• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Does anyone remember this?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I am the original owner of Jeep. I am now 70 years old. I showed Jeep at several county fairs in Colorado and sold him in Kansas City at the American Royal. I am in the process of writing a book on Big Mac....or should I say the "Ghost of Big Mac"

No I am not Jack's I am Kirk Daves. My dad worked for Jack Orr. "JEEP" was one of my 4H steers. My Dad picked at steer out from the Skylark ranch in Parshall, CO. When we went to pick the steer up, he had been accidently sold and was no longer there. The owner felt really bad for the mistake but let My Dad pick out a bull calf instead. The bull calf ended up being Jeep. Jeep went on to become the "Big Mac" steer that was dyed black. You probably read that Jack's son came running in to where Jack was finishing up chores in the yards at Denver. That is true.....but only after I told his son (Clair) that I had been looking at the competition on the hill. I had another steer I was showing the next day in the Junior show and wanted to see what was there. I saw this big black steer standing up at the end the row and walked up and looked him over. I said "hello JEEP". It's funny I recognized him because he was snow white when I was showing him. Eldon Miller was in the feeding alley in front of Jeep. I knew Eldon as being a steer jockey. I told Eldon "hey you missed a white spot on his foot" He immediately turned red and got angry. I ran into Clair Orr and took shortly after that and took him and showed him the steer. He was just amazed at my find. After that we went running down to the yards and found Jack. We all went back to find JEEP but he was no where to be found. He wasn't seen again until the next day. I amd the one who started the protest that caused all the officials holding up the show to look at "Big Mac" All the people in the know and hi to do vets and cattlemen said "yes this an angus steer" They allowed him to be shown. Boy were they WRONG. The rest is just history. Hope this clears it up for you.

No I am not Jack's I am Kirk Daves. My dad worked for Jack Orr. "JEEP" was one of my 4H steers. My Dad picked at steer out from the Skylark ranch in Parshall, CO. When we went to pick the steer up, he had been accidently sold and was no longer there. The owner felt really bad for the mistake but let My Dad pick out a bull calf instead. The bull calf ended up being Jeep. Jeep went on to become the "Big Mac" steer that was dyed black. You probably read that Jack's son came running in to where Jack was finishing up chores in the yards at Denver. That is true.....but only after I told his son (Clair) that I had been looking at the competition on the hill. I had another steer I was showing the next day in the Junior show and wanted to see what was there. I saw this big black steer standing up at the end the row and walked up and looked him over. I said "hello JEEP". It's funny I recognized him because he was snow white when I was showing him. Eldon Miller was in the feeding alley in front of Jeep. I knew Eldon as being a steer jockey. I told Eldon "hey you missed a white spot on his foot" He immediately turned red and got angry. I ran into Clair Orr and took shortly after that and took him and showed him the steer. He was just amazed at my find. After that we went running down to the yards and found Jack. We all went back to find JEEP but he was no where to be found. He wasn't seen again until the next day. I amd the one who started the protest that caused all the officials holding up the show to look at "Big Mac" All the people in the know and hi to do vets and cattlemen said "yes this an angus steer" They allowed him to be shown. Boy were they WRONG. The rest is just history. Hope this clears it up for you.
Good tale............

Latest posts