• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Doctoring a few

Help Support Ranchers.net:

flyingS

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
778
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern Sandhills Just East of Soapweed
RyanSept11116.jpg

RyanSept11118.jpg

RyanSept11119.jpg

RyanSept11128.jpg

RyanSept11125.jpg
 

R A

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
Looks like some slick one man doctoring! Looks like you used the method of roping around the neck, then circle around them, then you end up with their back feet wrapped up when you pull it tight....Did you? Looks like the horse is doing a great job.
 

bar o ranch

Well-known member
Joined
May 14, 2011
Messages
63
Reaction score
0
Location
ohio
Great pictures. Love the expression on this horse while he's working. Wish we knew how to work cattle this way, we still bring 'em in the headgate or use the medi dart.
 

LazyWP

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 24, 2009
Messages
1,701
Reaction score
0
You need to quit riding your wife's horse, and use your own, darn it!!!!! I see you are still doctoring the same critters. Hope they turn around soon.

By the way, nice pictures.
 

littlejoe

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana, East Slope
R A said:
Looks like some slick one man doctoring! Looks like you used the method of roping around the neck, then circle around them, then you end up with their back feet wrapped up when you pull it tight....Did you? Looks like the horse is doing a great job.

Looks like an effective variation of the famous 'Sun River Tangle'--think you can see it in one of Charlie Russell's works. A neighbor used to ride over the hill on an appaloosa, leading another saddled one. Very self sufficient guy, he was a one man team roping team. And appreciated it--heaps---when i pointed out to him he couldn't catch a healthy one by mistake....
 

flyingS

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
778
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern Sandhills Just East of Soapweed
cowboykell said:
Without a neck rope, looks like a wreck waiting to happen.
I can't ever remember one getting up, but I can tell you if they did, tied close like she is I can step back on her. If by chance I couldn't get on her I would clear out until she got it under control then get back on and start again.
WP, yer not supposed to tell everyone I have to ride my wife's mare. If Casper could ever figure out how to run he could move up the totum. We are very lucky to have her. She is not the prettiest to luck at nor is she the best at anything but she can do about everyting but speak english.
 

flyingS

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
778
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern Sandhills Just East of Soapweed
cowboykell said:
Without a neck rope, looks like a wreck waiting to happen.
I can't ever remember one getting up, but I can tell you if they did, tied close like she is I can step back on her. If by chance I couldn't get on her I would clear out until she got it under control then get back on and start again.
WP, yer not supposed to tell everyone I have to ride my wife's mare. If Casper could ever figure out how to run he could move up the totum. We are very lucky to have her. She is not the prettiest to luck at nor is she the best at anything but she can do about everyting but speak english.
 

R A

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 23, 2010
Messages
1,088
Reaction score
0
Location
Missouri
littlejoe said:
R A said:
Looks like some slick one man doctoring! Looks like you used the method of roping around the neck, then circle around them, then you end up with their back feet wrapped up when you pull it tight....Did you? Looks like the horse is doing a great job.

Looks like an effective variation of the famous 'Sun River Tangle'--think you can see it in one of Charlie Russell's works. A neighbor used to ride over the hill on an appaloosa, leading another saddled one. Very self sufficient guy, he was a one man team roping team. And appreciated it--heaps---when i pointed out to him he couldn't catch a healthy one by mistake....

Your neighbor does sound like a self sufficient guy! I'll have to see if I can find what you talk about in Charlie Russell's work. I happened to see Peter Campbell doing all kinds of pasture situation roping one night on RFDTV, years ago.....I got most of it taped and have wore out the tape. :D The one man doctoring on there as been very useful out in the pasture for me. The rope em, let them fight it a little and circling thing while they are standing still works great! Then a short time after that show was aired, a show with Joe Wolter and Bill Dorrance came on.....got that taped also. Both shows have really helped me and I guess that's what got me hooked on using the long ropes and really like seeing how people do that stuff like these pictures here.
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,941
Reaction score
170
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
Bill Dorrance was on RFD-TV once? WOW!! You could probably
sell copies of that tape.

flyingS--nice, nice horse. If you changed mineral you wouldn't have
to doctor...... :p ......but then it would be like here, and your horses
wouldn't be any good any more!! :D

