• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Do we have a Kelpie???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sergi

Reaction score
i all, we are from Spain and we suspect we have a Kelpie (she was collected from dog pound) since her trainer told us that she had highly matching characteristics (body shape, color pattern, size, coat length and texture, bone structure, musculature, facial features, personality traits, etc). However nobody here knows well about this kind of breed (very rare in Spain)

what do you think??

rotrysmalldu4.jpg

We would be happy if anybody could help us to find a reliable way to identify if our dog is ceratinly a Kelpie.

She looks pretty close to me. Can't say for sure, but she definitely has the color and look.

here's a link with info on the Australian Kelpie

http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/dogbreeds/australiankelpies.html

Looks to be like you've got one.

But the pictures you posted look like two different dogs...which one of them is the picture of your dog?

no, they are the same dog, but the one on the right hand is moving and she looks different.

here another one

p9252094smallqh7.jpg

thank you for your answers!!!!

While it wouldn't stun me if she has some Kelpie in her she looks a bit blockier than most Kelpies I have seen. I have seen some Kelps that have had pit or healer put in them that have a bit more bulk, like this gal has, but I haven't seen hundreds of Kelpies, just a few dozen.. She reminds me of a bulkier version of my Blue who most Kelpie breeders I have met are convinced has some heeler in him.. He is in rough shape right now, just finished fighining off an infection and he always struggles in the cold, poor baby. Hoping to get him back in shape with his new diet..

thank you IL Rancher for your valuable opinion. Most of the kelps we have seen through internet (we have no other ways) seems to be blocky, but perhaps she looks a litlle bit more, we're not sure.

I'm glad about the good news from your blue kelp. :)

The one picture, with the face pointing away from the camera I would say if it wasn't a Kelpie it was at the very least high percentage Kelpie... She looks a lot like my Zeke, who is a straigh Australian bloodline Kelpie.. My two American Kelpies look a lot different from him and each other which leeds me to believe their might be something else in the woodpile...

We go throught this with Blue a couple times a year.. His fur isn't as good as the black dogs fur, he seems to not eat as well as they do and he is older.. If I can find some pictures of them I will post them

hello
i raise kelpies
and i would say the pic on the right looks to a kelpie
but the others show it to have rougher hair than most kelpies
most kelpies have a very slock coat
but i notice that they adapt to their enviorment
when i lived in a colder area my dogs seemed to have a thicker coat than they do now that i live in a somewhat warmer area
i can not see the dogs feet but kelpies have smaller tighter feet than other breeds of herding dogs say bordercollies for instance
how does this dog work
does it have hearding instincts?
or does it just want to drive?
i ask this because the hair coat makes me think it may have some heeler "australian cattle dog" in it
any how if the dogs work suits you than i'd say you have a good dog
my defintion of a good dog is one that gets the work done with you queitly and effecently and make your life easier
until later
jerry

Jerry,

My female from Idaho has longer hair than my Blue from KJ down there in Arnet.. in fact, Blue has very thin hair and not very long..

MY Australian Dog has failry long hair as well... Don't know what it means but I do know the ones with the longer hair do better in the winter than poor Blue, lol.. The two longer haired ones do loose a good amount of that fur in the summer however so I think it has something to do with the "blue" coat color on Blue having an impact.. I know some of the Blues and fawns have just god awful coats because of alopecia.. That being said, Blue is almost Slate in color instead of the more silvery blue you see a lot.

IL
i feel for your blue dog in this weather
i have had sevaral blue dogs and most of them had vey thin hair coats and no under coat as most kelpies have
kj is trying to breed the under coat out of his dogs so they will stand the heat better
i do believe that kelpies adapt to the cliamate and grow a thicker under coat in colder areas
great news about kelpies
i think kj and i are going to be the first breeder to import kelpies into brazil from the states
the man is coming up from brazil today to spend a few days here at the ranch with me and then on saturday we are going over to kj's to work dogs
until later
jerry

They are talking about exporting to Brazil.. Don't think there are Kelpies there.

I do believe there is some difference between the Ausie dogs and the US dogs but that maybe in the eye of the beholder type situaton.. Some of the Ausie backers will talk about some breeding up in the American kennels and some of the American folks will say the Australian dogs aren't strong enough on cattle.. I've talked to both and both make good points and heck, both might even be right although I think some of the Aussie dogs do just fine in the toughness category... Never have seen Zeke turn tale and I know when he has had a stubborn or an aggressive animal it just makes him more determined and ticked off.

FH
we are sending some to brazil
there are very few kelpies down there and there is only two people breeding them so they wanted some outside blood to cross with and out of all the kelpie breeders in the states and austraila they picked us as kj and i raise our dogs and use them to do the same kind of work they do with thair dogs
well i'm off to amarillo to pick the man from brazil up here in just a little while
until later
jerry

well lucky you have kelps there... here in Spain nobody seems to know or even have been told about them.. we're asking trainers, breeders, and the like but no way to obtain info (we're in luck with this forum really!!)

we'd like to find someone who was capable of clearly "in vivo" certify that Rotry is, or at least has part of, a kelpie... but it seems it is difficult to achieve, at least in spain (maybe in other countries in Europe)

On the other hand, we are starting to think in bringing an Australian Kelpie from an australian breeder... could anybody inform us about how to do it??

thx again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There was a news story this morning about a company offering a dna test for dogs to determine breed. I tried to find the name of the company with out any luck. Maybe if you need to know you could find a company that does that locally? They said the cost would be around $30.00 (can).

thx ksvdberg, we're trying all the possibilities and now we don't reject the idea of travelling up to any country in europe.

If you finally find out the name of this company pls let us know.... it would be fantastic..

thx again!

This talk about kelpies has come at a strange time for me. We have border collies but at the moment find ourselves down to one dog as we lost two old ones this year. Griz just passed on at 15 years of age the other day.
In considering our choices when replacing him Kelpies came up and this post so I started checking out Kelpies. Then we remembered a friend from Australia had sent us the book :"The Working Kelpie" BY A.D.(Tony)Parsons. I just got started but was wondering if any of you Kelpie breeders/owners have read this book?
I am thinking that they might be a little short haider for our winters. Altho alot of BC's have to much hair for our hot summers.

Latest posts