• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Do any of you own your own billboards?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

johndeerefarmer

Reaction score
I have considering having some billboards put on my farm. I will not be leasing the land to the billboard company. I will own the billboards and lease it to customers.

Do any of you do this? What monthly income can be expected from this?
Some of my land is on a 4 lane farm to market road. I don't have the traffic count data yet.

It is worth my time to do this or should I just lease it to a billboard company and let them handle it all?

Thanks

Big Muddy rancher said:
On a busy day we get 10-12 cars a day. Not much of a Bill board market in the Big Muddy. :wink:

"Bill" would be "bored" driving through our country, too. Once in a while I've gotten stuck or had a pickup not start. Even after you walk miles to a "main" road, you can wait quite awhile for someone to come along. Usually when they do, though, they are kind enough to stop.

I picked up a hitch-hiker in Cody yesterday, and gave him a ride to Merriman. He was clean shaven and nicely dressed in brand new Carhartt coveralls. He was also wearing new lined leather gloves. Early yesterday morning he had started out in North Platte. Just a ways out of town, a pickup had stopped to give him a ride. They hollered, "Just throw you bag in the back and you can ride up front with us." He threw his warbag, containing two pairs of jeans and two shirts, besides long underwear and his shaving kit, into the back of the pickup. As he walked to the door, the driver peeled out in the pickup, taking his bag and leaving him stranded with just the clothes on his back. He was a little upset to say the least. Fortunately a vehicle came along soon thereafter, and gave him a ride to Valentine. He seemed like a nice chap, and I gave him a little money to buy supper with. However, the more I think about all his brand new clothes and the "soft" handshake when we parted ways, it makes me wonder if he had just recently been released from a jail somewhere. Hope he finds work at the packing plant in Gordon, which was his ultimate destination.

Interesting story, Soapweed.

I gave a guy down on his luck at the Billings Livestock Commission, $20 once. He was on the phone, trying to get a job somewhere and could hear him (he was talking pretty loud). So I felt sorry for him. Quick as I laid that $20 down, he grabbed it and rushed out the door a happy man. Heck, if he hadn't been in such a hurry, I might have given him $40.

Jack teased me quite a bit and quite often for doing that. he said the guy looked like he had a new lease on life or big plans somewhere...
:wink:

You just never know. Sometimes it is someone that really needs help.

I might easily give someone money but I'd never ever pick up a hitch-hiker.
After getting to know some inmates over the years I've learned you just can't tell from looking at a person if they're dangerous or not. So many women in prison look like innocents- blue eyed, blond, spunky, friendly, cheerleader types that talk a good convincing line but are in the clink for very violent crimes. It is only after getting to know them better that the fascade begins to crack and it seems remotely possible they could have done the dark deed. But on first impressions-no.
Sad to become so skeptical of mankind.

I have two billboards that I allowed a company to put up. I get $100.00 per month each and I do nothing. I required them to place them in existing fence rows. It has worked for about 5 years and if I had other ground along a hiway I would go with the same company.

They keep the area clean and change the boards regularly and the check comes on time.

Our mailbox is three miles from the house. But it's better than having to go to town.

People often comment on how "far out in the boonies" we are on this place. Nah... we get mail everyday! I've lived on ranches where the mail was only delivered every other day. :)

So far as a billboard... We're twelve miles from pavement... :wink:

Its a fourteen mile trip to town for our mail.And we're lucky if we have two vehicals drive down our road in a day.

We have a tourism billboard on our land and we get $400 per year. I guess we are helping the tourist effort. Just as long and they keep going on to Colorado Springs.

The sign had to be relocated due to highway reconstruction. A neighbor moved it 50 feet and collected $3000.

I will occasionally pick up a hitchhiker depending on the weather, etc. But I keep a can of pepper spray real handy. If it is used, no one is going to drive that truck for a couple of weeks.

We are so far out in the sticks that we don't get Monday Night Football till Thursday Mornin
:lol: :lol:

Latest posts