• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

DNA testing revisited

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rancherfred

Reaction score
Over the last couple years there has been some discussion here about DNA profiling. I haven't utilized this tool yet but am planning to for sire determination. Igenity has a replacement heifer panel that they offer. What I am wondering is if anyone has utilized that particular test and what their experience has been with the way it matches up to real life. I am particularly interested in the stayability and maternal calving ease portion of it. I know that these traits are impacted by environmental factors as well, but for the cost of test, an additional $10 bringing the total to $30, it seems like a tool that might be a good way to screen potential replacements. I know that it costs me way more than that to grow out a heifer to determine if she is going to be a potential cow. If it is even a reasonably accurate predictor of long term viability in the herd it seems like it would be pretty useful. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Latest posts