• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Do not press 90# on your cell phone. Here's why:

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
90# on your telephone I dialed '0' to check this out, and the operator confirmed that this was correct, so please pass it on.. (l also checked out snopes.com <http://snopes.com/> and truthorfiction.com <http://truthorfiction.com/> This is true, and also applies to cell phones!)
> PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW
> I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician (could also be Telus) who was conducting a test on the telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine (9), zero (0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up.
> Luckily, I was suspicious and refused. Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.
>
> I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons. DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE...
> The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.
> After checking with Verizon they also said it was true, so do not dial 90# for anyone !!!!! PLEASE HIT THAT FORWARD BUTTON AND PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!

I know at our prison inmates can only call preapproved people. So they cant just call any number since they have to enter in thier code and if the number is NOT on thier approved list it will not connect. Its all done via the computer which is at another location other than the prison.

Just stopped in to read the forum and saw this post. This has been going around since the 90s.
The following from folklore and urban legends.

--------------------------------------------------------
What the warning letter floating around the Net doesn't say is that this scam only works on telephones where you have to dial 9 to get an outside line. Unless you have to dial 9 to get an outside line at home, this scam does not affect residential telephone users. Dialing "nine-zero-pound" on a residential phone will only give you a busy signal. That's it.

On some business phones, however, dialing "nine-zero-pound" may transfer a call to an outside operator and give the caller the opportunity to call anywhere in the world and charge it to your business' phone bill ... maybe. It all depends on how your business' telephone system is set up. If your company doesn't require you to dial 9 to get an outside line (for example, if you have a direct outside telephone line on your desk or if your company's phone system requires you to dial a number other than 9 to get an outside line) the "nine-zero-pound" scam does not affect you. Also, if your company's phone system is set up so that you cannot make a long distance call once you have accessed an outside line (a lot of companies now limit all outside lines to local calls only), the "nine-zero-pound" scam does not affect you either.
The "nine-zero-pound" story only affects those businesses that require you to dial 9 to get an outside line and then place no restrictions on who or where you can call once you get that outside line. And, just to be anal-retentive, let me say one more time that, unless you have to dial 9 to get an outside line at home, this scam does not affect residential telephone users. [It also probably doesn't affect non-U.S. telephone users. This is especially true for British telephone users whose telephone system is so complex that NO ONE in the UK knows how to use BT's phones (although I am sure that BT users are currently dealing with some sort of "dial q-seven-pi-cromwell-eleventeen-tomato" scam)].

Latest posts