How old is that mare? I like your saddle and breast collar too!
 

flyingS

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
778
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern Sandhills Just East of Soapweed
That mare has been 6 or 7 for several years now :D. I have forgotten how old she is, trying to think back I think she is actually 9. I started her for a close friend and my wife fell in love with her, so we bought her the following spring. I am quite found of her, she has been an exceptional all-around horse and is as dependable as any you will find. The Saddle is a Bill Cook (Sulpur Oklahoma) wade, and the pulling collar is a Colorado saddlery. Nothing fancy just useable. Sorry I forgot my manners FH, Thank You for the compliment on the mare.
The gentleman that owns the cattle wanted me to put out Redmond's Salt. I can't say that I have seen the problem get any worse maybe a touch better. I can honestly say I do not care to doctor this bunch. If I had more time it would not be so bad, the pasture has some big draws with a fair number of trees in them and some of the cows are a little wild. The combination can make for a long day. That particular evening most of the cows were on top and I was able to doctor 3 cows and 3 calves in about an hour and a half or less. So what kind of mineral would you suggest FH?
 

littlejoe

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2011
Messages
1,635
Reaction score
0
Location
Montana, East Slope
I like the redmont salt, get it in totes for about $200, loaded up with organic iodine. Must not be no appy lovers on here----my remark to my neighbor (all in fun) about not catching no healthy ones by mistake was that they couldn't run fast enuf...
 

Faster horses

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 11, 2005
Messages
28,941
Reaction score
170
Location
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
flyingS said:
That mare has been 6 or 7 for several years now :D. I have forgotten how old she is, trying to think back I think she is actually 9. I started her for a close friend and my wife fell in love with her, so we bought her the following spring. I am quite found of her, she has been an exceptional all-around horse and is as dependable as any you will find. The Saddle is a Bill Cook (Sulpur Oklahoma) wade, and the pulling collar is a Colorado saddlery. Nothing fancy just useable. Sorry I forgot my manners FH, Thank You for the compliment on the mare.
The gentleman that owns the cattle wanted me to put out Redmond's Salt. I can't say that I have seen the problem get any worse maybe a touch better. I can honestly say I do not care to doctor this bunch. If I had more time it would not be so bad, the pasture has some big draws with a fair number of trees in them and some of the cows are a little wild. The combination can make for a long day. That particular evening most of the cows were on top and I was able to doctor 3 cows and 3 calves in about an hour and a half or less. So what kind of mineral would you suggest FH?

You are kidding, right? :wink: :p :lol: :lol:
Call katrina, she'll tell you. :nod:
I would be happy to give you her phone number. :D

Doctoring that many cattle can't be fun, regardless of riding
a good pony. BTW, I too, like her expression!
 

flyingS

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 12, 2009
Messages
778
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern Sandhills Just East of Soapweed
Can I buy your mineral for 250/ton? :twisted:

I don't mind doctoring numbers of cattle if I don't have to gather them up to do it. I am a little spoiled, I don't like trees, I can handle the draws and love big hills. Mainly I like to be able to see the country and not have to hunt cattle. No bigger than this pasture is it wouldn't take me long to cover it, if half of it weren't trees. I am used to big hills with valley's and flats, as Katrina has said there is no place like home.
 

VB RANCH

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 10, 2005
Messages
765
Reaction score
0
Location
leader minnesota
used to doctor cattle that way, quite a few of them matter of fact. had a 2 inch brass ring sliding around on my loop then i would tie the tale of the rope to it so i could get rid of the over zealous ones. really makes horses
 

Justin

Well-known member
Joined
Mar 2, 2008
Messages
4,785
Reaction score
0
Location
NW South Dakota
nice pony :tiphat: but it appears you were a couple days late treating that first critter :wink: :D
 

katrina

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 14, 2005
Messages
8,776
Reaction score
2
Location
East north east of Soapweed
We doctored 15 head at one time with more getting hoofrot out of 175 last winter. We changed mineral and within two weeks all of our problems were gone. We then ordered a mix of mineral to fill our needs thru the spring and summer now into fall with a truck load...... Call me!!
 

Latest posts

Top