/ansci/beef/as1242.pdf

Web version (faster download time, won't print as nice as the PDF version)
http://www.ext.nodak.edu/extpubs/ansci/beef/as1242w.htm

Cheers-

TTB :)

Bruce C said:
Bruce C

Dry cows for fattening or drys for calving? I would limit the protien somewhat if you are keeping the cows, but that being said they can take a bunch of distillers grain either way.

The startch has been changed and it is high protien, up to 25%. The energy associated with founder is lower than regular grains, similar to a decent hay. In wet form I know of guys feeding 10-15 pounds a day with no problem other than the cows being very fat.

You might want to look at a calcium suppliment if feeding lots of the DG. The Phos content is altered in the distilling compared to the total weight, the phos remains high while some of the weight is removed during distilling.

If you get this stuff cheap it will really help your feed costs.

Good post Jason......Much bbetter than pushing small amounts of grain. :D :D

Thank you for all of the good information . This is for wintering dry cows to calve in late April & May . Hay is a little short due to dry weather
Bruce C

Latest posts