• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Do they have a book called "Dogs for Dummies"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mrs Leanin' H

Reaction score
I don't know much about dogs, nor am I that fond of them, but I would like to have one around. Trouble is we've tried 3 dogs now and we can't keep them from killing chickens. So, those of you with Border Collies, are they good with kids and chickens?

There is a great book written by a very smart man named Soapweed which is titled "Dogs are over-rated". Having read it myself, I'd suggest sticking with cow cats. :wink:

try soaking the chickens in tobasco sauce. after one bite, the dog will never look at a chicken again. :? :wink:

I never had any goats bred on this outfit! We HAD 2 young nannies who are now the property of a couple in Payson Utah!! :D :D :D :D We are goat free!!! Justin, however, has a rapidly and ever growing flock of goats! He is the goat baron and probably wrote the book Big Muddy was talking about! :lol: :lol:

We have a board sidewalk from the house to the yard fence. There are several steps associated with this deal, and sometimes they are hard to negotiate in the dark, even for me, and I was the one who built the sidewalk. A few years ago, for Christmas Saddletramp and his wife gave us some nice plastic lights that are run by solar panels, and they come on when it gets dark enough. One of these was poked into the ground at each step, and they have worked very well ever since, until Archimedes moved into the community. :? I did get a kick out of watching the big brave bloodhound a few nights ago. He had the handle of one of these automatic lights in his mouth, and was traipsing through the very dark back yard with the light illuminating his path. :roll: Archimedes is pretty dumb, but he is kind of smart. :wink: :)

guess what folks.....?

strangest thing. a few days ago i sold the goats. a guy came and picked them up this morning. i asked him where they were headed and he said he was told not to say. but as he was leaving he made the comment about it being a long drive to Utah.

so i'm out of the goat business....so back off. :wink: :D

Justin said:
guess what folks.....?

strangest thing. a few days ago i sold the goats. a guy came and picked them up this morning. i asked him where they were headed and he said he was told not to say. but as he was leaving he made the comment about it being a long drive to Utah.

so i'm out of the goat business....so back off. :wink: :D

Who says that there isn't peer pressure in ranching. :D

Suddenly we have two ranchers who have mysteriously sold their goats. :wink: :roll: :roll:

Now I see why shoer is so deadset against me getting a couple goats......I think they are cute and would be fun to have around.
Oh well maybe I can talk him into a couple sheep. I LOVE roasted lamb and have always wanted to learn how to spin.

Yall couldnt get my goat cuz I spend too much time in PB :wink: :wink: :twisted:

Mrs Leanin' H said:
I don't know much about dogs, nor am I that fond of them, but I would like to have one around. Trouble is we've tried 3 dogs now and we can't keep them from killing chickens. So, those of you with Border Collies, are they good with kids and chickens?

I have a few border collies and none of them have showed any interest in chasing or eating chickens. I thankfully don't have any kids but I would feel comfortable with mine being around them. However don't forget that border collies are herding dogs and most herding dogs have natural instinct, when they don't have a job such as herding sheep or cows they may start herding chicken or children.

Jamie,
Thanks for the info. I had heard they are super smart and needed to be kept busy, but wasn't sure if it was true.

Latest posts