• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Does anyone know what this weed is?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
It is near a small drainage ditch. We hadn't noticed it until this year but it's doing really good now. It is not a burr, it's much softer than a burr. At this point, anyway.
20230715_185940.jpg
20230715_192928.jpg

We have it here along the irrigation ditches. I have no idea on the name and can't find it in any of the local grass or weed ID photos. Swamp grass sounds good as anything. Closest thing I can find is a false brome. It is probably classified as a weed or grassy weed.

It looks like a lot of Rocky Mountain Rush and also maybe a Cottongrass Bulrush mixed in. The lower photo sure looks like Rocky Mountain Rush. We have both of those along the irrigation ditches here. The Rush seems to be good buddies with the Sedge.

I may be way off, but that is my final answer. :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I have the "picture this" app and this is what it says. That app has really came in handy for me. It's not freee but worth every penn.

Attachments

• IMG_3012.png
    IMG_3012.png
    6.4 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3013.png
    IMG_3013.png
    731.5 KB · Views: 16
I have the "picture this" app and this is what it says. That app has really came in handy for me. It's not freee but worth every penn.
That sure looks like it, Nicky, thanks.
Now I can try and find what to do about it.
We've never seen it before, but it fits and it is near a small drainage ditch.
You were right too, MC. Thanks both of you.

That sure looks like it, Nicky, thanks.
Now I can try and find what to do about it.
We've never seen it before, but it fits and it is near a small drainage ditch.
You were right too, MC. Thanks both of you.

According to the Wyoming Ext guide it would be Baltic Rush but another site has it as Rocky Mountain Rush and it sure looks like what we have here and also I remember from Colorado. My dad called it Bulrush and often commented that liberals were full of bulrush. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Both Baltic and Rocky Mountain are Juncus and only the second name differentiates them. Juncus Saximontanus and Juncus Balticus. I think the difference is only known by those that wear to the knee khaki cargo shorts, knee high white socks, hiking sandals, chin stringed floppy canvas hats, wear a back and fanny pack and whistle, "The Answer Is Blowing In The Wind." :sneaky:

I have often wondered, why not just wear long pants? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Looks very similar to our slough grass. I cut and bale as far into the sloughs as I can get without getting stuck.
IMG_2594.jpeg

Thanks, Silver. Do the cattle eat it?
Yes. Gcreek calls it bullfrog alfalfa. It can test similar to brome for nutrition, but I think its palatability isn't as good. They do eat it. Old timers here liked to feed it when it was really cold because the claim was that they made more body heat from the digestion process. I just know that years like this I'm happy to have it.

Latest posts